What amp model gives you best/true Marshall clean sound?

Obviously I can make my own judgements, just wondered what other did, looking for a Marshallesq clean to put the drive pedals in front of. Just looking for a little discussion.

As posted above, I like the JTM45 with the input gain adjusted low until I hear no breakup. But for a nice glassy clean I just put a different amp (Shiva or the EJ clean preset amp) in amp 1 and a different amp in amp 2 that will take the drive pedals. What type of clean (band/music example) are you searching for?

So have some nice tones for santriani I and also 80s hair metal and some classic rock using a variety of Amos like the js410, high gain atomica, and the new plexiglass with 6c7a, and the big hair amp and in those cases use the tube screamer or the OCD, to push an already driven amp...

but I wanted to also do some experimentation with some clean amps with distortion in front (from the drive block), just to see what those tones sound like as well.

Last edited:
Just a quick search looks like the guitar players use a Fender, maybe a Deluxe, and JCM 800 (not sure). I think Mark Day's stock preset has a big, nice clean scene.

I have a marshall based preset I made. For the clean side I have the Brit JVM OD1 Green channel, very low on the amp gain, low bass and mids on the eq side, can go pretty clean and I use a Suhr Riot OD from the FM3 to kick on for dirt. My go to clean now is the Clean Archon model, love it, and with chorus even makes my Les Paul sound a little stratish, its that classic 80s clean tone you hear on loads of albums from that era, very lukatherish. Add some comp and you have a great clean tone for any guitar.

Back
Top Bottom