Wet/Dry/Wet: using Y-splitters to avoid miking up cabs?

Hugomack

Experienced
I'm determined not to mike up my cabs for W/D/W as when using guitar cabs from Output 2, there aren't enough outputs for both backline and FOH.

Would there be any gain or hum issues in Y-splitting the two Wet outputs?

Before we go any further, which power amp and speaker system are you using? I've seen you signature block; however, things change and info doesn't get updated.

Hi Chris - I'm looking seriously at the new Matrix 3-way power amp - or adding a GM50 to use with the Scumback (as the Dry cab for backline). Currently I'm playing about with a Mesa Boogie 2 head for the Dry, but obviously want to get the thing back to light-weight total Axe operation...

Off-topic: How do you like the M75?

I'm having a great time combining the EVM with my KTS-70 (i've got a 2x12 now). Should be comparable to yours.

P.S. I'm selling my GM50. If you're interested... ;)

I hope this helps give you an idea of a way that may work for you.

WetDryWetRig1_zpsf879a0c5.jpg

Last edited:
Superb diag Chris - many thanks. Let me examine and think...

Yek: the Scumback is working very well for me. Thank you I've only had a couple of full volume sessions (hence not coming back to you), and it's great - nice and clear but giving of the grit at all volumes. I think it will do nicely for the Dry. The combination with the EVMs works as you say - outstanding, which is why I think they'll be good for the Wet bit of a WDW. I will also have to rig a method of combining one with the Scumback for my 'normal' usage where more volume is required. (I see WDW as a special effect to be switched into like the stereo enhancement block. I've just got to work out how to do this - it may require exterior switching, which is how I did it with my old analogue rig. This would also save an MFC switch - although it does make things more complicated, plus add weight and potential problems - al of which are what the Axe avoids...)

Your pre-loved GM50 sounds interesting... Excellent provenance as they say in the antiques business. How does the combine with the GT800FX in terms of output/volume? (You've used both I think...?) Is yours mounted in a TT Cab similar to the alligator-skin special I've already got?

Chris - do you have a patch you use for this setup? If you could post the Axe Edit for that, I could think it all through a bit easier. Thanks again man.

That is a cool diagram!

It looks like output 1 is for the W/W channels.

And output 2 is for the D channel. Copy L->R for output 2 since it is mono and it lets you use both output jacks on the AxeFx, one for the monitor one for FOH as per the diagram.

Well done chap,
Richard

And output 2 is for the D channel. Copy L->R for output 2 since it is mono and it lets you use both output jacks on the AxeFx, one for the monitor one for FOH as per the diagram.

Well done chap,
Richard

My problem is that the Dry for FOH needs to have a cab sim, whereas for my backline it's important that it doesn't. The Wets don't suffer anything like as much through not having a cab on the FOH outs.

I'm thinking to have output 2 as stereo, then use a second cab sim set to through and panned left so the left Output 2 can go to backline...?

ScreenShot2012-12-20at143945_zpsfdee7c96.png

This is how I do it on the AF2, I haven't got it here as I'm currently dog sitting for my special lady, as well as fixing electrics and cars.

As Richard above has deduced, I use O/P 1 for wet, and O/P 2 for Dry. This means that I can use my classic presets without jiggling cables aboot.

My problem is that the Dry for FOH needs to have a cab sim, whereas for my backline it's important that it doesn't. The Wets don't suffer anything like as much through not having a cab on the FOH outs.

I'm thinking to have output 2 as stereo, then use a second cab sim set to through and panned left so the left Output 2 can go to backline...?

Right, try this. For the Dry on O/P2, Do not copy L>R, pan the cab to your mixer O/P (right according to the schematic above) and Pan the uncabbed signal to the power amp.

ScreenShot2012-12-20at155637_zpsd05fa1b8.png

Last edited:
Chris - this works - many thanks.

For turning the full WDW "effect" on and off, I can probably use another Scene in which the Wets are panned to the one side (so that I have a WD setup with the two cabs on my side of the stage), using another Filter with its Balance panned hard left and its bypass mode on Thru...?

I'd be fearful of doing that, as I can't afford one!! But very kind offer. I'm thinking of adding GM50 to my GT800FX.

Go on, what's the worst that can happen. Mwah ha ha ha ha.

I think Maxdown has got me down as the para-military wing of the sales department promoting all things W/D/W. :D

Back
Top Bottom