Westside Story

Geezerjohn

Fractal Fanatic
Watched the film for the first time in many a year. Such awesome music. Choreography is excellent, but what really grabs me is the music score. If you have not watched Westside Story in a while, or ever, the music score was (arguably) the best music score ever. Such beautiful melodies and brilliant composing. Certainly not guitar music, but I am trying to appeal to the inner musician in each of us.

I remember it from when I was young, always struck me as being such a “dense” score...

I don’t mean that in a bad way at all, just that there were so many instruments filling out such a wide spectrum of sound. Felt so very different than most scores which were very sparse and used more typical orchestra instruments.

Really felt that score gave this great feeling of crowded NY with some really “exotic” instruments, lots of energy etc

Perfectly suited the story

Haven’t heard it in probly 25 years, but still do recall a lot of songs and scenes to this day, which says a lot about it

Without peer in the genre of Movie Musicals. Won more Academy Awards than any musical before or since. Timeless songs that have been reinterpreted by the greatest artists over the decades. And orchestrations that reach deep into one’s limbic system and tickle the soul. IMO the pinnacle of Mr. Leonard Bernstein’s amazing composing art.

Good flick.

Back
Top Bottom