Whammy with delay - Ultra and MFC with XP pedal - corrupting presets

MetalSlab

Inspired
Whammy with delay - Ultra and MFC with XP pedal - corrupting presets [SOLVED!]

I just wanted to check whether this was a known issue or not.

I have created a master template preset with all of my standard effects for use with the MFC101 and two external XP pedals (attached).

I have set up XP2 with autoengage for both whammy and wah, with a mixer block linked to an IA switch on the MFC to swap between the two effects.

Everything works very well until I engage the delay or multidelay block while using the whammy (classic octave up) and play for a minute or so. I start getting strange artifacts and then the preset suddenly becomes corrupted. By this, I mean that about half of the effects change state on the MFC and the whammy fails to work.

If I switch presets and then return back to that one, half of of the default states and settings of various blocks have been edited within the preset and it sounds bizarre. I have tried resetting the Ultra, recreating the patch from scratch (same result), checking the CPU meter (stays around 88%).

The patch was made yesterday using the current firmware for both the Ultra and the MFC (I am loving the sounds of FW11 by the way!!).

Can someone check it out for me please? I have already been through a series of logical troubleshooting steps and done my best to eliminate any config type issues with both the Ultra and the MFC.

View attachment Master.syx

Last edited:
Okay, one thing it seems to do to the preset every time the whammy and delay are enabled together is automatically disable the amp block. I also find that the drive block enables itself. The preset is then automatically stored this way until I edit it back.

Could there be a CPU spike occurring here? Something to do with the pitch detection /shift being affected by the delay feedback?

I get some of the same results when trying to use the whammy with delay - not every time, but at random.

I just wanted to check whether this was a known issue or not.

I have created a master template preset with all of my standard effects for use with the MFC101 and two external XP pedals (attached).

I have set up XP2 with autoengage for both whammy and wah, with a mixer block linked to an IA switch on the MFC to swap between the two effects.

Everything works very well until I engage the delay or multidelay block while using the whammy (classic octave up) and play for a minute or so. I start getting strange artifacts and then the preset suddenly becomes corrupted. By this, I mean that about half of the effects change state on the MFC and the whammy fails to work.

If I switch presets and then return back to that one, half of of the default states and settings of various blocks have been edited within the preset and it sounds bizarre. I have tried resetting the Ultra, recreating the patch from scratch (same result), checking the CPU meter (stays around 88%).

The patch was made yesterday using the current firmware for both the Ultra and the MFC (I am loving the sounds of FW11 by the way!!).

Can someone check it out for me please? I have already been through a series of logical troubleshooting steps and done my best to eliminate any config type issues with both the Ultra and the MFC.
Are you using TS (mono) or TRS (stereo) connector cables into the XP2 jack ??

I get some of the same results when trying to use the whammy with delay - not every time, but at random.

Thanks for testing it. I wonder whether it could be a result of the system trying to manage the delay trails with the pitch effect.

Are you using TS (mono) or TRS (stereo) connector cables into the XP2 jack ??

TRS - It functions perfectly in every other aspect. Thanks for the advice though.

This sounds like a case of the preset being too large. The Ultra has a limit as to how many effects and modifiers it can store in it's preset format. It's extremely rare but if your patch has a lot of effects with a lot of modifiers you can exceed the size of the preset memory allocation. I never thought anyone would create presets so complicated they would hit the memory limit but there was one person who did sometime last year. He was making huge, complicated presets based on a single template that had many parameters being modified and every possible effect he would ever use. The amount of data storage required exceeded the amount available. I suspect you have the same issue.

Unfortunately there is no work-around other than to remove some stuff from the preset.

Hi Cliff,

I really appreciate you taking the time to look at this. Once again, it seems I am making things too complicated for my own good!!

The guys over at this thread seem to think it is an issue with XP2 and the latest MFC update. They are getting similar issues (amp blocks disabling and presets being affected): http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-1...-update-1-anyone-know-what-could-causing.html

I will always trust your advice foremost though so I'll remove some of the excessive fiddling from the template and see how it goes.

Worst case scenario - At least I'll make a good beta tester!!

Cheers, Chris

I had a similar problem last night. I engaged my wah pedal (XP2) and played for a while. Suddenly the Axe would go into bypass mode. This happened several times.

Later I noticed the amp block became bypassed once, the drive block a different time, and then the cab block.

The strange thing is it only seemed to happen on one patch (a Plexi amp, a few effects, nothing to CPU taxing) and it seemed to save the patch after it bypassed one of the effects. Very weird and I've never seen behavior like this in the Axe Ultra before.

I'm using the Ultra with firmware 11, the MFC with the latest firmware and a Mission pedal with the switch.

I had a similar problem last night. I engaged my wah pedal (XP2) and played for a while. Suddenly the Axe would go into bypass mode. This happened several times.

Later I noticed the amp block became bypassed once, the drive block a different time, and then the cab block.

The strange thing is it only seemed to happen on one patch (a Plexi amp, a few effects, nothing to CPU taxing) and it seemed to save the patch after it bypassed one of the effects. Very weird and I've never seen behavior like this in the Axe Ultra before.

I'm using the Ultra with firmware 11, the MFC with the latest firmware and a Mission pedal with the switch.

You need to update your MFC to the lastest firmware.

Last night I was using a not too complicated preset with a wah block. I use a Boss expression pedal plugged into the MFC, with it set to auto-engage. I was using the wah for 20 seconds or so, then I found it would not disengage. I moved to another preset, then back again, but the preset now had the wah block engaged automatically. Afterwards I re-saved the preset with the wah block bypassed. Now it is OK.
My MFC has the latest firmware, so I know that's not the issue. Possibly the TRS cable? Funny thing is it was OK on any other preset.

Last night I was using a not too complicated preset with a wah block. I use a Boss expression pedal plugged into the MFC, with it set to auto-engage. I was using the wah for 20 seconds or so, then I found it would not disengage. I moved to another preset, then back again, but the preset now had the wah block engaged automatically. Afterwards I re-saved the preset with the wah block bypassed. Now it is OK.
My MFC has the latest firmware, so I know that's not the issue. Possibly the TRS cable? Funny thing is it was OK on any other preset.

I re-seated the cable before rehearsal last night and the problem didn't resurface.

Back
Top Bottom