What 2 amps are your favourite to blend together?

When I first got the Axe FX II, I never really thought about blending 2 different amps together. I have been experimenting with different amps. Some have really nice low end and others have really nice high end, so I blend the two and get great tones.

I'm just wondering what your guys favourite two amps to blend together are, and what about each of them makes the tone great? I'm just wondering so I can try out some of what you guys have been doing.

Thanks

-Dan

Cooper has a video on the G66 site, blending the Plexi 100 high and normal amp sims. I tried that too and its pretty good. I would also like to hear what others are doing.

I'll have to check tomorrow, but I found a good blend between the Diesel VH4 and a Plexi. Great sound. I like one of the stock presets too, it's got and Engl and a Mesa. Crazy good tone.

I like blending clean and dirt together and then panning between them. I like a Doubleverb with really low gain and an FAS lead 1. The in between sounds are great, but you can also have total clean and total scream.

I don't blend amps in the Axe-Fx. If I decide to use different amps, I do it when double or quad tracking guitars. So for instance, I'll have a rhythm guitar track with one amp and another rhythm guitar track with a different amp.

My favorites are:

JCM 800 & Mesa Dual Rectifier

Splawn Quickrod & Splawn Nitro

Right Now Im blending two Vibrolux AB's (one clean and one dirt) and its sounding great! Thanks to Tyler for that concept!

in my live presets
left side = 5153Red / right side = Herbert ch3

other combinations I've used to great effect in the studio
gainy riffing: left side = 5153Blue / right side = Herbert ch2+
fat & crunchy: left side = 5153Green / right side = Herbert ch2-
cooking hi-gain [I hot rodded both amps into crazy hi-gainers] left side = MkIIC / right side = JCM800
grungy riffer: left side = MkIIC / right side = 65 Bassman
super funk: left side = Hiwatt / right side = JCM800 [set almost clean]

Dual Recto and ENGL Savage 120.

The bigness of the Recto with the tightness of the Savage is incredible. Picture driving a gunship with the weight and momentum of a freight train but the speed and handling of an F1 racecar.

I'm also thinking about doing this! But that way I'd lose instant switching between different amps. That's basically what's keeping me from it!

Plexi 100 Normal 4x12 + Deluxe Reverb 1x12

Anyone else blending a hi wattage 4x12 style amp with a smaller combo amp like this?

Last edited:
way back in fw5 thru to about fw 8 or 9 I think I ran this
left side = 5150 [the original which I think is the Block Logo one now] / right side = Das Metal [the FAS 'imagined' VH4 - which I still think is actually better than the Dizzy ch4 model]

when I get a little down-time, I may revisit these two..
I need to find out if they are still as sexy as they used to be..
given how much has changed from fw10 to now it'll be worth finding out if they're sexier than the 5153Red and Herbert ch3 combination I use today..

Dual Recto and ENGL Savage 120.

The bigness of the Recto with the tightness of the Savage is incredible. Picture driving a gunship with the weight and momentum of a freight train but the speed and handling of an F1 racecar.

this combination sounds pretty fkn interesting to me...
I may give it a go when I get a lil' "play for fun" moment

Favorite is AC30TB and Morgan AC20 Dlx Bass. For cleans, also mix a variety of black face fenders depending on the song.

Main gain patch is a V1 Recto Orange and Diezel Herbert Ch2+. Amps are only part of the equation though. Gotta have the right IRs paired with them and adjust amp/cab levels until the voices of both amps are balanced.

super funk: left side = Hiwatt / right side = JCM800 [set almost clean]

Interesting blend of amps for a funky tone...I'm not sure if the Hiwatt got the G3 treatment but regardless it's an awesome clean-ish/crunch amp in the Quantum beta firmware...

Back
Top Bottom