Well its time to move on

shasha

Fractal Fanatic
I don't share a lot of personal information about myself online because I am paranoid and a bit on the private side, but this is a pretty significant deal for me and this is probably the best group of guys on the internet and I'm the most comfortable in here. Long story short (not super specific), but I've just been told that I'll be medically retired very soon (like in weeks). I am sure that many here will understand what that means and figure out who I work for (I don't like associating my online activities with my career). Its not a huge surprise, I injured my back a few years ago and have been hanging on and fighting in order to meet the time requirement for my pension and full benefits and I made it to 20 years a few months ago so I knew that this was coming. I've got some other medical stuff going on as well and as embarrassing as it is sometimes to be labeled as disabled (because I don't feel like it; I've seen disabled people and I feel like a poser to be honest)...but anyway I am going to be compensated pretty generously. When I say generously I mean its just a nice unexpected addition, not "I won't ever have to work a day in my life" type of generous. :)

Anyway, I suppose it's kind of hard to let go after 20 years and I've enjoyed it and had the best career I could have asked for doing something I love. I really didn't want to go, but the time is here.

You know, I really do need to get my head examined here. I suppose the biggest news is that I just got an offer sheet for a job making a little more money, doing about the same thing with none of the extra BS involved and combined with my pension and disability I will be pretty comfy. The timing of all of this coming together at the same time was something that I couldn't have planned and I'm still just trying to figure out how it all happened. I mean we're talking about less than a week's time for my life to be completely turn upside down, thrown down a flight of stairs and then it got up and dusted itself off and smiled. Its almost scary.

And yeah it's been excruciatingly stressful knowing that the hammer was going to fall at any time and there was no way to plan around it so I should feel more relieved than I do. I mean you can plan stuff when it's on your own terms and you set the dates, but I was in a state of unknown with no way to predict or plan for almost a year now. That sucked. Hard. I don't think that anyone knew just how much pent up stress was going on with me.

Its just a huge life changing event. Even good change creates some kind of stress. Maybe I just feel old now. Maybe its part of not being able to let go of things that have been important for so long and trying to grasp that they won't matter in a few weeks time.

I don't know how to feel exactly, but I do know that I should be grateful for the situation I'm in. I told someone today that I couldn't believe how lucky I was (and this is a guy that we tend to just dog each other to death) and he said "luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity". I know that it was a compliment and I appreciated it, but I do think that saying that I was prepared is taking too much credit away from just plain old dumb luck.

I didn't intend on this being this long, but the funny thing is that through a lot of those evenings when things were unknown and I was worried this place has been a great distraction and outlet to keep me from dwelling on things. That's a thank you in case you didn't pick up on that. :) I know that I tend to go all over the place when I start typing.

Life is just a series of 'stories' for everyone. I wish I had realised that when I was younger. Spent WAY too much time clinging to 'stories' that had run past due, because I was afraid of change. However, each time I let go and began a new phase of my life, I became a better person (I'd like to think :) ).

Also - I like your perspective on things. I know more than one person who, if put in the same situation as you, would still see it as a huge negative and end up in a worse situation. The fact that you are seizing it as a positive and moving ahead with it means there is a 99.9999999999999% chance you will be OK...

Wow. I'm reading the title "Well it's time to move on," and I'm thinking you just got an endorsement deal from Line6 or something, and we won't see your smiling face around here anymore. I'm glad to see that's not the case (at least I think that's what I'm seeing).

I can see where you had some serious sources of stress in the past, but I've scoured your post, and try as I might, my brother, I don't see cause for anything but optimism for the future. It's unsettling to leave something you enjoy, but to have something even better drop into your lap is amazing. I thought I was going to ride my last job into retirement. It was fulfilling, and I never had so much fun for a living. But they had a change of guard and wielded a broad axe at my department. I was in one of the severed chunks. It sounds like you're stepping into something better. I could kill you for envy, but you're just too nice of a guy to do that to. :)

Yeah, it can be hard to let go of things that have been so important for so long. But a year from now, the letting-go won't seem so important either. Enjoy!

This is strange... I just posted about how I ruined my back earlier today and now I'm reading your post... AND, though I've never mentioned this before, we share the same first name (assuming, of course, your name is Sasha as opposed to Shasha... mine is spelled Sacha).

Go figure.

This is strange... I just posted about how I ruined my back earlier today and now I'm reading your post... AND, though I've never mentioned this before, we share the same first name (assuming, of course, your name is Sasha as opposed to Shasha... mine is spelled Sacha).

