What’s your favorite touch sensitive amp?

L

luke

I’m looking to do a preset with an amp that when lightly played has a very slight break up, but when dug into harder becomes a medium to slightly more than medium grit.

I’m pretty happy with SOLO100 rhythm channel but would like to explore potentially better options.

Gain Enhancer is in the Output Comp options of the Amp block.

JCM 800 and JTM 45 are great for clean to mean via the guitar volume knob and/or picking dynamics. They have a nice transition from glassy clean to growling overdrive.

The Gain Enhancer is a built in implementation of this too.

I'm not sure how accurate that is. Here's Cliff's original description: "Added “Gain Enhancer” mode to Amp block Output Compressor. This mode can be used to simulate the acoustic reinforcement of a loud amp coupling into the guitar and enhancing the output signal."

I'm not sure how accurate that is. Here's Cliff's original description: "Added “Gain Enhancer” mode to Amp block Output Compressor. This mode can be used to simulate the acoustic reinforcement of a loud amp coupling into the guitar and enhancing the output signal."
Oops, you might be right. Not sure what I was thinking.

On a related note, I think it would work better to use the input trim than the gain control. sometimes the gain control also affects tone (i.e. bright caps) in a way playing dynamics wouldn't.

Currently, my favorite touch sensitive amp is the Carol-Ann OD-2 with some EV IRs. It can have quite a saturated sound without losing dynamics. It's fantastic for leads that require subtleties.

Oops, you might be right. Not sure what I was thinking.

On a related note, I think it would work better to use the input trim than the gain control. sometimes the gain control also affects tone (i.e. bright caps) in a way playing dynamics wouldn't.
The dynamics section in the amp block and the dynamic compressor are great for these sort of things.

Back
Top Bottom