Wet Effects BEFORE Amps

Sanz

Hey there! Sold my Iridium centric board to get an FM9. I pretty much exclusively ran the Iridium last in the chain, delays and reverbs going into it and I really liked for the natural compression the amps gave the sound. It seems EVERYONE runs wet after amps in the slew of presets I’ve seen. Tried a few times to get it to sound good to no avail… Until my friend ran his big board similar to mine straight into the FM9 just for amps and it sounded amazing. Anyone have success running amps last in their signal chain? I’m running stereo dual amps

This is the preset I'm currently trying to get going. Amps pre effects, I was able to volume match amps via levels on the amps themselves, now that doesn't seem to do anything? I adjusted volume on the Drive scene via the cab block. Not sure where my routing is wrong.

Attachments

• Wet Post.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 4
This is the preset I'm currently trying to get going. Amps pre effects, I was able to volume match amps via levels on the amps themselves, now that doesn't seem to do anything? I adjusted volume on the Drive scene via the cab block. Not sure where my routing is wrong.
Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 1.04.37 PM.png
that Shunt in the middle causes a permanent dry signal to never go through the Amp blocks. so you could turn both amps off and still have drive, etc. being applied to the dry guitar tone and can't change any levels because it's always there.

get rid of that shunt and just put the Amp blocks next to each other:
Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 1.07.55 PM.png

also both Amps loaded at -80dB Level which is basically off.

the preset is also using more CPU than necessary due to all the Shunts. if you can consolidate things you'll save CPU and be able to add more blocks. i was able to save 6% by getting rid of all the unneeded Shunts.

its definitely a preference.. if you do it right, the delays and reverbs push and naturally compress the amp a little harder and you get a very cool effect if thats what you're looking for. I personally love it.

Some fx like flanger, rotary have a very different character before or after - like two different fx - I place them before or after depending on the sound I want.

Try this out. Not sure what IR you were using. It came up as User 1 and 2. I was using a Hislop IR. So, it may need extra tweaking. Messed with a few things. See how you like it.

Attachments

• Wet Post TWEAKED.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 1
Always do and it sounds killer. Very amp like. I also came from Iridium and I definitely prefer the Fractal.
Here’s one example…

And another, and this is WAY over the top haha but it still cut through nicely…

You just have to make sure your cab (if you’re using one) is set to stereo and the IR’s are panned AND your amps Balance knobs are pushed left and right.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom