What aftermarket MIDI controller are you using?

Hey there guys,
I get that Fractal is a small, yet very effective company, but I am having a hard time waiting for the FC-12 controller to become available.
I have looked into Liquidfoot, which is out of stock and RJM Mastermind which wants a premium price for their controller.
I did purchase a Nektar Pacer controller and it works ok, but I do find that there is a lag in the controller and I have only found a way to access 4 presets with it.
My goal is to use my Axe Fx III live and on the road. With the FC controllers "Now Serving 5/17/18", I believe it will quite some time before I hit get mine, being that I didnt jump on the list until 1/11/2019.
So what is out there that you are using that is comparable to the FC controller? I want something that doesnt experience a latency between switching scenes, has access to my tuner and that I can bank up and down between presets.

I dont mind spending some cash. I will be getting the FC controller, but I do want something nice and reliable in the interim.

Thanks

The Morningstar is very capable. Used it for 6 months or so. Easy to program and a lot of features in a small box.

+1 for the FCB1010. Lotta cheap mods you can do to make it more convenient and alter its functions. I prefer the firmware stock, but I added the MIDImizer MIDI/power mod, which allows you power AND control with a single Ethernet cable, rather than having to power it and also use a MIDI cable.

That said, yes, it is a frustrating wait for the FC. But I waited 27 months for the King of Tone, I can wait a couple years for the FC6 or 12 :)

I'm using a Rocktron Midi Raider with my Axe-FX II and am pretty happy with it. I started off with a Rocktron Midi Mate, which was also good, but was much more limited with less foot switches. When that eventually broke, I was planning to get an MFC at the time, but it was back ordered and there was a long wait, so I opted for the Midi Raider.

I'm using my old trusted Rocktron All Access with my Axe-FX II XL and I could set it up pretty well for everything (preset/scene selection, IA, etc.) except tap tempo.

Hey there guys,
I get that Fractal is a small, yet very effective company, but I am having a hard time waiting for the FC-12 controller to become available.
I have looked into Liquidfoot, which is out of stock and RJM Mastermind which wants a premium price for their controller.
I did purchase a Nektar Pacer controller and it works ok, but I do find that there is a lag in the controller and I have only found a way to access 4 presets with it.
My goal is to use my Axe Fx III live and on the road. With the FC controllers "Now Serving 5/17/18", I believe it will quite some time before I hit get mine, being that I didnt jump on the list until 1/11/2019.
So what is out there that you are using that is comparable to the FC controller? I want something that doesnt experience a latency between switching scenes, has access to my tuner and that I can bank up and down between presets.

I dont mind spending some cash. I will be getting the FC controller, but I do want something nice and reliable in the interim.

Thanks
What capability do you want?

Preset changes only - pretty much anything will work

Presets and IA switches: most midi controllers can do this, but not all. Needs to be able to send OC and CC messages

Preset, IAs and Scenes (maybe channels) - smaller selection of choices: for Scenes and Channels you need to able to send a CC with a specific data value, and Scenes also kind of needs a "switch group" capability to allow a group of buttons to be mutually exclusive (although there are other tricks on some)

Integrated with Axe Fx (all of the above plus "know" the state of effects, scenes, etc and display tuner) - very small list

Just got the Voes MC-5jr for the Ax8 ...
I use bank Ax8 bank 19 for my performance presets.
It took a little while to get the midi commands together necessary to change to selected bank 19 presets.
I had to send 3 programmed commands on the buttons:

1. Voes "custom CC" to send CC#0 with data of 1 ... selects midi-bank two (presets 128-256)
2. Then send a PC command for 16 thru 20 ............... corresponds to presets 1-5 in Ax8 bank 19
3. Then Voes command to turn all other LEDs off ...... new presets always default back to scene 1 in my settings.

Omitting step 3 leave the scene selection from the previous preset still visible on the Voes controller.
You will remain in midi-bank two selection until you send a command to change this in the Ax8 or you power it off,
whereupon it reverts back to first midi-bank (1 or zero depending on your point of reference).

RJM Makes great products, I had their PBC for a while and even set it up to control my AFX3, other then having to run two midi cables to my rack it was great. I can only guess that the GT16 is better integrated with the AFX3 on a single 7pin midi cable. Do you plan on getting an FC or are you happy with the GT?

RJM Makes great products, I had their PBC for a while and even set it up to control my AFX3, other then having to run two midi cables to my rack it was great. I can only guess that the GT16 is better integrated with the AFX3 on a single 7pin midi cable. Do you plan on getting an FC or are you happy with the GT?

More than happy. I only run one midi cable out to my board. Over the years I’ve stayed away from controllers that only work with one product.

I have an RJM GT-22. I'll switch between it and my FC-6 depending on the gig and what I need to control or how much space I have. Haven't run them simultaneously for a gig yet, but that's also possible if I need a massive amount of immediate control over things.

I am using m my trusty old MFC-101 withmy Axe FX 3. In connection to my JORDI Board Tuner, Preset Names and FX-status work and will be shown on the MFC.

I'm just jumping back into the AXE III. I thought I got myself on the FC wait list but it appears I forgot to hit the send button. I guess realistically is assume I would be more than six months out if I got myself on the list today :( That being said can you set tap tempo with the Voes? The RJM looks very good but a little to $$$ at the moment. I had a Liquidfoot 12 last time but I remember programming was a pain.

Back
Top Bottom