What am I doing wrong with output 2 of my XL+?

What I want to understand is when I am using my Mesa amp in 4cm all the controls work.
When I am using the amp models of AX8 going into my Mesa amp none of the Mesa amp controls including volume work.Do I use the Mesa amp as my pre amp even though none of the controls work or do I activate the AX8 preamp.
I am switching off between Mesa amp 4cm and presets in AX8.

What I want to understand is when I am using my Mesa amp in 4cm all the controls work.
When I am using the amp models of AX8 going into my Mesa amp none of the Mesa amp controls including volume work.Do I use the Mesa amp as my pre amp even though none of the controls work or do I activate the AX8 preamp.
How exactly are you switching off between them? That might tell us why controls aren’t working.

So this is why when running axe 4CM with my fender hot rod deluxe fx loop,none of the controls on the fender amp respond at all?? If so, Why is this the case with the AxeFx because I used the fender amps fx loop before but with a few reverb and delay pedals and this wasn't the case in that scenario.
Because you were also using your fenders preamp section in that case as a front end, so their controls were active. When using a separate pre you are defeating the internal preamp and all related controls.

When I am using the amp models of AX8 going into my Mesa amp none of the Mesa amp controls including volume work.
The factory presets in the AX8 aren't set up for 4CM. When you use the factory presets, you aren't sending any signal to your Mesa preamp. In that situation, you aren't using the Mesa's preamp at all. The controls on your Mesa amp are part of its preamp, so if you're not using the preamp, those controls have no effect. It's kind of like, when you're driving your friend's car, the brake pedal on your car has no effect. :)

Do I use the Mesa amp as my pre amp even though none of the controls work...?
If the controls on your Mesa have no effect, you already aren't using the Mesa's preamp.

...or do I activate the AX8 preamp?
The factory presets are already using the AX8's preamp.

in addition to connecting the gear in the 4 Cable Method, you have to adjust your Presets to use the 4 Cable Method. you don't just plug things in, the Preset has to be setup a particular way.

it tells exactly how to do this in the user manual for the AX8:

Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 2.46.42 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 2.47.13 PM.png

I understand the 4 cable method with inserting an FX loop in the preset when using my Mesa Boogie. I just wanted to clarify that when I was using the AX8 presets I would disable the cabinet and either disable or enable the preamp sims. Thanks for everyone’s help.

Last edited:
I understand the 4 cable method with inserting an FX loop in the preset when using my Mesa Boogie. I just wanted to clarify that when I was using the AX8 presets I would disable the cabinet and either disable or enable the preamp sims. Thanks for everyone’s help.
The entire amp block is the “preamp sim.”

There is an additional POWER AMP sim in the Global settings that you can turn off. That is something completely different.

As mentioned a few times here, the AX8 presets are not designed for the 4CM.

Going back to the very first post and the original question, just to quote the obvious! if the amplifiers Vol control is before the Effects return in the circuit then it will have no effect on the sound coming from the speaker, that will be controlled by the Axe-Fx. You are not using the 4CM your just using the amp as a back line am i correct. Not sure why the 4CM came into it o_O

Back
Top Bottom