• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

What Am I doing Wrong With Channels?

jw3571

Inspired
Maybe my understanding of using "channels" is wrong, but I thought channels gave you the ability to have different blocks on and off. It works fine when i change the amp on channel B to a different amp, but for example, if i turn off the drive block in Channel A, it turns the drive block off on channel B? What am I doing wrong?

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
You're confusing Scenes with Channels. Channels define the parameters. Scenes define On/Off and Channel for each effect in that scene.

yek

Channels are sets of settings of a single block. The On/Off state of a block is not part of that set.

To set and save the On/Off state of blocks, use presets or scenes.

jw3571

Inspired
Okay, All i'm trying to do is have a dirty and clean channel. So if channel A is my dirty tone with a drive block on, I need a channel B that has a clean amp, but then i'll need a different scene on the clean amp channel so i can turn the drive block off, correct? Is there an easier way to do this?

notalemming

Fractal Fanatic
Okay, All i'm trying to do is have a dirty and clean channel. So if channel A is my dirty tone with a drive block on, I need a channel B that has a clean amp, but then i'll need a different scene on the clean amp channel so i can turn the drive block off, correct? Is there an easier way to do this?
It's not hard. Copy scene 1 to scene 2, set the drive bypass & amp channel to what you want for the clean setting, save.

jw3571

Inspired
I've been messing with this and I don't know if i'm an idiot or if Axe Edit is having problems but I have it set up. Sometimes when I click to go from scene 2 to 1 it switches channels as well? Why does it do that? It's also a pain when you have to switch a channel and a scene when there isn't a foot controller. Am I missing something?

jw3571

Inspired
Also, when I saved it the first time it switched my amps from Channel B to A which ended messing my stock preset.

bdrepko

Fractal Fanatic
Think about it this way. You have a pedalboard with 3 pedals on it. The pedals are a drive, a chorus, and a delay. This pedalboard is a preset. On this pedalboard you want to turn on the drive and turn off the chorus and delay. This would be a scene. Another scene would be the drive is off but the chorus and reverb are now on. Now for the overdrive you have the gain at 5, the tone is at 7 and the level is at 8. This would be a channel on the drive. If you now change the gain to 6, the tone to 2, and the level to 4 this would be another channel.

If there were no channels then you could have only 1 combination of gain, tone, and level per preset. With channels you can have up to 4 different combinations per preset. Now for each scene where the drive is on you can select a particular channel for that drive. Say you want scene1 to be a edge of breakup sound. For this you could select channel 1 of the drive pedal which has a low gain setting. For scene 2 you want a heavy distorted sound so you select channel 2 of the drive pedal which has a higher gain setting. There are channels for almost all blocks so you can use them to select, for example, different amps for different scenes of a particular preset.

Sometimes when I click to go from scene 2 to 1 it switches channels as well?
It will change channels if the particular scene was saved with that particular channel. If you want channel 2 to be selected in scene 1 then you have to select channel 2 while in scene 1 and then save it. If you then want the same channel (channel 2) in scene 2 then you will make sure channel 2 is selected while in scene 2 and then save again.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

jw3571

Inspired
I've got this figured out, thanks for the help. My only problem now is i'm getting a popping sound when switching from scene 1 to scene 2?

is9582

Power User
Are you moving from a low gain to high gain situation? I’ve experienced this, which may not have been an actual pop but it was a loud impulse, and just about jumped out of my shoes.

Top Bottom