What am I doing wrong? AFX3 sounds awful when played loud

How about low cut/high cut in the cab/IR section? 85/8500 usually works for me. Sorry if it’s been said before.

Start with your own preset. Just amp and cab with the looper. record a pattern then just let the pattern repeat. turn up to the output volume you need then start tweaking. This was a revelation for me. It allows you to listen as you try things without having to play adjust play adjust.

The Trio 11 Be are very good monitors but they are VERY heavy. The tweeters are little too directional as well so you have to be careful with placement.

I couldn't even find stands that were rated high enough to support the weight so I had to have a pair of custom stands made for them.
"Heavy?" When I started reading that sentence, I thought the word was going to be "expensive." Jeez, @ 4 grand a pop, I suppose the sound would be "glorious." :)

This is one reason I wish you guys would make a dedicated powered FR FR speaker. If you did all the guys that aren't confident programming (those that buy presets for a start) could just buy it and know that this is how it sounds instead of trying to get a tone with not very compatible gear. You could just have a setting for: AXE CAB and off you go instead of chasing something that your FR FR is murdering. Did someone say Head(fuck)rush. :tearsofjoy:
While in theory, this may seem like a good idea, there are many price points, as well as features available in the various brands, that simply wouldn't be right for every user. Tastes and budgets being different, and whatnot...
This is a totally new area for me, and I'm basically in research mode. I hardly have a handle on it yet, and I may have to take my Axe to some stores to listen for myself. I wish it was as simple as back when I landed on which amp/cab I wanted, but I'm finding there's many things to consider. Reviews help, and so do recommendations from this forum.

This is one reason I wish you guys would make a dedicated powered FR FR speaker. If you did all the guys that aren't confident programming (those that buy presets for a start) could just buy it and know that this is how it sounds instead of trying to get a tone with not very compatible gear. You could just have a setting for: AXE CAB and off you go instead of chasing something that your FR FR is murdering. Did someone say Head(fuck)rush. :tearsofjoy:
Those who are not confident programming would probably just run into the exact same problems. I get that not everyone is willing to put the time into learning everything these boxes can do, even I find new things despite using Fractal for years. But learning at least the basics of amp and cab blocks and gain staging goes a long way. Maybe the startup screen should have a note like "Always adjust presets for the intended output system and volume"

Even if Fractal made an "Axe Cab" someone would manage to complain that it does not sound good because they are running it at minimum volume in a tiny room or something.

I would love to see a "Fractal approved" list of devices though so you can pick a "known good" system whether it's a poweramp for your real cab or a FRFR setup.

Those who are not confident programming would probably just run into the exact same problems. I get that not everyone is willing to put the time into learning everything these boxes can do, even I find new things despite using Fractal for years. But learning at least the basics of amp and cab blocks and gain staging goes a long way. Maybe the startup screen should have a note like "Always adjust presets for the intended output system and volume"

Even if Fractal made an "Axe Cab" someone would manage to complain that it does not sound good because they are running it at minimum volume in a tiny room or something.

I would love to see a "Fractal approved" list of devices though so you can pick a "known good" system whether it's a poweramp for your real cab or a FRFR setup.
Yes together with settings in the Axe global dedicated to the approved FR FR solutions.

someone would manage to complain that it does not sound good because they are running it at minimum volume in a tiny room or something.

Pretty much guaranteed, and that's a good idea.

Sounds like you're clipping somewhere. If you have to turn treble down that much then you are likely clipping somewhere, probably outside the Axe-Fx. If the Axe-Fx is set to +4 dBu it is capable of very high signal levels, enough to overpower some mixers and monitors. Friedmans are dark amps so something isn't right. If you are using XLR cables be sure the mixer/monitor is set to line level not mic level.

As with any modeler the quality of the playback devices is of utmost importance. Right now I'm playing loud through a pair of Focal Trio 11 Be and it sounds stunning. I'm actually comparing the Axe-Fx with several other high-end modeling products in an A/B test and the sound is just exquisite and the feel is amazing.
For $6000 your monitors had better sound AMAZING!!! :)

I thought it was slightly less abrasive than something like 'terrible'.
I think you have to say it in an English accent (I just tried a few regional, and Cockney/South East seems to convey the meaning well), and without up-speaking the end of the sentence. From this side of the Atlantic, made perfect sense as an adjective, and was indeed, extremely polite. The adverb in UK English is "awfully". In fairness, if you are getting any digital or transistor preamp clipping, in or post AFX 3, "horrific" or "horrible" would be a good adjective.

Liam

@FarleyUK Ive got a CLR and a Friedman ASM - Im in Waltham Abbey so not too far away so if you wanted you are welcome to come and have s try on the above and see if it makes a difference. I have a few patches that I've been using live for years which sound good and great when run into FOH. I use the speaker just for some on stage volume. You can also check the setting on the AX3 against mine

I think you have to say it in an English accent (I just tried a few regional, and Cockney/South East seems to convey the meaning well), and without up-speaking the end of the sentence. From this side of the Atlantic, made perfect sense as an adjective, and was indeed, extremely polite. The adverb in UK English is "awfully". In fairness, if you are getting any digital or transistor preamp clipping, in or post AFX 3, "horrific" or "horrible" would be a good adjective.

Liam
English is UK English.

We were supposed to have a band rehearsal tonight, but the bassist and singer had to cancel. I'd already paid for it, so I've just spent the past few hours in here with the AFX3 and the RedSounds.... and I think I've cracked it!

I've applied the following EQ on OUT1 into the RedSounds:

1622748450709.png

That seems to make things much easier on the ears and removes the 'bark' in the frequencies. I've also got them on stands off the floor. Low cut is at 90, Hi is at 6500.

I set up 2 patches, using 4 amps in each - one was with Plexi models, the other was with the HBE, BE, CCV2A and JCM mod, They sound pretty decent - I have to say, the HBE sounds excellent. I think what has also helped is for most of them, I'm using the OH3-10 IR from the GNR Greenback pack. It's dark, but not too dark.

I then tried AustinBuddy's presets, and they sounded much better! I didn't need to apply any EQ.

Thanks so much to everyone for your help and advice!

Back
Top Bottom