Welcome to Australia, Sad tale of buying musical equipment online

Whats worse is that some distributors seem to charge more in Australia because, hey - screw Australia. There was a stink here about a year ago when it was pointed out that it was cheaper to buy plane tickets and fly to the United States and buy Adobe CS6 than to buy it here.Why? Because they can. So yes, we are sometimes getting it from both ends, so to speak.

I'm all for supporting the local store when I can, or the local distributor. I can even swallow paying a little more - Independant Music seems to be be operating at a fair margain and I bought my Axe and MFC through them for warranty and all that. But that PRS P24T that I was eying off on Sweetwater for $3400? About $7000 list here. I'm sure the local store would try to do a good deal for me, but I doubt it is going to be anywhere near the U.S. price.

In Europe things are much better. When ordering from anywhere in the EU you don't pay duty, everything is in Euros so is easily comparable, shipping is realistically priced. The only reason I would order from a local store is warranty, and even then I'd weigh up how much the warranty is worth to me. In the Republic of Ireland, the prices are generally hitched up, but I usually went across the border to the North and cut a few hundred off the price off my Macbook Pro. Indeed, there are parcel hotels springing up in Ireland where you can get goods delivered from places that don't generally deliver to Ireland, but deliver to the North, and they will ship it down for a cheap rate.

Since moving to New Zealand I find it cheaper to buy in Europe and get relatives to ship it.

Whats worse is that some distributors seem to charge more in Australia because, hey - screw Australia. There was a stink here about a year ago when it was pointed out that it was cheaper to buy plane tickets and fly to the United States and buy Adobe CS6 than to buy it here.Why? Because they can. So yes, we are sometimes getting it from both ends, so to speak.

I'm all for supporting the local store when I can, or the local distributor. I can even swallow paying a little more - Independant Music seems to be be operating at a fair margain and I bought my Axe and MFC through them for warranty and all that. But that PRS P24T that I was eying off on Sweetwater for $3400? About $7000 list here. I'm sure the local store would try to do a good deal for me, but I doubt it is going to be anywhere near the U.S. price.

THIS ^ is absolutely correct .....same experience here !!!! Independent Music was very fair, local Suhr distributor was charging almost 50% more than US prices ! CRAZY So I purchased directly from the US, and even after all the costs, saved a heap and had so much more choice ! Original thread http://forum.fractalaudio.com/lounge/79930-guitar-purchase-dilemma-2.html

Last edited:
The way I read it the copay doesn't kick in until after you paid the $5k or $6k deductible, so your medical costs are all FULL PRICE!!! After your deductible is met, then you get the copay cost. Preventive care visits are "free", but I'm 50 years old, and I haven't had one preventive care visit ever. what a joke. Here's some free preventive care: DON"T GET HIGH AND STUFF DORITOS AND CANDY BARS IN YOUR FACE then expect the doc to fix you for free WHEN YOU GET DIABETES KIDNEY FAILURE AND HEART DISEASE. Get your butt OFF THE COUCH and GO TO WORK. IT"S GOOD FOR YOU TO DO THAT! Those people in the system are doomed and unfortunately the rest of us aren't far behind.

I'd move to Australia if the music gear didn't cost so much. LOL

Man, I think I just had a rant. sorry for derailing your thread my aussie brothers.

Moved to Australia ( rural Victoria) from Germany about 5 years ago . I'm really liking it but when it comes to buy some music gear it sucks big time. I'm glad that we now moved to Brisbane some year ago and that I have Independent Music with Andrew nearby. Great guy and reasonable priced there are also a few other shops which you can get good deals but I agree if you want something special like Suhr , PRS or some electronic gear, you get milked
Oh well that's life and I will survive:)
Cheers (enjoying the great weather now:) )

Back
Top Bottom