Well, that might have just sealed the deal...

fox5150

Inspired
My Axe-FX arrived on Thursday and, as much as I've been enjoying it, I've been in two minds about whether to keep it or not as my "traditional" guitar rig is so good. I've just got in from a gig where we had to play whisper quiet, so quiet in fact that the amp couldn't get going and I felt that my sound tonight was thin and lifeless, no matter how I adjusted the tone controls on the amp or the guitar.

I generally only play out live - I do play at home for my own enjoyment, but I mean that I don't record or anything like that, this would just be a live tool. The ability to get the right sound at any volume level is just too good to pass up on. Then when I throw everything back in to the decision making, lightweight, compact, flexibility coming out of its ears (if it had them!), it's not exactly a hard decision.

My new Matrix gear should arrive on Wednesday; big shout out to Matt @Matrix for all his support and his valuable time. I've ordered a GT1000, together with a pair of CFR12's. I've tried auditioning things through headphones, which was terrible, and through one of my Mackie SRM450's, which was better, but still not right. I really can't wait for this little lot to land. Annoyingly, I've probably got our biggest gig of the year this Saturday coming (week today) and I won't have everything set up in time, nor will I have an MFC, so using the Axe-FX for the gig is out. I fully intend to take it to soundcheck though so our regular sound guy can hear what it sounds like at proper gig levels in an environment I know really well.

Providing I can coax the sounds I need for my 80s tribute band (Home - Total 80s), then I think this will be a keeper!

I have yet to move off his preset in 9.02 ;)

I do wish it was that kind of 80s music... Think Duran Duran rather than Journey. I am determined to fit that preset into a song though, even if it's just the "Together In Electric Dreams" solo!

yeah 100watt tube heads dont whisper nicely huh :)

looking forward to your post gig review.

Mine's the 30W Lonestar Special. I was even running it at 5W and I was still too loud apparently. The poor drummer was hardly even tickling his snare!

I played a classic rock gig last night with the axfx2, the mfc, and two rcfnx12's. Version 8.02.

I used ONE preset through the entire night. USA lead. All I did was boost the mids a hair and cut the highs and bottom end, and cut a bit of gain in the amp.

This was by far the best tone I can recall ever having. Harmonix, perfect low end, tight christal clear cutting highs.
Maybe it was a combination of the Axfx the room and my guitar, but it seemed like the guy's at Fractal dialled in that spacific patch for that show.

It was like... a spiritual experience.

Today I wondered how it could be possible to improve the sounds coming from the magic black box..?.

Hey Cliff.... Thanks.

My Axe-FX arrived on Thursday and, as much as I've been enjoying it, I've been in two minds about whether to keep it or not as my "traditional" guitar rig is so good. I've just got in from a gig where we had to play whisper quiet, so quiet in fact that the amp couldn't get going and I felt that my sound tonight was thin and lifeless, no matter how I adjusted the tone controls on the amp or the guitar.

I generally only play out live - I do play at home for my own enjoyment, but I mean that I don't record or anything like that, this would just be a live tool. The ability to get the right sound at any volume level is just too good to pass up on. Then when I throw everything back in to the decision making, lightweight, compact, flexibility coming out of its ears (if it had them!), it's not exactly a hard decision.

My new Matrix gear should arrive on Wednesday; big shout out to Matt @Matrix for all his support and his valuable time. I've ordered a GT1000, together with a pair of CFR12's. I've tried auditioning things through headphones, which was terrible, and through one of my Mackie SRM450's, which was better, but still not right. I really can't wait for this little lot to land. Annoyingly, I've probably got our biggest gig of the year this Saturday coming (week today) and I won't have everything set up in time, nor will I have an MFC, so using the Axe-FX for the gig is out. I fully intend to take it to soundcheck though so our regular sound guy can hear what it sounds like at proper gig levels in an environment I know really well.

Providing I can coax the sounds I need for my 80s tribute band (Home - Total 80s), then I think this will be a keeper!

Cats at Matrix are top notch!

For me the amp/Passive cob worked the best.

Enjoy and look forward to your review!

Interesting...I've been using a Lonestar Special for the last few years and my Axe-FX arrived on Friday. :) I've only had the chance to plug in a pair of phones and noodle around a bit, but I was astounded by how quickly I got the Lonestar model to nail my live sound. I can't wait to get this new rig shaped up to take out.

BTW, the actual Lonestar Special is definitely a very loud 30 watts.

--
Bill

Interesting...I've been using a Lonestar Special for the last few years and my Axe-FX arrived on Friday. :) I've only had the chance to plug in a pair of phones and noodle around a bit, but I was astounded by how quickly I got the Lonestar model to nail my live sound. I can't wait to get this new rig shaped up to take out.

BTW, the actual Lonestar Special is definitely a very loud 30 watts.

--
Bill

That's a coincidence! It sounds like you and I are going to be going through a very similar experience over the next few weeks. I've not tried anything with the Lonestar model yet, just been playing with the various presets for now. I'm intrigued to see if there's any noticeable difference between the Lonestar (6L6) that's been modelled and the Lonestar Special (EL84) that we both own. I know it's the same preamp, just different power sections. It'd be great if I can recreate that gorgeous clean sound within the Axe-FX, although I was planning on leaning towards the Fender side of the camp. But isn't that just the best thing - all those amps within one unit instead of carting around 60lbs of amp plus who knows what else.

You're not kidding about the very loud 30 watts; it certainly knows how to get pumping. That's the trouble these days, playing in a function band, it's rare that I get to get it going. This Saturday's gig will probably be its last outing; fortunately it's at a proper music club so I can get it going and enjoy it.

I decided to take the Axe-FX to practice with me tonight, even though I have yet to get the MFC floorboard, nor the proper backline from Matrix, but I just couldn't resist giving it a whirl. I managed to find an old 2U rack bag to put it in and took one of my Mackie SRM-450's along.

First thing I discovered is that I really don't like the Mackie at volume, far too harsh in the top end, but it did okay. The other thing is that the stock patches are very, very boomy on the low end, at least through the Mackie. This was even with the hi-cut filter switched in on the Mackie. First couple of numbers and I was treading all over the bass player's territory. I went into the Global section and pulled out some of the low end, which certainly gave the bass player his room back.

I was using stock presets all night, and I've identified four or five that I will adapt for my own uses. Typically, they were dotted about all over the 000-384 range, so I got used to finding patches quickly. I can't use it live yet as I cannot do without the foot controller. From memory, the patches were 000 and 003 for the clean and overdriven Fendery sounds. 254 "Studio Clean", which really had the effected 80s vibe going for it, although the delay needs taming and Mark Day's preset (370 or 380, can't remember which). All the patches, apart from Mark's really benefitted from the global EQ cut, but it was just too drastic for the heavier patch and it lost a lot of its impact.

All in all, the consensus was positive. The two singers, keyboard player and bass player felt that I'd never sounded as good; the drummer couldn't really tell the difference, but I felt that that in itself is a positive as I don't want anybody to be able to tell the difference. Of course, the singer complemented me highly on Electric Dreams and that that was the standout song of the practice for him. What a surprise, as it was Mark's preset I used for that!

Another interesting thing for me at least is that I've definitely watched too many videos on the Axe-FX as I was jumping around the front panel without really any difficulty. I found it very intuitive, a least to make the adjustments I needed to do on the fly for tonight. I haven't read the manual properly yet as I wanted to just play for now, but I can see I'm going to have to to get right into the detail as I have some specific configurations in mind.

It's going to be an interesting and exciting few weeks and months whilst I get this setup just the way I want it.

Back
Top Bottom