Went from Q3 to Q6.1 everything is bassey

Its the Harmonics dial.
Turn it down to almost ZERO.
For me turning the Harmonics dial anything above 1 totally, and I mean TOTALLY kills your tone. (this is my finding anyway) Its like throwing a goose down duvet over you speaker cab.....
Where's the harmonics dial?

I would try turning the master Volume and gain all the way down and slowly bring them up.
I find the Master can go from bright, to mush sometimes. Hope you get it sorted out before
your gig, that sucks. Or, just go back to the last firmware, (you backed up before right?),
Then after New Years do the update. The last resort I guess.

And would this have changed from Q3 to 6.1

Yes it did change, the values went up significantly if I remember.
Using axe edit, it's in the amp block, under the preamp tab, bottom right if screen. Next to the modeling version dial. (You might want to make sure this is on latest too)

I had the exact same experience as you..

The Two rock amps used to sound awesome, now I cant get them to sound good for anything... Well the clean one I can't. I'm not a dumble style guy anyway. But I liked the dirty two rock sometimes.

Try turning the harmonics dial down to almost zero. 0.2 works for me. This default went up significantly with firmware Q5 I think.
This muddied the hell out of all my presets.

Then for Q6, the default preamp tube type changed from 12AX7A to the 12AX7 SYL.... I didn't like this at all either. In fact I rolled firmware back to Q5.

In general I struggle with all firmware updates, I'm a "deep amp parameter" fool.... I like to go chasing artists tones and need to really tweak the hell out of the amp block to get there. I'm not happy unless I can get the tone spot on, and I mean EXACT. Eventually I get there (this product is ridiculously good for this) The down side is, it takes hundreds of hours to get there... And that means each firmware is a disaster at first and quite often I give up and roll the firmware back.
Looking at all the comments on this forum, when a new firmware comes out, I see that around 95% of the posts are in absolute awe of the new firmware and how much "more real" it sounds etc, (I have to wag my head in disbelief here actually) But then it occurred to me, maybe most users don't go chasing exact artist tones and don't go changing the finer parameters in the amp block, and therefore use the amp pretty much default.....Then the amps may well sound better.....Better at default. Many guys reset the amp block....but that's suicide for me.. At least for they way I like to use the product.

All of that said I did feel Q5 was the best yet - I stuck to Q1 before that, even though I tried 2,3,4, and rolled back. It's the first firmware I have been able to dial all my artist presets back in, and they now sound spot on to me..... I had to turn the Harmonics dial down though

I've never done a big FW jump like that, but I've never noticed the FWs gradually becoming bassier, either. What might be happening is that the high-end is "friendlier" now. It's tougher for me to dial in a harsh sound now, even compared to just a few FWs ago.

What model do you have... ? II , XL or XL+

While the XL and XL+ should retain your preset version, the "II" I believe won't. Therefore you would need to reset the amp block and tweak to as desired, should be fine then.

Hope that helps.

I am currently running 3.01 on the standard AFX II. I love my tones. I use mostly an Engl Savage for rhythm and Soldono 88 for leads. Should I do the upgrade?

What would you do?

You can go into the block in edit mode on the front panel of the Axe FX. page over right (like 7 clicks) and you will see a menu entry for "Modeling Version". Scroll on that to "Latest".

Truthfully, it's still likely not going to sound much better. If you reset the Amp block from Axe-Edit by right clicking and selecting "Reset" from the popup menu. This will ensure you're using the latest firmware version enhancements. You will just need to re-tweak your settings.

If may be an inconvenience, but it will likely get you where you want to be. It will be worth it as you leverage any new features and sound enhancements.

I hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom