Well it’s official - PayPal are crap

pauly

Fractal Fanatic
I won’t bore you with too many details, but I can assert that PayPal no longer protect buyers from dishonest sellers. They used to be good, and add a layer of security to eBay purchases.
Many months ago I bought a laser level from a seller called skd-autoparts which arrived damaged. I reported the damage to the seller and tried to make arrangements to return it or to get the faulty parts sent so I could fix it They screwed me around, delayed and lied…just stalling me until after 2 or 3 months I lodged a PayPal refund. The seller continued to lie and pretend I could return the item, but after another couple of months, still would not give me an address to return it to, after all that time, paypal tell me that my refund was denied because I didn’t provide proof I’d sent the item back. A bit hard when they won’t give you an address.
So… time to ditch PayPal.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Pauly

Latest Terms of use is they can fine you for misinformation, hate speech or whatever.

Also shady other enterprise that mainstream media ignores to report.

Latest Terms of use is they can fine you for misinformation, hate speech or whatever.
Not doubting you, just confused, since I don't post content on PayPal, I just send people money.

Also shady other enterprise that mainstream media ignores to report.
Again not doubting you, just wondering what you're referring to.
Of course I'm not expecting you to violate this forum's TOS to answer.

I won’t bore you with too many details, but I can assert that PayPal no longer protect buyers from dishonest sellers. They used to be good, and add a layer of security to eBay purchases.
Many months ago I bought a laser level from a seller called skd-autoparts which arrived damaged. I reported the damage to the seller and tried to make arrangements to return it or to get the faulty parts sent so I could fix it They screwed me around, delayed and lied…just stalling me until after 2 or 3 months I lodged a PayPal refund. The seller continued to lie and pretend I could return the item, but after another couple of months, still would not give me an address to return it to, after all that time, paypal tell me that my refund was denied because I didn’t provide proof I’d sent the item back. A bit hard when they won’t give you an address.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Pauly
Been doing business with PayPal for what seems like nearly 20 years now. Can't recall any instances where I have had any problems as a seller or buyer. Typically though, waiting 2-3 months to get them involved in a dispute doesn't work in your favor. Sooner the better. I understand giving someone time to do the right thing, but I usually will give them about a week tops before escalating it.

eBay on the other hand, I would highly recommend avoiding that place if at all possible.

I'm going with a $2500 fine for wrong think.
PayPal has always had a policy that prohibits the use of paypal to fund illegal transactions, including fraudulent sales based on incorrect information about the goods being sold. This is nothing new and there's nothing unusual about that. All payment companies have such a policy. This somehow got distorted by the usual types into the idea that this policy has something to do with speech. That's laughable since paypal is not a message platform. However, paypal bears some responsibility for the confusion due to wording the policy poorly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Pauly
Sorry about your bad experience...

Interestingly, almost all the complaints I've seen in recent history are the opposite: almost always siding with buyer and the seller gets screwed.

Im simply NEVER sending them my SSN for 1099 purposes. Ever. I understand they can ask for it. I understand the law changed to an unreasonably low threshold. Anyone who sees my few dollars in sales in 2021 is welcome to come after me for it if they like. I’m STILL not giving EBay my SSN. I will die on this hill. The law is absolutely ridiculous you need to provide receipts or some kind of justification for sales on 20 year old shit that has been laying around in your basement you now want to turn into a few bucks. I’ll just move that kind of stuff on social media if I need to going forward.

You’re not the only one to recommend avoiding eBay. Why is that?
Thanks
Pauly

Been doing business with PayPal for what seems like nearly 20 years now. Can't recall any instances where I have had any problems as a seller or buyer. Typically though, waiting 2-3 months to get them involved in a dispute doesn't work in your favor. Sooner the better. I understand giving someone time to do the right thing, but I usually will give them about a week tops before escalating it.

eBay on the other hand, I would highly recommend avoiding that place if at all possible.

Nothing on the internet is safe, You make the choices. (you being anybody, not singling out anyone in this thread) That's just the way things are. Has nothing to do with mainstream anything, another made up word with no true value. It has all to do with thieves and disgusting people.

After all this time, I still get the occasional I am a blah blah blah banker and need to blah blah blah.
Before I die I would love to meet one of these scammers in person. They are everywhere, every race, every whatever-----------

But TBH, there are some sellers on the web that I would rather use paypal with than give them any credit card info.
I am leery by nature. I trust no one! Almost!

Can only speak to my experience with eBay. Over the years it's generally become what I describe as some sort of less efficient/less safe version of Amazon. Seems about 90% (could be more really) of the listings now are by companies, many of which are based in other countries, some of which have extremely shady practices and products, and some of which are straight up scams. The days where you're connecting with individuals that are selling stuff they have in their basement/attic/garage etc are long behind us.

eBay disputes back in the early days seemed to be a bit more "case by case" basis where things would be reviewed and decided upon with some bit of common sense. Nowadays it's more like hardline policies with no nuance and you can very easily and quickly get burned. Not worth it for me.

You can get into the recent tax crap as well (not their fault) but it's been crap long before that anyway.

To play devils advocate, there are a ton of instances where a buyer purchases something then for whatever reason, claims is “defective” et al., a month later and either wants a partial or full refund even when that gear works perfectly.

Don’t want to play ball and give them the $50 they want ? They say they will dispute it and get all their money back and your out even more as your paying both ways shipping.

I’m all in favor of buyer protection but also don’t want to see sellers essentially treated like Amazon with free returns, or blackmailed for partial refunds after the fact.

Heck, I sold a monophonic analog octave pedal to a guy and ended up losing both ways shipping because it was defective as it didn’t play chords right.

Showed PayPal tons of clips and articles talking about monophonic octave pedals, how they work etc, who cares, guy wants his money back 58 days later, they made me give it to them

As far as 1099-Misc, I think if your not willing to provide your tax ID, you do need to provide a social. At least as a private contractor who used to do about 50 of them a year that is how it worked

Just like starting a job and refusing to provide legal documentation.

As far as 1099-Misc, I think if your not willing to provide your tax ID, you do need to provide a social. At least as a private contractor who used to do about 50 of them a year that is how it worked

Just like starting a job and refusing to provide legal documentation.
I’m not giving them a god damn thing. They’re going to have to come get it.

I haven't ran into any PayPal issues but ebay has burned me as a buyer and a seller so I'm done with them. I only use PayPal for overseas stuff so not very often.

Back
Top Bottom