What Am I Doing Wrong? (Importing Cab IR's)

ozanerkal

Inspired
Hi everyone, here's what I do to import IR's and what happens:
(BTW, FW:18.12 AxeEdit:3.1.10)

1. In Axe Edit/Axe Manage Cabs/.. I drag the IR.syx file to an empty spot and press save.
Then in an already existing and normal sounding preset, i change the cab from a factory cab to the new user cab (but its name appears a little strange with strange characters inserted), and even though the guitar's volume knob is at zero and the axe's output level knob is at 1/10, I hear a hiss and when i give the guitar a little volume, it's like the sound when there's no cab block, but with extreme clipping and intolerable volume. it goes like this for 3-4 seconds and a warning on the display says too much cpu usage and there's silence.. (btw axe edit shows only 56% cpu usage at that time)

2. Tried to import using Fractal Bot too, but still the same..

3. Only if I import to scratchpad, i think i get the normal sound of a cab.

so,

1. Is there a specific setting for user cabs that i might have accidentally changed that causes this?
2. Are IR's FW specific? i.e. am I supposed to use IR's specially made for my current FW version?
3. Could it be that among all the normally functioning elements of my AFX, only the "user cab memory" is broken?

By the way, I recall successfully importing and using Kalthallen IR's back at FW16, then upgrading to 17 and getting this kind of "corrupted" sound.. And when I went back to 16 to fix this, it remained corrupted.. Since then, I gave up on using user cabs.. until now.. so something must have changed then....

Please help, thanks

As far as I am aware IR's have no particular firm ware that they would be made for. there is a difference in the way the IR file for the model of axe fx you have. what IR's are you trying to load? are they the proper files. Try some other files, maybe the ones you are trying got corrupt during down load.

Well currently I'm having this trouble with Clark Kent's Generation Y IR's. The package includes versions for mark ii, xl and xl+. So I'm loading the xl ones. But these are not the only IR's that I have had trouble with.. As I said, previously I had trouble with Kalthallen IR's after a FW upgrade, and it persisted even after I downgraded, so I gave up using user cabs. Also, among my recent efforts I've tried an Ownhammer IR which resulted in silence...

Sounds like your IR is corrupt.. the weird chars in the name alone indicate that...

Sounds like your IR is corrupt.. the weird chars in the name alone indicate that...

Yes,
But no matter what IR I load, weird characters appear, and when I delete it, it doesn't say "EMPTY" as before, but shows "[[[[[[[[[[[["
Maybe there's a physical error with the memory chips, maybe they are dislocated.. but everything else works fine..

Back
Top Bottom