Well, I finally have to say something . . .

2Strats

Inspired
Normally I'm pretty reserved about bugs and glitches, but for some odd reason ,this morning I'm upset.

My II has crashed on me 3 consecutive times! I'll be in the middle of building a new patch via Axe Edit and . . . . . . . freeze city! Normally when this happens i'll shut everything down and restart it all and that will fix it, but not today.
For the record I'm using 6.02 firmware, the latest version of Edit, and Mountain Lion OS 10.8, and it works flawlessly, EXCEPT for this issue. I've also downloaded all of the newest drivers.

I appreciate as much as anyone else around here all of the hard work and dedication that Cliff and the rest of Team Fractal have put in to this wonderful machine, but this is silly.
I also appreciate the free firmware updates, and all of the comraderie associated with the forum and its community, but shouldn't reliability be closer to the top of the list?

Anyway, if anyone knows of a fix or solution, please pass it along.

Is it an issue with the Axe?
Is it an issue with Edit?
Is it an issue with my Mac?

Something's got to give.

Thanks!

It's Axe-Edit. Usually when moving stuff around this happens. We're working on it. I've instructed engineering in a new paradigm for Axe-Edit that should bring an end to all this nonsense with Axe-Edit. If they don't get it implemented, pink slips.

That's awesome Cliff, thanks!

I'm usually not a proponent of people losing their jobs but . . .

Oh happy day. I don't want people to lose jobs, but the flakiness of Axe Edit undermines the amazing nature of the Axe and it's great that serious efforts are under way to rectify that flakiness

Although I too don't want to see anyone lose their job, I think Mr. Chase has been more than patient with his employees on this issue.

Time to get to the bottom of it.

I agree, I agree.

Maybe I should man up and learn how to navigate the front screen, that would cure my frustrations till the new paradigm is ready.

I've had huge problems with this. Sometimes I've had to restart the unit 3-4 times during an hour of mocking with the unit. I also constantly have a gnawing feeling that it might happen at any moment and, not only loose my preset, but also eventually bork my unit - rendering it FUBAR. It most often happens when the unit is connected to the Axe Edit and even more so when I'm running the Editor and Logic at the same time. I was actually wondering about saying something about it when I found this thread. I'm glad that I'm not the only one and also that the wheels are in motion for a remedy... :geek

I've also encountered a problem with some settings being deleted or initialized by themselves. Like for instance if I choose a Marshall amp and set it up in a certain way. Then I go to do some reverb and maybe some compressor, and a delay. Then I go back to the amp block and the settings are initialized showing: 59 Bassman, for instance, instead. Same thing with other blocks, the cab's etc... Don't get me wrong. I actually think the idea and design of the Axe Edit is awesome. But it doesn't always follow through. It needs, as have been said here, more stability and consistency. :p

Also, there are some stuff that are IMHO illogical and somewhat backwards. For example the browse windows of functions like "open preset" or banks should IMHO be standard computer OS windows. Like for instance in OSX a Finder window. I constantly have to click my way through 7 folders to get to the right place, instead of using Finder's search functions. I realize that the menus are stylized and designed but it's a mess trying to find stuff on your computer... :mrgreen

I am on OSX myself. These problems have been inherent and persistant from 5.x through 7.0 and I've always had the latest Axe Edit installed. Like I said, I'm really anxious for being able to use the Editor with better stability and better OSX integration. How far down the line are the guys from reworking the Axe Edit? All in all, I really appreciate the work you've put in to create the editor. Using the Axe has always been so much more intuitive with it... :D

I'm wondering if the problems that people are having while using other applications has something to do with MIDI data being sent from a DAW or something and it confusing the issue?

In the meantime what works for me is to SLOW down when editing a patch. I wait until the MIDI IN light on the front panel is out before I change another setting (especially moving or adding a block) and I always SAVE FROM THE FRONT PANEL regularly. That way if it does take a gigantic dump on my lap I am not starting over from scratch.

Not perfect, but the choices are either don't use AxeEdit or live recklessly.

In the meantime what works for me is to SLOW down when editing a patch. I wait until the MIDI IN light on the front panel is out before I change another setting (especially moving or adding a block) and I always SAVE FROM THE FRONT PANEL regularly. That way if it does take a gigantic dump on my lap I am not starting over from scratch.

Must be a MD thing 8). I totally agree. Once I figured out that slowing down helped, the vast majority of lap pooping has ended. I think it's only crapped out on me once since I started waiting for functions to complete before asking it to do something else.

That's how I work with AE, too. I'm looking forward to the new & improved version (fully confident in the crew at FA to sort this out), but I'm just babying it right now.

I'm wondering if the problems that people are having while using other applications has something to do with MIDI data being sent from a DAW or something and it confusing the issue?

Good advice here which mirrors what I've been doing in the face of some AxeEdit instability:
- Always save from the front panel - not a big deal to do and ensures that the patch you hear is the patch you save with no chance of translation errors between the Axe and axeedit.
- Never change a patch "in place". By this I mean, make a copy of your patch to another slot, work on it there. When and only when you're satisfied with the results save it back to it's original position and remove the copy.
- Always take backups.
- Wait for the unit to react to change before going on to the next change.
- Test each block of your patch in isolation. When you change a patch retest each block on it's own to make sure each part is working as it did before and has not been impacted by your changes, or is impacted as expected by your changes.
- Test each change you make in isolation. If you're creating a patch with Wah/Comp/Amp/Cab/Delay/Verb/, do it in stages: Get the Amp/Cab working, add comp + check, add delay +check, add Verb + check, add controllers + check, then check the whole thing together. Backup at each staff so you can go back.

I'm a software developer by trade so I tend to follow these testing principals naturally (I have some scars that have made me this way!! lol!) and I think it's saved me some grief using the AxeFx.

Axe Edit does seem a bit flakey at times and I hope it gets stabilized (after the pink slip comment above I suspect some developers may be doing more regression testing in the future) but I don't worry to much about it since even if flakey it's still way better than using the front panel. AxeEdit issues don't worry me at all compared to the ones that could be related to the unit itself. I really don't like seeing those posts about units freezing intermittently etc when not connected to AxeEdit. since those seem hardware based and can sometimes only be corrected by sending the unit in for repair - these are serious as the intermittent nature compromises the unit's warranty since you never know if your unit will be prone to the problem after warranty expiry.

slooooooooooooooooooooow down, I know its difficult , when Im super excited about my sounds.

Hmmmmmm? I work on a Windows 7 machine with 8 gigs of ram and I 've had very, very few problems with Axe Edit.
the only times I've evr had any problems with it is if I have it open and have Reaper open at the same time.
I usually use it for most of my patch editing. I don't even know how to get to some of the parameters thru the front panel:lol
which is probably not too smart on my end :geek

+1 on slowdown. I had experienced some hangs when moving blocks around in AE. Changing the move to two distinct operations has stopped the hangs:
1) click on the block (and release mouse). Wait for the settings area to update with the new controls and settings.
2) now safe to start the drag/move operation of the selected block.

I've had my axe freeze 4-5 times today. All while using axe-edit. Without it, everything seems fine. v7.00, newest axe edit. Windows 7 machine with more hardware than would ever be necessary for this type of thing.

Back
Top Bottom