Were do I find a driver for the Axe Fx Ultra?

The Ultra does not have USB, and does not act as an audio interface to your computer. Therefore it does not require a driver. The Ultra communicates with the computer via a MIDI interface, which may require a driver, which should come with it. The Ultra talks to Axe Edit via the midi interface.

so that means I need 2 MIDI cables? because i am trying to get my PC & axe fx ultra to talk to eachother

I use axe edit 10.1.1 but it doesnt recognize the ultra for some reason, I have put MIDI out (interface) to MIDI in (ultra) but doesnt conect via axe edit

Most likely you will need a driver for your midi interface. My Midisport 2x2 needed a driver for my iMac to work with the Ultra.

Some suggestions:

Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Editor Tips (check other tips at the bottom regarding sysex ID and buffering)

Previous Axe-Edit versions

I pieced this together from memory of two hours with the editor last night, and Lars support (thanks!) this morning. The basic process of editing can get confusing especially if you start looking at the axe-fx and what the editor is doing to it.

This is the work flow as I understand it for loading/editing/saving/sending presets:
An important thing to remember: there is no need to touch the axe-fx during the editing process. In fact, touching it can mess things up, and looking at it will only confuse you because:
A. the preset display won't match up with the editor if you edit multiple patches,
B. the edit light comes on, making you think that you need to save something on the axe-fx
C. the axe-fx won't show you any indication that you've sent a preset or a bank to it from the editor -- I think all that happens (could be wrong) is the edit light turns off.

1. LAUNCH EDITOR

2. CONFIGURE MIDI someone else can tackle a step by step on this

3. TO HAVE SOMETHING TO EDIT --- go to file->download bank from axe-fx (downloads a whole axe-fx bank of presets into the editor)...OR...hit the "read preset" button (downloads just one preset into the editor) . You can now edit presets from an axe-fx bank, or a single axe-fx preset

4. When a preset is chosen--from 'list of presets' window in the editor--the DATA for that preset is immediately loaded into the axe-fx buffer, but NOT the preset number or name. This is why looking at the axe-fx during editing can get confusing. Ignore the axe-fx at this point. In fact ignore the axe-fx completely during the entire editing and sending process.

5. TO EDIT SOMETHING -- select a preset from the 'list of presets' (#4 above happens).
Any changes made to a preset in the editor happen "live" in real-time on the axe-fx. They are immediately going into the axe-fx buffer and you will see windows pop up and knobs turning on the axe-fx....don't pay attention to the axe-fx. Also, at this point, DONT EDIT ANYTHING on the axe-fx, do all editing on the editor, or like Lars said, you'll mess things up.

6. AFTER SOMETHING IS EDITED -- When a preset is edited in the editor, the editor will indicate that change as a 'check' in the 'edited' box on the 'preset routing' window, or as an asterisk next to the preset in the 'list of presets' window. These edits are not permanently saved until you do step #7.

7. SAVING permanently (on computer) -- all presets that you edit in the editor ARE NOT SAVED PERMANENTLY until you choose File->save or save as. 'Save' will save your work as a sysex file on your computer.

8. SENDING ONE PRESET TO AXE-FX -- Clicking the 'write preset' button SENDS that preset to the axe-fx. It will SEND IT to the SAME preset number on the axe-fx THAT IS DISPLAYED on the editor. The axe-fx receives and saves it. BUT when you click 'write preset' in the editor, there is NO INDICATION on the axe-fx that the preset has been stored to the axe-fx. This was very confusing to me. Long story short, don't touch the axe-fx anytime during the editing process. Just remember if the editor says preset #5, when you hit the 'write preset' button it will SEND that preset to preset #5 on the axe-fx, but you won't see it happen.

9. SENDING A WHOLE BANK TO AXE-FX -- your edited work can be saved(step #7) and sent to the axe-fx either through the editor or through another sysex utility (the same one you use for updating firmware). To send a whole bank to axe-fx with the editor, go to file->upload bank to axe-fx, select the bank to upload, then the editor will send that entire bank to the axe-fx. Everything will go at once. This is a fast way to edit a whole bank of patches, and then save them to the axe-fx all at once. Just remember...you're about to replace an entire bank of patches in the axe-fx

Anyway, that's what I've gleaned so far from my experience with the editor. Hopefully that'll be useful to other users.

