What amp covers the most territory ?

1poorplayer

Power User
I've got to play some 60's , 70's , and 80's rock for a gig Saturday.

What single amp would you guys recommend that will cover these tones best , - with the help of just guitar volume ?
Mid break-up ( almost clean ) , to crunchy.....

Using a Les Paul BTW...

I've got to play some 60's , 70's , and 80's rock for a gig Saturday.

What single amp would you guys recommend that will cover these tones best , - with the help of just guitar volume ?
Mid break-up ( almost clean ) , to crunchy.....

Using a Les Paul BTW...
Check out the Plexi or JTM45 patches in the exchange - they would be your best fit for this era

I cover lots of genres and I use one amp...Dirty Shirley
Cleans up beautifully with guitar volume but I also use a drive pedal if I want unlimited sustain. :cool:

I use all the amps mentioned above but I keep going back to Friedman, Using almost exclusively single coil (Lace Sensor and Fishman Fluence) Strats and a Tele. Like rolling back the volume to play clean and dialing in the growl. All the amps above can do it but Friedman seems to work best for me. Dirty Shirley is a close second.

If I may make a proposal, I would say the old good AC30 (or clones as Matchless DC, ...)

It works with clean + heavy FX (U2), old good 60's rock and pop clean (Beatles), hard rock (Deep purple), super clean (the shadows), distorsion and loud (Queen), ...

This amp is a real beast. Very versatile

Plexi or JCM800 is a good choice
they clean up

if you're doing a lot of lead work- i'd try the friedman hbe

I second any of those. Especially w/ a couple of drives in there, one low gain and one mid-gain, you'll be able to cover a lot of ground.

Plexi 50w, Dirty Shirley or JCM 800. I'd say between these three amps I could cover 99% of what I do.

The Bogner blue channel is gelling with me for rock stuff at the moment, also run the ts808 model as a boost for leads or heavy tight rhythms.

yeah, i'd say the AC30 as well. beatles to queen to deep purple. it's all there with a couple of drive blocks
when I think of Deep Purple I would never think about AC30, but that is more due to my ignorance than knowledge :)... very curious what drive block or other stuff you would use to mimic Ritchies sound.

i'd say have a stroll around google. it's very difficult to get any definitive answers. ritchie loved ac30's and was using them with early purple. then he tried to get marshall to make him something that sounded similar, but was louder. this gave birth to the marshall major. and then there's even stories of him using the ac30 into the power section of the major. a tape recorder pushed into overdrive into the front of an ac30 was a common trick he used. try the tape drive block. i doubt he ever used the marshall for recording.

http://www.guyguitars.com/eng/interviews/ritchieblackmore.html - ctrl+f for "ac30" and about a third of the way down he talks about them and the marshalls. lots of other bits and pieces of info out there

I suggested the Friedmans because it seemed you wanted more rock and roll....but yeah, the DC30 can cover most everything with drive blocks. I've played 60 song sets before and used it for 95% of the tunes. everything from Keith Urban to Tom Petty to Johnny Cash to Jimmy Eat World. Only time I switched was for the for real 80's rock stuff and I'd use a Friedman for the Bon Jovi/Def Leppard etc.

Back
Top Bottom