Go figure.
Its actually my last name even thought its spelled completely differently.

What did you do to your back? Mine's weird because there's no disc issues at all, it's all facet joints and nerves and some arthritis, maybe some bone spurs. I was lucky in that I found a doctor that suggested RF ablation and its amazing. The procedure sucks, but the effects are amazing. It was so bad and I had such severe overload that I was starting to have trouble walking without a cane. It was like someone hit my funny bone, but instead of in the arm it was down the leg and 24/7 for about 4 years. I really thought that I'd be in a wheel chair in a few years the way things were going, but just the other day I ran 6 miles (trying to get back into it after the winter) and besides my feet being a little sore I felt great. Think I could have done 10 to be honest. Didn't want to though.

I'm just saying to not get discouraged and listen to the doctors as best you can. If it's muscle related you should be able to recover fine, if its disc you are going to have a bit of a struggle, but you'd be amazed at what they can do today. And heck if its just nerve and facet joints like nine you can get the nerves fried about once every 6 months.

Mine is entirely muscle related... not a huge deal, but very painful at the moment and will be for the next few weeks. No doctor can fix this aside from prescribing serious pain killers, which I don't like to take. The pain lets me know what's going on down there...

I shouldn't be whining... your situation is of a more serious nature.

Mine is entirely muscle related... not a huge deal, but very painful at the moment and will be for the next few weeks. No doctor can fix this aside from prescribing serious pain killers, which I don't like to take. The pain lets me know what's going on down there...

I shouldn't be whining... your situation is of a more serious nature.
You're not whining. For me Naproxen always works great for back pain and inflammation. Of course the good old heat/cold pack thing and then some simple stuff like leg lifts to strengthen the core will help to take some of the pressure off. But naturally do what your doctor says.

Hot tub?

I don't share a lot of personal information about myself online because I am paranoid and a bit on the private side, but this is a pretty significant deal for me and this is probably the best group of guys on the internet and I'm the most comfortable in here. Long story short (not super specific), but I've just been told that I'll be medically retired very soon (like in weeks).
Wow. For a moment in the first few sentences I thought you were diagnosed with aggressive cancer and were going to kick the bucket in a few weeks.

Or to quit guitar playing. Or a fate worse that that: go back to tube amps and refrigerator racks! OR A KEMPER!
Please save me from my imagined tortures!

Am I relieved to read on.

Congrats on the luck, then! Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Good luck on the back issues.

Last edited:
I feel your pain... literally. I had a failed L4-L5 lumbar fusion back in '01 that forced me to take an early medical retirement. Since I'm no longer able to do any physical activities I've gained about 75 lbs. in that time. The real killer of it all is that 10 years after the fact I learn that my doc was a cocaine addict. I showed up at 6AM at the hospital back in January '01 for the surgery when I was told my surgery had been cancelled because my doc had the flu. Last year I learned about his addiction and that he no longer even practices medicine. So now I'm thinking the flu story was all BS. He was probably on an all weekend bender and couldn't make it to work that morning.

Wow, when I read the title I thought..."damnit, he's leaving us and going back to his Eleven Rack!".

Sorry to hear about the back situation, but look on the bright side - maybe now you'll have more time to just play your guitar and enjoy the things in life that make you happy. Good luck!

Congratulations man! ;), one of the few that can actually can do it bad back or not. You sound like you have really good skills so maybe it's time for your own business.

Judging by the responses so far back problems must be a lot more prevalent then I thought. I too was forced to retire 14 yrs ago, but my retirement came after back surgery. Sounds like you've come through it far better then I did. Good luck in the future.

Wow. For a moment in the first few sentences I thought you were diagnosed with aggressive cancer and were going to kick the bucket in a few weeks.

Or to quit guitar playing. Or a fate worse that that: go back to tube amps and refrigerator racks! OR A KEMPER!
Please save me from my imagined tortures!

Am I relieved to read on.

Congrats on the luck, then! Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Good luck on the back issues.

I thought the same thing at first, then was like PHHHEEEEEWWW!! :lol

wow, when things change so much in such a short period of time, it is a shock and a blessing.
sorry about the back pain. I've had some too and it is some of the worst there is IMO.
I'm not as fortunate as you and your work situation. I've never enjoyed/loved what I do for a living. And the pay could be WAY better.
Just keep on rolling with the changes and enjoy! (I'm trying to practice what I preach)

Back
Top Bottom