Went direct with no cab/stage monitor for first time........

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
I've run Axe Fx for past 9 years. Early days with standard was with a Mesa 2:90 power amp and a 2x12 genz benz g-flex cab. Then went to Axe Fx II with a Matrix GT1600FX power amp. I typically ran the stage cab and then also went direct to house with a IR I shot of my cab.

I tried FRFR with several monitors and finally an Atomic CLR, but ultimately wasn't my cup of tea. Also recently bought a Mesa TC50 rack amp head and ran 4CM. This sounded great but stage volume wasn't ideal for band mates. Gig before last I ran it with Mesa TC50 in 4CM with cab turned around and mic'd and also tried in ears for first time. Was good but ultimately thought direct without Mesa TC50 sounded better for in ears.

Last Saturday I brought no cab or on stage monitor and ran direct with in ears. BLISS! Never have I loved my sound better than this latest version of direct and in ears. Everything sounded full and crisp and I could hear myself better and the band was much happier with no stage noise. Win Win!

This is how I plan to run things from here on out. I will continue to tweak patches to get them even more dialed in and really looking forward to this. Just a little FYI for those of you whom haven't tried direct and I never thought I'd love in ears! I use a Mipro 909 wireless monitor system with Westone Ambient 30 triple driver universal ear buds. The Westone Ambient's are amazing. No need for customs and it allows me to hear the stage and people talking to me. Not once did I feel the need to pop an ear out. It was truly amazing!

I've been running direct to FOH and using IEMs for a few years now, but I'll be honest - whilst it works very well for the rest of the band/engineer/people in the front of the stage - I do miss that cab on stage where I can simple walk across to it and hear/feel my guitar coming out of an actual cab.

no cab or on stage monitor and ran direct with in ears. BLISS! Never have I loved my sound better than this latest version of direct and in ears. Everything sounded full and crisp and I could hear myself better and the band was much happier with no stage noise. Win Win!

Yep. Been there, done that and have the same conclusion.

I realize everyone has their own preferences but I'm still puzzled by my friends' resistance to trying the same approach. I hear them complain about their amp setups, tone, and monitoring and blah, blah, blah way too often. When I suggest the 'run direct with IEM' approach, the staunch resistance to just 'try it' is irrational - to put it nicely.

IEMs 4 lyfe

+100000

Last edited:
I've been running direct to FOH and using IEMs for a few years now, but I'll be honest - whilst it works very well for the rest of the band/engineer/people in the front of the stage - I do miss that cab on stage where I can simple walk across to it and hear/feel my guitar coming out of an actual cab.
Thus far I don't. Maybe it's the ambient Westone in ears. They are key IMO

yeah.. the IEM's chosen make a HUGE difference... My 1964 A8's cover the spectrum nicely.
Crystal clear audio.. Will NEVER go back to wedges - given a choice.

Would love to do this, but the other band members are not on IEM's so would not hear my guitar - I start a lot of songs etc etc :-(

I use a Mipro 909 wireless monitor system with Westone Ambient 30 triple driver universal ear buds. The Westone Ambient's are amazing. No need for customs and it allows me to hear the stage and people talking to me. Not once did I feel the need to pop an ear out. It was truly amazing!

This is a kickass combination, the MIPRO 909 and the Westones

Been using Shure IEMs/ for 4 years. I am going to check out the Mipro 909 wireless monitor system with Westone Ambient 30 triple driver. Thanks and I agree, the only way to go!

Yes ,Wireless IEM were the best thing after the Axe FX .......no need to carry lots of gear , great stereo sound wherever I am on stage and whichever stage I am on...fresh ears after the gig :)

No returns !!

I tired and failed for about 2 years to go silent stage. I just could not get with it. That was... until I upgraded my IEMs. I started with a Carvin system. Did not like. I bought some Shure 215s ear buds. Not much better. I then bought the Sennheiser EW 300 system, better - more clear - but still no good on stage for me. THEN.... I bought some 1964 A3's. BOOM! There it was...
Now I have the best stage sound I have EVER had... period. It's literally like playing to a recording in headphones at home on the couch. I can hear every detail just the way I want. Never looking back.

I've run Axe Fx for past 9 years. Early days with standard was with a Mesa 2:90 power amp and a 2x12 genz benz g-flex cab. Then went to Axe Fx II with a Matrix GT1600FX power amp. I typically ran the stage cab and then also went direct to house with a IR I shot of my cab.

I tried FRFR with several monitors and finally an Atomic CLR, but ultimately wasn't my cup of tea. Also recently bought a Mesa TC50 rack amp head and ran 4CM. This sounded great but stage volume wasn't ideal for band mates. Gig before last I ran it with Mesa TC50 in 4CM with cab turned around and mic'd and also tried in ears for first time. Was good but ultimately thought direct without Mesa TC50 sounded better for in ears.

Last Saturday I brought no cab or on stage monitor and ran direct with in ears. BLISS! Never have I loved my sound better than this latest version of direct and in ears. Everything sounded full and crisp and I could hear myself better and the band was much happier with no stage noise. Win Win!

This is how I plan to run things from here on out. I will continue to tweak patches to get them even more dialed in and really looking forward to this. Just a little FYI for those of you whom haven't tried direct and I never thought I'd love in ears! I use a Mipro 909 wireless monitor system with Westone Ambient 30 triple driver universal ear buds. The Westone Ambient's are amazing. No need for customs and it allows me to hear the stage and people talking to me. Not once did I feel the need to pop an ear out. It was truly amazing!
hi,im getting the westone pro am 30 monday.im going stereo pheny x pro ptm-10.axe 3 .right now im useing se215.how do you get the high end or fizz out of your presets?or do the westones make that much differents so you dont have it to start with?i tryed useing eq at the end not really that good.

Someone should make a clip-on receiver with a small driver set up to communicate some guitat signal back to the body for IEM silent-stage playing, to mimic the acoustic coupling from a speaker....

hi,im getting the westone pro am 30 monday.im going stereo pheny x pro ptm-10.axe 3 .right now im useing se215.how do you get the high end or fizz out of your presets?or do the westones make that much differents so you dont have it to start with?i tryed useing eq at the end not really that good.
I dial them in for FOH. Honestly they sound great in ears, without tweaking at all. Westones will make a huge difference IMO. Plus you are adding a driver.

right i sure hope .so you dont really have to tweak alot ?do you run like a 2nd line and put extra things on the 2nd line?or do you just have the main patch and use that?

Back
Top Bottom