Well...there's EVH, Randy Rhoads, SRV, Zakk Wylde, Slash, James Hetfield, Richie....

The_Kid

Experienced
Sambora, Dave Mustain, Dimebag Darrell....etc, etc, etc. Don't care about your opinions of their playing styles or writing abilities, or about my lack of skill or playing technique, lack of theory education whatever.....

While those guys frustrate the hell out of me....as I play in a cover band and 'attempt' to play their stuff as best I can, sometimes well : sometimes not so much, They have rarely, if ever instilled in me the idea to just stop playing. Put my guitar down, admit defeat, wave the white flag and go back to my tasty ales and other liquid refreshments.

BUT THIS GUY really makes me wonder WTF am I doing? Lol....so impressive....(maybe not so much for you talented folks)....but damn...I literally lost track of time for 6 minutes and now have a cold supper to eat.

(not sure how to link a video properly)
Guitarist Delivers Brilliant Performance of GNR's 'Sweet Child O' Mine' on Two Acoustic Guitars at Once | Music News @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

That is all....

<picks chin up off floor> <wipes drool off chin> <drags whats left of his pride to the couch to finish dinner>

It's amazing to me, as a professional classical guitarist, how far it's progressed since I graduated 15 years ago. The internet definitely helps with all the instructional material, easy access to purchasing sheet music, listening to and watching performances, etc.

It's hard to keep up. I really don't know how people like the guy in the video do it (and how he has time to learn and perfect his music, unless he's one of the fortunate ones to make a living at it).

I swear I can't figure out where some of those sounds are coming from... I really hope parts of it aren't overdubbed.

Candyrat is Andy McKee's label - I've always been impressed with this type of fingerstyle acoustic playing. I've tried but my fingers are either too weak or you've got to have really high output/sensitive pickups in the guitars. I've seen Andy play just miced (no pickup), but it must still be very sensitive to pick up the nuances.

I've tried but my fingers are either too weak or you've got to have really high output/sensitive pickups in the guitars.

When I try doing that stuff the part of the string between the tap and the nut rings loud enough to make a 2nd "note" that is not even part of the chromatic scale and it just sounds awful. But I do get some of the percussive stuff going when I play acoustic. It feels great being your own drums as well.

Truth be told, Stanley Jordan was doing this twenty years ago, so it's not ground breaking. It's interesting and fun for a bit, but not many people would be willing to pay to witness this for an hour. It's cool, in a guitar nerd way.

I agree, I've seen an occasional video in this style, but never really saw anyone perform a song that I was familiar with, and cover the vocal/guitar melodies and the bass lines, and the drums enough to literally make the whole song. This to me seems more like a street musician type skill rather than a club paying gig. At least in my area...I dont think a lot of places would pay for that show, maybe an hourish...but not much more.

Now i'm not trying to be a buzz kill but this is impressive to watch but i would never listen to most of these guys in my car. Its kinda boring. I liked Stanley Clark not just because or how he was playing but his incredible phrasing and note selection. Maybe its just me but it seems like a lot of work just to sound like something you can easily overdub.

Back
Top Bottom