WH-1 Whammy and Axe-fx

javajunkie

I just got a WH-1 this Christmas for my other hobby of collecting effects pedals ;)

I have to say, I really prefer the Axe-fx's to the WH-1. Each has a different character but with the poly local mode set on the whammy block, I just like how it sounds and reacts better.

This is a totally subjective thing, but the Axe-fx's whammy is quite good IMO.

That is all.

This thread brings a tear to my eye. Probably the first iconic digital pedal that regressed in the light of technological advances.

Nearly 20 years passed between the introduction of the WH-1 and the Axe-FX 1, and (leaving aside the Digitech/IVL rack-unit contemporaries of the Wh-1) it's very difficult to think of anything in that time that outdid the WH-1.

Compare some other machines from the golden age that was 1989:

cell-4.jpg

tandy5000a.jpg

NintendoGameBoy.jpg
<-I gotta say, this one sure endured.

Toshiba_I-C_100camera_ColorCropB.jpg

When you say WH-1 you mean the original Whammy pedal right? I sold mine for twice what I paid for it after I bought my Ultra. Mine was noisy as hell and desperately in need of being true bypassed.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

When you say WH-1 you mean the original Whammy pedal right? I sold mine for twice what I paid for it after I bought my Ultra. Mine was noisy as hell and desperately in need of being true bypassed.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

Yep original one. The one I got is remarkably quiet and only has one very light scratch.

If you want something really trippy, compare the dunlop rack wah to the wah on the ultra......

On the contrary it still can't get the axe fx whammy to behave like my Digitech xp100 whammy. I've noticed that the down octave -1 & -2 both sound like crap compared. The digitech sounds a lot tighter and fuller. The axe whammy sound gets all artifacty and broken up. Also I've noticed the output signal also drops (loses it guts) when you pitch down. Very disappointing.

Sometimes I used to set the pitch down an octave and play bass like parts with the digitech but I can't do that now because of the artifact sound and latency of the axe fx. Plus there is no dive bomb setting.

Last edited:
On the contrary it still can't get the axe fx whammy to behave like my xp100 whammy. I've noticed that the down octave -1 & -2 both sound like crap compared. The digitech sounds a lot tighter and fuller. The axe whammy sound gets all artifacty and broken up. Also I've noticed the output signal also drops (loses it guts) when you pitch down. Very disappointing.

Sometimes I used to set the pitch down an octave and play bass like parts but I can't do that now because of the artifact sound and latency. Plus there is no dive bomb setting.

Not really getting that hear at least compared to the whammy I and IV. Both lose as much guts as well. i'll try to find time to post comparisions.
I am using th CL. Whammy algo, with pitch source turn to poly local, track adjust at 2.5-3, mix 100%.

I can even to do diads.

I didnt know there was a dive bomb setting on the xp100? I thought that was a whammy IV thing. I remember the XP100 have a 6 oct down or something though?

I had an original Whammy that I wanted to sell. Left it in a local music store that sold stuff on the consignment. The owner thought what I wanted for it was crazy (double or so the original price) and tried, without success to get me to lower the price. It sold for asking price within a week.

I have an original Whammy WH-1 in mint condition. It is in my "smithsonian" collection. (since the Ultra)

Not really getting that hear at least compared to the whammy I and IV. Both lose as much guts as well. i'll try to find time to post comparisions.
I am using th CL. Whammy algo, with pitch source turn to poly local, track adjust at 2.5-3, mix 100%.

I can even to do diads.

I didnt know there was a dive bomb setting on the xp100? I thought that was a whammy IV thing. I remember the XP100 have a 6 oct down or something though?

Yeah that's the dive bomb setting. Believe me, down 6 octaves your guitar becomes a low rumble. I doubt it is really -6 octaves anyway. It's just unintelligibly low and rumbly.

I had to try to put two pitch blocks in series to try to replicate the dive bomb and it was terrible. Did not work.
I still think my XP100 sounds better in any case + or - octaves.

He is what I am getting with the Axe-fx II, Whammy WH-1, and Whammy IV pitched down 2 octaves and an octave.

A little guess the whammy

Back
Top Bottom