What am I doing wrong with output 2 of my XL+?

Dave Stauble

Hey all.. I'm looking for some insight here.

I'm running my Axe FX2 XL+ using both outputs. Output 1 going to my In Ear Monitor mix, and output 2 going to a live Cabinet via the FX loop return on a tube amplifier.(I've used the effects loop return on two 5150's and an Orange rockerverb 100 with the same problem on all three amps)

Output 1 works fine. No issues at all. However, the output 2 line doesn't function with the poweramp as it should. I need to use the output2 dial on the front of the XL+ to control the volume of the speaker cabinet... I want to use the volume control of the physical amp it's plugged into(like it should, correct?) I want to have the output on the front panel at 100% and use the volume knob on my amp to control the output of the speaker cab. What am I doing wrong?

I think I've perhaps inadvertently changed a global setting, so I reset global settings but that didn't fix the issue.

I'm sure this is a stupid oversight on my end, but I'm stumped. Any insight at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hit the I/O button and move over to the output tab. Make sure Output 2 is set to Echo Output 1

I should add that I'm not getting any output at all from the speaker cabinet(output 2) unless the preset has an fx loop built into the layout of the preset.

Yes. That’s exactly how it’s designed to work. Out 2 is the FX Loop. It mentions it in the user manual.

Thanks for the reply Chris! OK, so FX loop block in every preset. Check... However, I'm still only able to adjust the volume of the REAL speaker cabinet via the output 2 level dial in front.. It was my understanding that I should have this at 100% and manually adjust the volume via the REAL amplifier(power amp) I'm powering my speaker cab with. Is this not correct?

Thanks for the reply Chris! OK, so FX loop block in every preset. Check... However, I'm still only able to adjust the volume of the REAL speaker cabinet via the output 2 level dial in front.. It was my understanding that I should have this at 100% and manually adjust the volume via the REAL amplifier(power amp) I'm powering my speaker cab with. Is this not correct?
Why “still only able”? And no, it is not necessarily 100% is best.

Why “still only able”? And no, it is not necessarily 100% is best.

I say "still only able" because as of now, no gain/vol knobs on my power amp adjust the volume level coming out of my speaker cabinet via output 2. Only the Output 2 Level dial on the front of my axe fx. Not the end of the world, but I was under the impression that I turn the output level dial to 100% on my axe fx and control the volume of what's coming out of my live cab via the power amp controls.

no gain/vol knobs on my power amp adjust the volume level coming out of my speaker cabinet
the Axe is just giving a signal to your power amp. the knobs on the power amp should work just like any other signal; the axe isn't doing anything unique. so you might be plugged into the power amp incorrectly if its knobs don't do anything.

as far as the 100% thing, there is a concept known as Unity Gain - it means with SHUNTS (the blocks with just a line going through), if you turn the Out knobs all the way up, the signal you put in is the same as the signal going out. that's the Unity part. but once you start adding blocks that change the volume - especially Amp and Drive blocks with tons of level - Unity goes out the window and you need to use the Volume knob like a volume knob.

the Axe can put out a ton of signal, so 100% can't be handled by some gear. if it works, that's fine, but you might clip the input of your next device, like the power amp you're using. so you'll need to experiment with the gain staging - maybe 100% is fine, but maybe you have to turn it down if you clip the inputs of the power amp.

the Axe is just giving a signal to your power amp. the knobs on the power amp should work just like any other signal; the axe isn't doing anything unique. so you might be plugged into the power amp incorrectly if its knobs don't do anything.

Yes, this is my original question/issue. I'm plugged from Output 2/L on the AxeFX into my effects loop return on my live amplifier(power amp/Orange Rockerverb 100 at the moment...) and get no response from any volume knobs on the Orange, only the Axe FX output 2 Level dial... That was what I was originally concerned about... perhaps I had some setting wrong on the I/O, Utility or Global menus.

In the I/O menu, I've turned the Output 2 Echo to "output 1" so I get all my presets to work out of output 2, but the volume control issue remains.

If i turn the output 2 Level dial on the front of my axeFX, i can get it as loud as I want, but I'm worried that something is incorrect(which, it seems it is from your quoted reply)

as far as the 100% thing, there is a concept known as Unity Gain - it means with SHUNTS (the blocks with just a line going through), if you turn the Out knobs all the way up, the signal you put in is the same as the signal going out. that's the Unity part. but once you start adding blocks that change the volume - especially Amp and Drive blocks with tons of level - Unity goes out the window and you need to use the Volume knob like a volume knob.

the Axe can put out a ton of signal, so 100% can't be handled by some gear. if it works, that's fine, but you might clip the input of your next device, like the power amp you're using. so you'll need to experiment with the gain staging - maybe 100% is fine, but maybe you have to turn it down if you clip the inputs of the power amp.

Great! Understood. Thank you for that!

