Well I did it...sold my Axe-Fx 3. FM3 is going solo!

Although I’d LOVE to have the processing power of the III, I realllly don’t want a rack-based unit—I want a floor-based unit. This is why I have the FM3.

I’d insta buy an FM3 with full power. More switches would be nice as well, yes.
Which is why some of us added an FC6 to the FM, Cygness is on the way right!

Last edited:
Weird as I always love the flagship....and still do. But the form factor of the FM3 is just fun and simple. If they sold a Axe Fx 3/FC12 in one floorboard and full power, I would buy it in a heartbeat. But again this is so much fun to have all in a little package.
Ditto I'd jump on a AX3 or equivalent in foot peddle format right now, love my FM3 and FC6 which is the next best thing...

Yeah, I’d jump on an FMAX12 too, but it looks like the foot pedal format is headed the other direction! That’s ok... something for everyone is a good plan.

I thought I was headed the same direction as the OP with the AX8, but it just never happened for me. Always something missing. I‘m sticking with the Big Dog until there’s a no compromise floor option.

It’s awesome that the FM3 is working for you, @Tremonti . I’m glad for you!

I actually have an FC6. The extra switches would be great but it’s the additional power I really want.
Are you looking to run dual amp sims or just be able to run high quality verb kitchen sink preset without running out of cpu?

When the Axe FX III came out I looked at it as more of a studio piece and not so much as a live unit... for me anyway. Unless your a big time touring artist with a full time tech or need to run a grip of complex presets the III seemed overkill for the guy that's doing the small basic gig with a few sonic colors.

At almost a year in with the FM/FC6 I'm still good with it! I haven't found any need for more processing power. I have built some reasonably complex presets and have found I'm not running into that wall. I even sold off the H9 Black out I had for the very reason of freeing up CPU and found that I really wasn't needing it.

Are you looking to run dual amp sims or just be able to run high quality verb kitchen sink preset without running out of cpu?

When the Axe FX III came out I looked at it as more of a studio piece and not so much as a live unit... for me anyway. Unless your a big time touring artist with a full time tech or need to run a grip of complex presets the III seemed overkill for the guy that's doing the small basic gig with a few sonic colors.

At almost a year in with the FM/FC6 I'm still good with it! I haven't found any need for more processing power. I have built some reasonably complex presets and have found I'm not running into that wall. I even sold off the H9 Black out I had for the very reason of freeing up CPU and found that I really wasn't needing it.

Dual amp sims. I’ve been okay with the amount of stuff I can fit in a preset.

Just got the FM3 and really loving the portability. Kept the III though and it's now wired into the studio desk. The FC-12 with the FM3 is fantastic, though the footprint is a bit large, especially with a couple of expression pedals. An FM3-like offering with the switches and footprint of an FC-12....? I'd be all over that like grease on fried chicken.

Weird, I thought I was one of a smaller minority that preferred floor units. Everytime someone comes out with a floor-only device, the masses are always shouting for a rack unit instead.

Weird, I thought I was one of a smaller minority that preferred floor units. Everytime someone comes out with a floor-only device, the masses are always shouting for a rack unit instead.
I think you might be hearing from those that like having a flagship processor just because. I'll be honest I have been jonesing for a tube amp experience again, not sure why. Maybe just looking for a simple few great tones. I came real close to pulling the trigger on a Suhr PT15 IR.

I figured I would wait on Cygness and give it a listen then make up my mind as to whether or not I want to add an actual tube amp back into my life.

I think you might be hearing from those that like having a flagship processor just because. I'll be honest I have been jonesing for a tube amp experience again, not sure why. Maybe just looking for a simple few great tones. I came real close to pulling the trigger on a Suhr PT15 IR.

I figured I would wait on Cygness and give it a listen then make up my mind as to whether or not I want to add an actual tube amp back into my life.
I’ve got a bunch of tube amps. So far they haven’t been calling to me.

Before we had the Ax8, there was definitely masses shouting for a floor-only device as well. I guess the masses like to shout :)

I’ve got a bunch of tube amps. So far they haven’t been calling to me.
I have been without a tube amp for almost 11 years! They haven't really been calling me either, at least until last week Ha! I will probably just stay where I'm at FAS products have never let me down and have always kept GAS in check! Maybe it's the smell of hot tubes and warm tolex that I miss. The guy that's able to make a candle or bottle that small might stand to make a little money.

I just can't bring myself to sell my III. I enjoy using the rack version. I have mine setup so that I use some tiltback rack arms that a kind user here directed me to and it works amazing as it tilts up in front of me. I like having the option of the extra power in case I need it.

I have been without a tube amp for almost 11 years! They haven't really been calling me either, at least until last week Ha! I will probably just stay where I'm at FAS products have never let me down and have always kept GAS in check! Maybe it's the smell of hot tubes and warm tolex that I miss. The guy that's able to make a candle or bottle that small might stand to make a little money.

The FM3 through the return of my 5153s or Friedman is glorious. Not as practical as using my studio monitors but it definitely makes me smile even bigger.

It would be insanely cool in stereo with two amps, which is why I’d love to be able to run dual amps with the FM3.

I just can't bring myself to sell my III. I enjoy using the rack version. I have mine setup so that I use some tiltback rack arms that a kind user here directed me to and it works amazing as it tilts up in front of me. I like having the option of the extra power in case I need it.
I had the same type of setups with all the Axe FX's in the past I just like the form factor of a AIO on the floor! I never really got into running dual amp sims so CPU wasn't /isn't an issue for me.

I totally get having options! I said it before, I would rather have it and not need it then to need it and not have it! I guess the FM3 for me is enough when it comes to that saying. If I was really into recording I would have a AXE III and a studio to record in.

Last edited:
Are you using the OMG-15 layout?
I used that as a start. I have FM3 buttons as Presets, Tap Tempo and Tuner. The FC12 is in banks of 10 with bank up and down. When I select a preset on the FC12 it switches to scenes that are 6 scenes on bottom and 6 instant access buttons on top. Does the trick!

Back
Top Bottom