Well, how do you like that? I was “noteworthy”

Rick

Axe-Master
My wife told me I was in the local paper over the weekend, a surprise considering I retired as Chief of Police earlier in 2019 and don’t get the coverage I once did! Apparently, my retirement itself was deemed one of the noteworthy events of the year! I‘ll just take it that means the 30+ years preceding it were noteworthy too!

Here’s to 2020 and new horizons!

461582B9-166C-44DD-A60C-BB8DA01A45F6.png

Congrats on the retirement and thank you for the decades of service! My father was a 30+ year veteran of the LA Fire Dept. I just retired from 30 years of Aerospace IT a couple of years ago. People said I would get bored. In actuality, I can't find the time to do all the activities I want and cannot understand how I did everything before and worked 50+ hour weeks to boot.

Again, congrats on your retirement and a huge thank you for putting your life on the line daily to serve your community.

Congrats on the retirement and thank you for the decades of service! My father was a 30+ year veteran of the LA Fire Dept. I just retired from 30 years of Aerospace IT a couple of years ago. People said I would get bored. In actuality, I can't find the time to do all the activities I want and cannot understand how I did everything before and worked 50+ hour weeks to boot.

Again, congrats on your retirement and a huge thank you for putting your life on the line daily to serve your community.
Yes, I got the “you’ll be bored” predictions too. You know, after the final 15 years at different levels of 24/7/365 command, I can do absolutely nothing worthwhile all day and be just peachy. I don’t know how I got anything done working, because I can’t seem to fit everything in now! It’s only been a few months, but zero complaints here!

To all, thanks for the kind words. It was an honor to serve alongside the men and woman of public safety and first response, and for a grateful public. Looking back, it’s hard to imagine coming through it all in one piece, but I have memories to last a lifetime.

Congrats on and thank you for 30+ years of safe service. My dad was one of the unfortunate ones shot in the line of duty so I'm very thankful to hear of others who have served and survived to see retirement.

of course you’re noteworthy - you’re one of us!
thanks Rick
pauly

My wife told me I was in the local paper over the weekend, a surprise considering I retired as Chief of Police earlier in 2019 and don’t get the coverage I once did! Apparently, my retirement itself was deemed one of the noteworthy events of the year! I‘ll just take it that means the 30+ years preceding it were noteworthy too!

Here’s to 2020 and new horizons!

View attachment 61721

Congratulations on your retirement and we appreciate your long years of service! Thanks also for encouraging my retirement fantasies!
I recall a quote that went something like “by the time we’ve made it, we’ve had it.” I knew the profession would take a toll, and made an exit plan from early on. I wanted 2 things:

1. To retire while I was still at the top of my game. I wanted to go while people wanted me to stay, not the other way around!
2. To finally have time to do things and be in a physical condition to enjoy it.

In the end, I was able to make the move a couple of months earlier than planned, but no sooner. It really showed me how impossible it would have been to get to retirement without a plan. Would have been better if I had started earlier, but you can only start where you are... and that’s the real trick of it. Oh, to be in my 20s again, and not know everything this time. Lol. I made a point to sit down with every person I hired and go through the how and why of saving for later life and retirement. I truly hope some of them listened!

All that said, I’m doing fine and the wife will retire at the end of ’22, so we’re happy with how things are shaking out. I wish you the best in getting to your goals!

I recall a quote that went something like “by the time we’ve made it, we’ve had it.” I knew the profession would take a toll, and made an exit plan from early on. I wanted 2 things:

1. To retire while I was still at the top of my game. I wanted to go while people wanted me to stay, not the other way around!
2. To finally have time to do things and be in a physical condition to enjoy it.

In the end, I was able to make the move a couple of months earlier than planned, but no sooner. It really showed me how impossible it would have been to get to retirement without a plan. Would have been better if I had started earlier, but you can only start where you are... and that’s the real trick of it. Oh, to be in my 20s again, and not know everything this time. Lol. I made a point to sit down with every person I hired and go through the how and why of saving for later life and retirement. I truly hope some of them listened!

All that said, I’m doing fine and the wife will retire at the end of ’22, so we’re happy with how things are shaking out. I wish you the best in getting to your goals!

Hi Rick
You are absolutely right about a plan that was exactly what I did had all my ducks in a row and like you I left a month earlier than I had planed.
I have to say it worked and it is nice to not be to beat up from the job or health wise, and also I don’t know how I had the time to do everything I do now. Lol
My sister lives in lake Jackson and I remember hearing of your retirement.

I come from a line of firefighters.

My Dad was a Captain on the Detroit fire department and his brother was over the training Department and Then was chief of the Northville Fire Department outside Detroit for 15 years.
So I guess you could say I followed in there foot steps.

My wife has been retired for 4 years now which is great we have been traveling a lot.

Especially now because of Hurricane Michael October 10 2018 we are living in a 5th wheel trailer in our driveway waiting on our Attorney so we can start to rebuild our home.
We were in lake Jackson last September running from Hurricane Dorian really enjoyed seeing my sister.

Congratulations on your retirement :)

I hope you have many years of drawing that retirement check!

Hi Rick
You are absolutely right about a plan that was exactly what I did had all my ducks in a row and like you I left a month earlier than I had planed.
I have to say it worked and it is nice to not be to beat up from the job or health wise, and also I don’t know how I had the time to do everything I do now. Lol
My sister lives in lake Jackson and I remember hearing of your retirement.

I come from a line of firefighters.

My Dad was a Captain on the Detroit fire department and his brother was over the training Department and Then was chief of the Northville Fire Department outside Detroit for 15 years.
So I guess you could say I followed in there foot steps.

My wife has been retired for 4 years now which is great we have been traveling a lot.

Especially now because of Hurricane Michael October 10 2018 we are living in a 5th wheel trailer in our driveway waiting on our Attorney so we can start to rebuild our home.
We were in lake Jackson last September running from Hurricane Dorian really enjoyed seeing my sister.

Congratulations on your retirement :)

I hope you have many years of drawing that retirement check!
Awesome! Glad to hear you’re doing well, and best wishes on the house! I was always glad to have FD and EMS brothers and sisters on scene. That sense of brotherhood on the call is something I do miss! Let me know if you come back to the area, perhaps my band (Intercoastal Pirates) will be playing!

Back
Top Bottom