What am I doing wrong?

Really appreciate everyone's help. Committed to make this work. Here is an example of the high pitched squeals I am getting, the only thing that makes it stop is when I put mute my strings with my fingers or turn my guitar volume down. This is a recording of in the room not DI.

Really appreciate everyone's help. Committed to make this work. Here is an example of the high pitched squeals I am getting, the only thing that makes it stop is when I put mute my strings with my fingers or turn my guitar volume down. This is a recording of in the room not DI.

That sounds like feedback because of volume.

Describe your signal chain for me again? Specific type of guitar?? --> FM3 --> ???

But what guitar? Details are good here. Thanks!

And if that was a room recording, what were you monitoring with? Something was amplifying the sound, right?
Les Paul studio with a Seymour Duncan distortion bridge pickup. Yes I was monitoring through my Eris studio monitors.

I’ve heard that squeal myself in the past. It was all pervasive, and even at low volumes was a problem. I was trying to emulate an amp at unreal settings - ie, if it was a real amp, it would have been squealing too!
I lowered the gain which got rid of the squeal.
Another thing that helped was using a different value input capacitor on the input…. It’s in the advanced amp settings somewhere… I’m not at my unit right now.
Good luck
Thanks
Pauly

Try to reset the unit to factory defaults.

If you are using your FM3 as an audio interface try to use the direct unprocessed signal from the guitar -> fm3 in your DAW and process it with some hi-gain guitar plugins and send it to your monitors using FM3. If it will sound good for you then the problem is most likely not in your speakers or room treatment, if it will sound similar bad try to check your FM3 output settings.

About the squeal ... It seems like feedback, you could try to lower monitor volume or to lower amp gain, or increase the distance between you and monitors. If preset uses a really hi-gain amp with booster/drive before it you can try to disable the drive/boost block. Tb6 is really high output pickup and it can catch feedbacks really easily.

I almost sold my FM3 when 4.0 came out due to thick mud tones, but did the amp block reset and some minor high pass adjustments with New York IR's and hohohoh man am I glad I didn't sell, sounds bad ass with all my High gain presets. IR's helped the most
Any IR’s in particular you would recommend? What did you use for the high pass adjustments?

Any IR’s in particular you would recommend? What did you use for the high pass adjustments?

Experiment and use your own ears in your own setting. Some go as low as 6K on
the Cab Block and others drop down to 9k-12k. Then there are those who leave
it at 20k and like that. Just play with the settings and trust what sounds good to you. :)

Edit: I go anywhere from 9k to 12k depending on the amp type and cab being used.

It's kind of funny that some users would love to get that kind of feedback and
use it creatively, and then other users don't want nothing to do with it and feel
it is an impediment that needs to be removed.
You know, when I first got my AF3, and after I learned I had to change my expectations a bit, since I thought everything would instantly sound, feel, and do, everything any tube amp would do, I started wondering about how well it would do feedback. But after Cygnus and the updated factory preset, I noticed a lot more rich, harmonic content in many of them, and tbh, I didn't know that's what it was! I thought that when a held note started morphing into a higher note, most commonly an octave, that that's what feedback was. But it's not. I mean, it can be, but that's not what I was hearing (I now understand, and can recognize, the difference. Thank you Fractal!)

So now, I'm not nearly as concerned about being able to get feedback, since that harmonic content is so present in many of the sounds. To me, that is what makes a tone sound glorious! And when you get those harmonics happening, along with sustain..., whew. That's nirvana of guitar tone.

It's kind of funny that some users would love to get that kind of feedback and
use it creatively, and then other users don't want nothing to do with it and feel
it is an impediment that needs to be removed.
I suppose it depends on whether it’s guitaristic feedback or an artifact of modeling/FRFR for me.

More and more there will be folks with zero experience with real amps and pedals that give the player immediate sense for when something is too much. Be it “magic smoke” or uncontrollable feedback. :)

the feedback is probably a combination of volume, proximity to your speakers and massive amounts of gain.

Back
Top Bottom