What amp did the Axe-Fx III make you discover and fall in love with?

The beauty here is what the AX FX has always been all about. Something for everyone. I love these responses because they are truly all over the board!

The 1959SLP is a bit obvious. But I’ve never had the chance to own a superlead. I really love how the 1959 normal channel sounds with a Les Paul. Bass really low, and treble high. For me that’s pure rock dna.

Vox. I already owned a bunch of amps, but none with a Vox circuit. So these are nice. As Chris posted, it’s also nice not to need multiple amps and pedals onstage, to get the right sound.

Good thread, by the way.

The only amp I ever owned was a fender HRD, so they’re all new to me! I am luuuuurving the new AC-20 stock patch with my strat, on EF86 treble. Just perfect, sweet and full tone with delicious juicy crunch but never shrill. Finally I am hearing with my ears what I heard in my head! (No not the voices...)

Ok, as much as I fell in love with the JP IIC+,
I think I now prefer the IIC++ over it.

I've also been having a blast with the Friedman BE C45 for a hard rock rhythm tone and the Bogner XTC red for a smooth liquid lead.

I have 4 new presets to try at my next band rehearsal. Lol. They are going to freak out.

Interesting fact about the Euro Red : I had a real Bogner Ecstacy 101b for a little while, but never really dug it... But I love the crap out of it with the Axe. Easier to dial a tone, in my opinion.

Other interesting fact with the Euro Red, @York Audio new Bogner IRs pack just go so perfectly with it! (As well as all my experimentation with the Friedman BE/HBE)

Every amp brings a smile on my face, but the amp I love the most is the Cameron atomica. Never owned one but I hope someday I can check the real amp

Just curious to see for others!

I, for myself, am huge hot-rod Marshall fan. My all time favorite amp (at least that I've owned) is the Soldano SLO 100. (Agree to disagree but the Soldano is like the perfect modded Marshall : The aggression of the 800 with some high end smoothness when cranked...

Anyhow, although the Rectifier arguably copied the SLO preamp, I have never been a fan of Rectifiers or other Mesa's amp for that matter.
I've owned a Mark V, years ago, and never truly bonded with it.

Anyway, to get on topic, I have totally fell in love with the IIC+ and JP IIC+ with the Fractal.
So much, that if I were to buy a real amp tomorrow, it would probably be the JP IIC+ !

What about you guys!
great thread

These three are my current favorites, but there are so may good amp models to choose from!

JP2C. Love it with Strats!
Komet 60
Morgan AC-20 EF86 Treble

I discover new stuff everytime I turn the thing on. Constantly playing with it and so I get to amps Ive never played in a hardwre version. But, I have found some go to amps and some are not what I have favored in the past (JCM900) for high gain.

Ive just build rigs based on a single amp or a combo of amps depending on what I want to accomplish.

Generally, my favorite amps in the Axe III are:

Fender Double Verb
Matchbox
Morgan
Diezel VH4
Friedman BEV1
Lonestar
C++

Pretty much everything covered. I usually end up using the same FX chain on each.

The Plexi 50W bass channel with the trebble booster in front. What a sound!

And thanks to Pete Thorn for doing the real hardware deno of this on his Youtube channel.

I never would have thought of trebble boosting the bass channel, but apparently it was a studio favorite setup back in the day.

I know I'm late given we're on page 3, but it'd be cool if when people talk about their fave amps, they could give a cab or two they like with each one.

Good point. IR plays an important role in the final tone, and an amp may sound totally different through different cabs.

I know I'm late given we're on page 3, but it'd be cool if when people talk about their fave amps, they could give a cab or two they like with each one.

Totally, maybe be go as far as some tips here and there on how they dial it up!

I'll check mine when I get back.

I went from the JPIIC+ to the IIC++.
My favorite IRs are the recto mix 01, 02 and 08 from York Audio. I currently am using 02 for my crunch sound and 08 for my liquid lead.

@York Audio, talking about the man! The myth! The legend!

I'm curious how you like the Friedman 2018 C45. All the tips given for my Soldano patch have been amazing. So I trust your ear very much! 😊

Totally, maybe be go as far as some tips here and there on how they dial it up!

I'll check mine when I get back.

I went from the JPIIC+ to the IIC++.
My favorite IRs are the recto mix 01, 02 and 08 from York Audio. I currently am using 02 for my crunch sound and 08 for my liquid lead.

@York Audio, talking about the man! The myth! The legend!

I'm curious how you like the Friedman 2018 C45. All the tips given for my Soldano patch have been amazing. So I trust your ear very much! 😊

Those are my go-to Mesa mixes as well.

The IIC++ is probably my favorite Mark series model at the moment, so I feel you there.

As far as the HBE 2018 C45 goes, I have a few subtle tweaks you can play with. First, I set the Gain Enhancer to 1. It doesn’t need much, but that little bit helps the feel IMO. Next, Friedman amps can be a little muddy in the low mids, so I like using the Output Graphic EQ and cutting about 1 dB of 250 Hz. You can go deeper, but I find that minimal cuts or boosts give you a more natural result.

When the EQ feels good, I’ll tweak the gain. Depending on the guitar, I lower the input drive or drop the input trim to about .7 or .8. to clean up the distortion texture a tad.

Lastly, some guys hate top end air and some guys love it. If you like air and aren’t getting it with the Friedman models, go to the preamp page and bring up the preamp high cut. I like it anywhere from 10k-16k if I’m going for a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 thing.

It’s interesting to me that while I was exposed to and love certain Axe-FX amp models, I’ve been underwhelmed by their counterparts. The models always seem better.

Next, Friedman amps can be a little muddy in the low mids, so I like using the Output Graphic EQ and cutting about 1 dB of 250 Hz. You can go deeper, but I find that minimal cuts or boosts give you a more natural result.
I generally swap IRs to achieve this sort of small post-amp sound change long before touching an actual EQ. There is usually an IR with different mic position or even a different speaker that does what I want. Sometimes it is a matter of balance if using two IRs in the cab block. Need to lose some mud? Back off the relative gain on the 160 and let the 57 (or e609) shine. Sound a little thin and crispy? Add a bit more 160 and you're phat as a Philly Cheesesteak....

Heck, I only just started dialing in a 24 dB/octave low cut at around 70Hz in the cab block, chopping some of the IM rumble that has crept in with the new, improved accuracy speaker impedance curves with many of the dirtier sounds.

Back
Top Bottom