What a great update (12 -> 12.04b/13.xx) + null mic

wembley

Inspired
I realize that I sound like a six year old in a puppy store, but what a great update the last one is. There's been great updates before, but this one really set things straight imho. Prior to 12.04b, especially after v5 somewhere, things did not work out for me with the amps/cabs I'm using. I could hear that some things improved, got more realistic or whatever, but paradoxically some of the things I liked with the Axe all the way back to the Ultra days went missing.

And -- boom!-- 12.04 landed so many things both in the lows and the highs, the response (especially at gig volumes) and the sheer grainyness, swhirl and 3-D of the amp sound. Even without Ultra Res.

An additional surprise was the inclusion of the "null" microphone option. This addition is so freakin' great I can't understand why it doesn't get more attention -- all of a sudden a lot of cabinets (both stock, OHs and RWs) that I found lacking thump or bottom could easily be made working either alone or in combo with other cabs. I've spent this morning rediscovering a bunch of the OH & RW cabinets (and some stock, setting the mic sim to "null" instead of the usual 57 etc.), and it sounds so great just by fiddling with the proximity control. It's really opened up for a lot more cabs for me.

I couldn't possibly agree more. Just the slightest bit of proximity adds so much of the weight and depth that just wasn't there before.

I agree I am coming from fw 5 and 13 is the first fw that makes me want to build all new presets. The ultra Rez cabs are amazing. I will actually try the null mic and proximity tonight (great idea)

Back
Top Bottom