What’s the number one most impactful control in the Fractal family?

I don’t think there is one and for me that’s the point. These Fractal devices are incredibly complex and so much thought and effort goes into among them what they are. If there was one magic thing it could be easily duplicated. It’s all these complex pieces working together.
This^^^

Unless you are a single amp type of person there are so many different things to limit it to just one thing that can be a go to all of the time on every amp type.

That said if I had to pick one thing that is really useful in a multitude of tone shaping situations it would have to be EQ, pre and/or post.

Out of the many controls in the Fractal universe I'd say the Master Volume is the most important control to set first, and correctly, as it has such a dramatic overall effect on the character, tone, and feel of an amp.

Master Volume, Negative Feedback, CF comp, Transformer match...

Agreed...after the MV those are controls that hugely affect the amp in a big way. They are the 'broad brush strokes' to get an amp into the desired zone, and tweaks after that with EQ, input gain, etc. are the 'fine brush strokes' to fill in the details.

Man that’s tough. Lots of great ones.

I’d say aside from your cab choice, changing the speaker impedance curve can give you just mojo you didn’t even know you were looking for haha. Quick and easy results without tweaking.
I totally agree with this. If I feel that my IR choice is “right” and my B/M/T, G/PMaster are where I need or want them I’ll turn to that to get that last little bit. If I need it.

Let me steer this thread back on topic.

I started the thread because, although there’s a whole tech notes page devoted to Trim, the vast majority of factory presets leave it at noon (maybe all? I don’t recall seeing any other setting).

I find the control extremely important and so does Cliff, apparently, but no presets implement examples of possible settings.

I also started the thread partly out of laziness, because there are so many parameters to tweak, with all kinds of interactions, and even though it’s all well-documented, I’m looking for big “bang for the buck” tweaks.

Instead I get sarcastic comments.

I’ve been a Fractal user since 2007, and I still learn a bunch every day

Let me steer this thread back on topic.

I started the thread because, although there’s a whole tech notes page devoted to Trim, the vast majority of factory presets leave it at noon (maybe all? I don’t recall seeing any other setting).

I find the control extremely important and so does Cliff, apparently, but no presets implement examples of possible settings.

I also started the thread partly out of laziness, because there are so many parameters to tweak, with all kinds of interactions, and even though it’s all well-documented, I’m looking for big “bang for the buck” tweaks.

Instead I get sarcastic comments.

I’ve been a Fractal user since 2007, and I still learn a bunch every day
There isn't a single parameter that's the most impactful, that's what the gist of what people are saying, or not saying. I've read through a number of the Tech Notes and adopted several suggestions/methods as well as discovering new ways to improve my tone. There are a number of parameters that I use consistently but none are the "secret ingredient".

Additionally, no one's dogging your thread, just attempting a bit of levity given the title of the thread. We are a family of sorts, you just became the little brother for a bit. It's all in good spirit.

Yeah I can see how the title would generate that assumption.

I just had a thought about factory presets. Why not set aside 50 presets to have 8 scenes demonstrating input trim use, or gain enhancer, or sag, or amps tweaked to their ideal master volume settings, or impedance curves, etc

That’s already done for synth sounds, right? There’s nearly limitless possibilities for creating synth sounds, so, many examples are given to us as a guide

I think your input trim setting really depends on your guitar, so scenes with different settings really wouldn't help much in the overall scheme of things.

For me, your ears are all that can tell you where the input trim should be with a given guitar/amp combination.

So you want to lock your customers from participating in your forum? Forgive me if I seem overly sensitive but it seems as if you’re bagging on me and my thread
I feel confident that Matt was only joking. To Matt and all the others I have dealt with at FAS, customer service and satisfaction is their number 1 priority.

Everyone needs a little brevity in their lives now and again. Cheers! 😀😀😀

Input trim was something I had read about but didn’t find the need to use too much. A little adjustment went a long way.

But then I bought a new (high end) guitar that sounded awful with the Axe but sounded great on the tube amp I demoed on at the shop.

Trying everything to make this guitar work, I looked up the pickup specs, and it turns out it is 13.5 ohms. Way hotter and brighter than I typically use. The input trim was my lifesaver.

So you’re right I didn’t truly “discover” it until I bought a guitar with hot pickups.

I don’t need brevity! I’m too old

Levity will always work :)
Anyone who thinks they don't need brevity in their lives, probably needs it most!! Not picking on you, just thinking out loud. I have piled up some years too, so I get what you mean about the levity!! Nice turn around. ;)

Back
Top Bottom