Well that was SCARY!!! confused

KyleUMF

Inspired
So, I dont know if I am posting this for any tips more then to maybe hear if something just crazy happened...

I went to practice early last night and nothing has been touched since last monday when I last practiced. I am running my Ultra to a Rocktron Velocity300 into a Marshall cab, I downloaded a bunch of other peoples patches and hooked my comp up via saffire pro 14 via axe-edit to my ultra and started playing some of them then bam, the sound cut out almost completely, it was very very quiet, like barely could hear it. this is what I troubleshooted in pretty much the order i did it and had no success getting sound.

rebooted both my axe and power amp
checked all my connections
unplugged the midi cables and computer connection
rebooted both again
swaped guitars
checked/swapped every cable
Put the V300 into mono out of bridge
unlugged marshall cab and went into my passive atomic wedge
checked my fuse on my power amp

so none of these worked to get any sound, I was seriously pissed as all my gear is a 2 months old or newer, so I walked away for a little bit came back and started it back up again and it works, had sound but something was wrong still, it did not have the tone that i am use to on my patches, after about ten minutes of playing and going wtf is going on it went back to normal.....

I know this is pretty vague description of what happened, but honestly I am just confused at what could have gone wrong.. Also the Input LED was lighting up fine as if nothing was wrong.

HMmm I am just hoping this never happens at any shows!! Def will be bringing my VHT sig:x and marshall cab to all shows as a back up ( Generally run DI to FOH with my Atomic Wedge for live shows)

Maybe the Axe encouterd some electrostatic waves from the recent explosion on the sun. I can understand that your incident decreases your confidents in the Axe.

What preset did this happen with? Perhaps it wasn't a hardware issue, but something amiss in the one of the downloaded presets?

If it happens again then plug the axe into something else immediately and you can then rule out if it's that or not.

Just rule out one piece of equipment at a time.

What preset did this happen with? Perhaps it wasn't a hardware issue, but something amiss in the one of the downloaded presets?

I Knew i was going to forget something in my trouble shooting. I went through multiple presets before and after it was connected through midi into my comp, I Used some I amde my own, factory other users, none of em worked when it was connected to the comp or dissconected.

Last edited:
If it happens again then plug the axe into something else immediately and you can then rule out if it's that or not.

Just rule out one piece of equipment at a time.
I plugged it into my atomic wedge within minutes and still nothing.

And it worked on its own later without a reboot?
Honestly I cant remember If i had to reboot it one last time, I know that it was sounding extremely thin once the volume actually came back to life then about after ten min of playing it sounded full again

do you have active pickups?
did you try another guitar?

yes I tried a few dif guitars

Sounds like the most likely suspect is your power amp.

Unfortunately this was one thing that I could not swap ( I have spent an insane amount of money the last few months buying a ultra,poweramp etc..) But it seemed weird that the fuse would be fine, then all of a sudden out of nowhere it started working again, I am not anywhere near that knowledgable to power amps but i would figure if it stopped working it pretty much would stop... and its brand new btw

Last edited:
I've had similar experiences twice. One time it was the cable.
The other one I had used the wrong outputs on the axe (Yeah.. I know..... :lol )

I would guess it is a cable if the axe also does not work with the atomic. Was the axe showing input when you played?

Jens

I've had similar experiences twice. One time it was the cable.
The other one I had used the wrong outputs on the axe (Yeah.. I know..... :lol )

I would guess it is a cable if the axe also does not work with the atomic. Was the axe showing input when you played?

Jens

Yes the input was showing. I used multiple cables though and made sure they worked on dif amps as well

What did you have connected, detail everything including hardware, cables, software, etc.

My first suspicion might be something like a rogue MIDI message to the global volume. I have seen rare cases where these persist across reboots.

Setting those to NONE if you aren't using them might be a good idea.

Go to I/O CONTROL..

INPUT VOL
OUT1 VOL
OUT2 VOL

doesn't the velocity 300 have a thermal limit switch built in and/or a direct short switch that auto resets once the threatening condition goes away? In this case overheated or shorted speaker outputs.
I have the 300 just not near a manual right now....working off memory...which is not one of my best assets.
If it happens again have something you can plug the Axe into...the input of your bass players amp or something...or something like a pod to plug into the power amp. That way you eliminate some suspects with one test.

I would have thought that if the amp went into thermal or protect, it would power down and no sound would come through. Just a thought, wiggle the guitar jack in the Axe's input, I know it's designed to be loose but does that make any difference to the sound. I had something similar the other week. At home I use Monster cable which is quite a snug fit and live a wireless with a standard Neutrik jack. Seems the Axe had gotten used to the slightly snugger fit! Certain times, (boomy bass or low riff) the sound would cut out slightly or go "thin"...a quick wiggle and the sound was back to normal. Shot in the dark I know.

My first suspicion might be something like a rogue MIDI message to the global volume. I have seen rare cases where these persist across reboots.

Setting those to NONE if you aren't using them might be a good idea.

Go to I/O CONTROL..

INPUT VOL
OUT1 VOL
OUT2 VOL

+1, MIDI would be my first suspect.

:idea

I had a similar event happen at a gig - I had inadvertently pressed the "Bypass" button on the front panel (not Eff. Bypass). Wouln't explain how it came back to life, but sometimes when you are tweaking like mad because your gear isn't working it's hard to remember what actually happened.

KG

Back
Top Bottom