• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

What amp model for Godsmack tones?

mikeyg

Experienced
Which amp model would you use for their tones? I have a feeling I might get Recto recommendations ... if so, I'm having trouble getting that tone, and could use some pointers...

Wolfenstein98k

Power User
I understand that he has dropped the Recto in favour of a Splawn Quick Rod and the Diezel Herbert, blended. Try those.

Where you're probably struggling - especially if this is your first foray into heavier rock / metal, is the IR. That's where your focus shall be.

I'm not sure what cab(s) Tony Rombola uses, but I'll look it up later and mention it here if I remember.

mikeyg

Experienced
I don't use IRs or cab modeling. I run through a 2x12 with V30s.... but a couple times I've been surprised that turning on the cab modeling does help even when not using FRFR. I can try that, and the amp blending.

Thanks!

Severed

Fractal Fanatic
I played "Awake" and "Something Different" in my cover band. For Amps, I used the "Hot Kitty" and the "5153 100W Red". I used my own mix of UltraRes IR's from my JCM800 412 cab.
So 8 IR's (a mix of near, far, behind, room, etc) of the top 2 speakers on the hot kitty, panned hard left,
and and another 8 IR's of the bottom 2 speakers for the 5153 panned hard right.
Speakers were original Celestion G12-65's.
All EQ was done with the tone controls and the EQ in the amp blocks, Basically, I just listened to his live sound from youtube video's and tried to match it as best as I could by ear.

They play in Drop C, but in my cover band, we played them in drop D. I used an LTD EC-CZ (Clockwork Zombie) with EMG 81/60 Chrome set.

retnuH

Inspired
I played "Awake" and "Something Different" in my cover band. For Amps, I used the "Hot Kitty" and the "5153 100W Red". I used my own mix of UltraRes IR's from my JCM800 412 cab.
So 8 IR's (a mix of near, far, behind, room, etc) of the top 2 speakers on the hot kitty, panned hard left,
and and another 8 IR's of the bottom 2 speakers for the 5153 panned hard right.
Speakers were original Celestion G12-65's.
All EQ was done with the tone controls and the EQ in the amp blocks, Basically, I just listened to his live sound from youtube video's and tried to match it as best as I could by ear.

They play in Drop C, but in my cover band, we played them in drop D. I used an LTD EC-CZ (Clockwork Zombie) with EMG 81/60 Chrome set.

Off topic but nice pics, Severed. I had to scroll through all of them to check out all your gear and you have some sweet stuff going on.

Top Bottom