-------------------------------------------------------reclavea 3/31/12
Using Axe-Edit with Mac Power PC- Increase Buffer size to 300, 350 or higher (suggestion is to decrease but did not achieve results). Used 300 last time.

Increase delay buffer to 175 or so. Axe-Edit frequently crashes. Need to acquire a new Mac with Intel Processor.

Closed all windows too and tried changing Midi 2x2 to a the first USB port (keyboard port).
--------------------------------------------------------
Roadboy
Does the Axe-FX SysID match the one on the device itself? I had a couple of occasions where mine dropped out and the device would not connect - had to change the ID on Axe-Edit to match.

I believe you can get the Axe-FX Sysex ID by pressing the I/O button and then paging across to the MIDI options.
When you say the device itself do you mean axe edit or axe fx?
The axe fx says 00 01 74.

CyberFerret
02-20-2011, 08:50 PM
When you say the device itself do you mean axe edit or axe fx?
The axe fx says 00 01 74.

Sorry - I meant if the contents of the fields in Axe-Edit matched the Axe-FX. Looks like they do.

I found I had MIDI communication problems on my Win7 PC until I reduced the MIDI Buffer size to 128 and increased the Buffer Delay to 127ms. It's slower, but more reliable.

Double Check: A newbie thing I know, but check that the correct IN and OUT cables are in the back of the unit. Try swapping them. :bonk
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yea, i think once i get those 2 MIDI cables it should work as the PC & AXE fx can talk to eachother. for now just gona use VST :/

yea, i think once i get those 2 MIDI cables it should work as the PC & AXE fx can talk to eachother. for now just gona use VST :/

In my case with the Ultra....I never ran both in and outs with the Ultra at the same time. As a matter of fact...I think I did most my editing on the unit itself and backed them up using Sysex Librarian. I'd use the midi interface to send new firmware via midi in to the Ultra and I'd switch the cable to midi out on the Ultra and midi in on the interface when I backed up presets and system.

In those days.....the editor was still developing. They were 2nd party apps I believe.

but when you record inside your DAW do you record DI and then reamp? because once u amp you cant turn back - hence why i want to start using axe edit

but when you record inside your DAW do you record DI and then reamp? because once u amp you cant turn back - hence why i want to start using axe edit
Hmmm, I'm not sure about what I'm about to say, haven't used my Ultra for a while. But if I were to want to record both the raw guitar *and* the Ultra-processed tones out of my Ultra, I would do the following:

1-) Edit the preset to send off the raw guitar tone to output 2; you do this by inserting the block at the very beginning of the signal chain (1st block in the grid); then your raw guitar track can be fed from the Ultra's Out 2 to your audio interface and you DAW

2-) Route the Ultra's main Out 1 to your audio interface and your DAW. This will be for recording your Ultra-processed guitar track.

Note that in the above process, Axe-Edit is not even involved at all.

Which begs the question: what is it you're trying to do with Axe-Edit?

Like another poster who replied earlier, I never bothered to connect both midi In and Out on my Ultra... By default, I had the midi In connected so that I could load presets downloaded from AxeChange or new Firmware. When I wanted to back up my Ultra, I would connect the midi Out instead.

ahhh, I have to try this! will the DI be clean though? I sometimes get some artefacts when recording cleans than when i plug straight into audio interface

ahhh, I have to try this! will the DI be clean though? I sometimes get some artefacts when recording cleans than when i plug straight into audio interface

It should be.

It seems you want to use Axe-Edit to set up and edit to re-amp. But you would then have the Ultra patched directly to your DAW for recording.

ya exactly - also when im playing live i can save my patches on onedrive/USB or whatever and then just load on laptop. that way we can hook up both guitarists (L & R) into axe FX ultra and pan it through the digidesign or whatever interface they use live.
I've got some experimenting to do, thanks for the cool ideas :guitar::microscope::yum:

Back
Top Bottom