Welcome TREVOR RABIN!

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
We are extremely honored to welcome Trevor Rabin to the roster of artists using Fractal Audio Systems products. Trevor selected the Axe-Fx II as his main guitar rig for a triumphant return to the stage with YES bandmates Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman, touring together as "ARW". Trevor has worked recently as a film composer and we're very much looking forward to seeing how he continues to work Fractal into his future in the studio as well.

Here's some of what he had to say:

"The Axe-Fx II is just ridiculous. The modeling is just great, and it was really the only product of its kind that I could bond with. On tour, it’s been trouble-free and has replaced my entire rig: big stereo amps, pedals, effects, a switching rig. It’s just great…really great!"

PS: Here's a secret that you won't read elsewhere. On the first day he demo'd the unit, I sent Trevor a preset which was a Tone Match of a passage from his recent solo album, "Jacaranda". He practically plays the "Tone Match Boogie" on the album so it was a natural choice. HE LOVED IT! I converted the matches to cabs and exported it as a bundle, which I'll offer to you here shortly.

http://trevorrabin.net
http://www.arw-tour.com

TrevorRabin_ARW_05.jpg

Very cool. I've been checking out their shows and grabbed one of his interviews where he was discussing his live sound now and then. He said that he wasn't able to replicate his live tone from back in the old days and decided to rebuild his whole rig from scratch, also saying he was using complicated technology to achieve his 2016 sound. I was hoping that said technology would be Fractal, turns out, it is!

Well done, another big one under FAS' belt!

Trevor is just outstanding. It makes sense that he'd be using an Axe-Fx to get his tones live. I saw ARW in Boston a few weeks ago, and Trevor was just stellar. Pretty terrible mix though. When the sound guy bothered to turn him up, his tones were great.

Can't wait to hear what Trevor is doing with the Axe Fx. I saw him with Yes back in 87 on the Big generator tour. Great guitarist! He is in good company with Fractal Audio.

PS: Here's a secret that you won't read elsewhere. On the first day he demo'd the unit, I sent Trevor a preset which was a Tone Match of a passage from his recent solo album, "Jacaranda". He practically plays the "Tone Match Boogie" on the album so it was a natural choice. HE LOVED IT! I converted the matches to cabs and exported it as a bundle, which I'll offer to you here shortly.
Well! That's SUPER cool! Thanks @Admin M@ and pass along a thank you to Trevor as well for allowing the sharing to happen!

This is great news. I loved Trevor's live sound this tour. Any patches or blocks to share would be an amazing bonus.

Saw Trevor with ARW last week and they were awesome - much better than I anticipated based on early reviews. I saw the Axe on stage and smiled. Lee Pomeroy, the bassist, who previously channeled Mike Rutherford for Steve Hackett's Genesis Revisited used a device that shall not be named. Trevor did use the Axe to great effect on many Yes tunes - for example, And You And I for some ethereal lines instead of Steve Howe's table steel. It worked well. Unfortunately we were slightly off of center and had A LOT of difficulty hearing both the guitar and keys, but when the guitar came through the mix, the guitar sounded great.

Note - many others have complained about the mix. This is really the first time in 40 years of concert going that I can honestly say the mix was bad. All other times, while not perfect, it was acceptable. Here, Jon, bass and drums sounded perfectly mixed. Keys and guitar were Really really low. I only knew what Trevor was playing because I used to play all of these songs.

Ask Trevor to post some patches!

I had front row tickets to the Union Tour in 1990. Trevor's live sound was totally insane. He really outshined everyone else on stage. Maybe I am biased, because I am a guitarist. The show I saw was in Miami, at the original arena where the Miami Heat began the franchise. The stage was in the round, and rotated slowly so you could see each musician. I didn't know who to watch - everybody on stage was a super star. I even met flagged down two of the roadies I recognized from a Journey documentary I had seen a few weeks prior to that show, and shook hands with both of them! A memory I will cherish forever.

As for Mr. Rabin, not only do I love his guitar playing, note selection, tone, song writing, arranging, and production/mixing of the iconic tunes, but the dude has one of the best rock voices ever, and never did receive the credit or notoriety that he deserved, on his vocals alone.

Glad he's part of "the Fam" now! Great job Matt and sales team!

Just wanted to add a few other comments. Yes is my all-time favorite band (Genesis a close second). My first concert (age 13) was Yes in the Round at MSG in 1978. Still have the ticket stub. I have heard Yes songs too many times to count and I never tire of hearing them. While I saw the Steve Howe version of Yes a few years ago (with Chris Squire - RIP), although Jon Davidson did an admirable job, it ain't Yes without Jon.

During Heart of the Sunrise at the ARW show in NJ (took me 4 hours to get home to LI), I had a peaceful moment. Hearing Jon sing that song brought to me a sense of calm, joy and happiness that I haven't felt in a really long time. I was amazing to hear Jon sing these songs again, perhaps the last time for me in concert.

Back
Top Bottom