Yes, this is my original question/issue. I'm plugged from Output 2/L on the AxeFX into my effects loop return on my live amplifier(power amp/Orange Rockerverb 100 at the moment...) and get no response from any volume knobs on the Orange, only the Axe FX output 2 Level dial... That was what I was originally concerned about... perhaps I had some setting wrong on the I/O, Utility or Global menus.
a setting on the Axe-Fx will not affect how your power amp physical controls work at all. perhaps describe how you're connected exactly so we can solve it. but again, it has nothing to do with the axe. it is simply a signal being sent to the amp.

In the I/O menu, I've turned the Output 2 Echo to "output 1" so I get all my presets to work out of output 2, but the volume control issue remains.
the Echo function will get a copy of the Out 1 signal to Out 2. this will give the Cab Block simulation to your Out 2 and amp. you may not want this if you are using a real cabinet. look at the link i posted above for the solution to have Cab sims to one output, but no cab sims to another output.

a setting on the Axe-Fx will not affect how your power amp physical controls work at all. perhaps describe how you're connected exactly so we can solve it. but again, it has nothing to do with the axe. it is simply a signal being sent to the amp.

That's what I thought also...
Ok, my guitar plugged into the Input of the AxeFX>Output 2/L to Effects loop Return of my Orange. Speaker out of Orange to Speaker Cabinet.

I do not have output 1 plugged into anything currently as I use that for my IEM when I practice with my band/play shows. I'm working this out in my bedroom at the moment.

the Echo function will get a copy of the Out 1 signal to Out 2. this will give the Cab Block simulation to your Out 2 and amp. you may not want this if you are using a real cabinet. look at the link i posted above for the solution to have Cab sims to one output, but no cab sims to another output.
Ok, noted. Although, i should add that when I turn the echo on to output 1, i hear no cab simulation (or difference at all) coming out of my live speaker cabinet... And yes, I do have a cab sim on output 1, and a fx loop block for output 2 on the preset I'm using

The effects loop input of your amp(any amp) bypasses the preamp and all volume attenuation controls. You’re going straight to the power amp running full bore. No front panel controls will be active. You control the volume by the output of whatever preamp you are using, in this case output 2 of the axe fx. Everything is working fine, you just weren’t informed on how it’s supposed to work yet. Now you are, so go play your guitar.

Ok, noted. Although, i should add that when I turn the echo on to output 1, i hear no cab simulation (or difference at all) coming out of my live speaker cabinet... And yes, I do have a cab sim on output 1, and a fx loop block for output 2 on the preset I'm using
correct. the FX Loop in the preset will override the Echo function. so just keep that in mind. you want an FX Loop block in every preset of yours for your setup.

and as mentioned above, now that you've described your connections, you are bypassing all of the controls on your real guitar amp, so yes, use the Out 2 knob on the Axe to control volume. if there's a Master volume on the amp, most times that will still control things, but each amp is different.

correct. the FX Loop in the preset will override the Echo function. so just keep that in mind. you want an FX Loop block in every preset of yours for your setup.

and as mentioned above, now that you've described your connections, you are bypassing all of the controls on your real guitar amp, so yes, use the Out 2 knob on the Axe to control volume. if there's a Master volume on the amp, most times that will still control things, but each amp is different.

thank you very much for the clarification! The FX loop block overriding the echo function helps very much as well!
Learning new stuff with this unit everyday!
Thanks for all your help Chris!

The effects loop input of your amp(any amp) bypasses the preamp and all volume attenuation controls. You’re going straight to the power amp running full bore. No front panel controls will be active. You control the volume by the output of whatever preamp you are using, in this case output 2 of the axe fx. Everything is working fine, you just weren’t informed on how it’s supposed to work yet. Now you are, so go play your guitar.
So this is why when running axe 4CM with my fender hot rod deluxe fx loop,none of the controls on the fender amp respond at all?? If so, Why is this the case with the AxeFx because I used the fender amps fx loop before but with a few reverb and delay pedals and this wasn't the case in that scenario.

So this is why when running axe 4CM with my fender hot rod deluxe fx loop,none of the controls on the fender amp respond at all?? If so, Why is this the case with the AxeFx because I used the fender amps fx loop before but with a few reverb and delay pedals and this wasn't the case in that scenario.
It's not an Axe-Fx thing. If the amp's volume knob doesn't work when you're only feeding its effects loop, it'll be that way for any pedal you feed it with.

When you used your pedals, you were running 4CM. That means you were using the your amp's preamp section in your signal path. That's why your amp's volume knob still worked.

It's not an Axe-Fx thing. If the amp's volume knob doesn't work when you're only feeding its effects loop, it'll be that way for any pedal you feed it with.

When you used your pedals, you were running 4CM. That means you were using the your amp's preamp section in your signal path. That's why your amp's volume knob still worked.
Ok so, with running this amp with the AxeFx in 4CM it's normal for NONE of the controls on the actual amp to work?

Ok so, with running this amp with the AxeFx in 4CM it's normal for NONE of the controls on the actual amp to work?
No. That's not how it works.

In 4CM, you're using the real amp's preamp, so its controls will work.

The OP is sending his Axe-Fx directly to his amp's FX loop return. He's not using 4CM, so his real amp's preamp is not being used. So none of his amp's controls will work.

Back
Top Bottom