Well, after a few shows I have a complaint

Played my 3rd show last night. And though I feel as if I have a good grip on the tone and the feel of the AX8/CLR wedge vs a head and cabinet there's 'one' thing that is driving me kinda nuts

It's rolling back the volume. Though the digital tones are amazing...the cleaning up of the tone when rolling back the volume isn't. It's quite horrible actually. Broken up digital sound as if I'm playing a line6 or something. I'm not bashing this unit by any means and I don't want it to come off like that, but coming from over 25yrs of playing tube amps this is something that I'm not adjusting to very well.
Am I doing something wrong?? Am I loading too many blocks in a single patch (even though not are all on at the same time)?? The over all FOH tone is simply amazing...it really is! But when rolling back the volume the signal just breaks up and sounds bad. Its of the biggest parts of my playing and I'm really bummed about this because I love just about everything else about the AX8.
One last little complaint would be that the feedback does not 'bloom' into a natural sounding and usable feedback no matter how hard I try to coax it

Any suggestions or ideas?? I really do LOVE this thing. Loading in and out at a show has never been so easy. Of the 3 shows I've used it at so far, the soundman at each venue gave me nothing but compliments on my tone. During sound checks when we run thru a couple songs I go out front, and each time I can't believe how great this thing sounds! It would be 'perfect' if it weren't for my two little complaints

I have never experienced what you seem to be.
Rolling off the volume knob and getting a clean sound works perfectly, though I certainly haven't tried every amp in the library.
I use the Dirty Shirley as a single channel amp...volume knob up for crunch and down for shimmering cleans.
Also get gorgeous feedback pretty much on demand.
Single coil Strats into the AX8 then CLR...couldn't be happier.

No complaints here. It's actually one of the first things I tried when I first got mine. I think it's a noise gate setting because it'll make that noise when a weak signal is fluttering around the gate threshold.

I do use the gate. Without getting into the editor I have it set at like 11:00

I'm using a 50w jumped Marshall setting without a boost except for when I solo

Played my 3rd show last night. And though I feel as if I have a good grip on the tone and the feel of the AX8/CLR wedge vs a head and cabinet there's 'one' thing that is driving me kinda nuts

It's rolling back the volume. Though the digital tones are amazing...the cleaning up of the tone when rolling back the volume isn't. It's quite horrible actually. Broken up digital sound as if I'm playing a line6 or something. I'm not bashing this unit by any means and I don't want it to come off like that, but coming from over 25yrs of playing tube amps this is something that I'm not adjusting to very well.
Am I doing something wrong?? Am I loading too many blocks in a single patch (even though not are all on at the same time)?? The over all FOH tone is simply amazing...it really is! But when rolling back the volume the signal just breaks up and sounds bad. Its of the biggest parts of my playing and I'm really bummed about this because I love just about everything else about the AX8.
One last little complaint would be that the feedback does not 'bloom' into a natural sounding and usable feedback no matter how hard I try to coax it

Any suggestions or ideas?? I really do LOVE this thing. Loading in and out at a show has never been so easy. Of the 3 shows I've used it at so far, the soundman at each venue gave me nothing but compliments on my tone. During sound checks when we run thru a couple songs I go out front, and each time I can't believe how great this thing sounds! It would be 'perfect' if it weren't for my two little complaints
I dont roll off the volume very much, so I cant speak to that. But as far as the feedback, I am able to get great feedback. Although I am using a PA and 2x12 speaker cab.

My guess is the gate as well. I get all kinds of weird sounding rolloff as the input level drops if I'm too aggressive with the gate.

RR

I don't know what you set at 11, threshold should be a - number like - 70, then the ratio 2:1 to 4:1 or similar I don't mess with any other settings there.

My only issue I noticed is in using single coils on my Strats and Tele: Noisier than expected compared to my GT100.

I would dial up the noise gate to compensate which interfered with the sound when the volume pot was rolled back. It seems that the AX8 is far more sensitive to input than my old setup.

Bought Lace Sensor Gold, Rainbow and Fishman Fluence pickups. My first goal was to eliminate the hum and noise. Also eliminate the need to put the noise gate so high as to experience that spitting sound you get when the input signal is fighting the gate when the volume pot is very low.

With the Lace & Fishman installed on the Strats, I brought down the noise gate on the AX8 and am able to get that wonderful gain roll off much more so than ever by a wide margin. Happy camper here! Mind you, my Fenders were always stock pickups.

Just looked at my AX8-Edit... "11" would put the Gate Threshold around -60 to -55, which might start to hit the signal when you roll off, but really, that's still pretty low.

Have you checked the global Noise Gate Offset? Try setting that to 0 if it's not.

It's the gate. I set mine so there's no noise when the guitar volume control is at zero. The seems to work week for noise and dynamics.

I have the same issue. It is very limiting to me. Been trying to narrow it down but haven't figured it out yet. What noise gate settings are you guys that don't have the issue using? I'm using the stock intelligent setting and tweaking the threshold from there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I roll off my volume quite a bit when I play and what you're describing definitely sounds like the gate. I generally don't use the gate on my presets. It's too hard to dial in a gate that works well at all input volumes from my guitar.

If you do like the clamp down the noise reduction and don't want to give up the gate, consider using the GATE block and having an IA dedicated to engaging/bypassing it. That'll let you take it out of the signal path when you're playing softer passages or working a tone with the volume backed way down.

Ive had this happen and its usually the noise gate, you should turn it off and then test it, also record a clip

Bet it's the gate.. I use the gate block, any time i need to roll down volume i kick it off. I dont use the built in gate as i cant turn it off via a switch, at least i'm not sure i can or not.

I also think it is the gate. I love my rolled back tones. As for feedback I get killer feedback. Where I stand in relation to CLR is key

Back
Top Bottom