Welcome John Mayer

I had one, but sold it.
I love the crisp highs on a Strat. The Silver Sky does away with them - it's like it has a brick-wall low-pass filter on the very high chimy register. Very useful in a live band mix and pleasing to many ears, but I just love to have the chimy top end intact. Also, the pickups are super hot when compared to other strats. Oddly enough, they didn't feel as dynamic as some pickups. Feels odd to describe but it's like it was constantly feeding out a more even, kinda compressed signal than a normal strat with a lot of dynamic range. I know my technical terminology sucks here and might be totally wrong, but that's what it felt for me, haha.

Also, my Silver Sky had a really bad grounding issue. It was humming all the time when you didn't touch the neck, and did these clicks and pops every now and then. 100% rectifiable, but a lot of people had/have that as well. I have an LSL Saticoy that's great, and it's 100% vintage by design without any modern tricks, and it doesn't have this problem.

Also, the plastic pickup selector switches break, but that's an easy fix, PRS will send you a replacement.

Anyway, lovely guitar with a great neck, but for me the sound wasn't exactly what I was looking for and a couple of these irritating problems led me to sell it.

Ok thanks. Hope they address these issues. Shouldn’t happen in that price range. Anyway, have to check one out myself one day.

How is the Silver Sky soundwise compared to say a USA Fender strat? Curious about that guitar. The reviews are a bit mixed I think
I tried one when I was strat shopping a while ago, didn't like it. Quality instrument, but I didn't think it sounded right. Many strat lovers dig em though.

Got a used EJ strat with the bound rosewood fretboard, really like it. Have some gripes, but it just really works for me.

I tried one when I was strat shopping a while ago, didn't like it. Quality instrument, but I didn't think it sounded right. Many strat lovers dig em though.

Got a used EJ strat with the bound rosewood fretboard, really like it. Have some gripes, but it just really works for me.
Yeah, it's a great guitar but the sound just didn't speak to me either!

P.S. I had an EJ strat for a couple of weeks, but I really couldn't play it because the frets were so damn low! It almost had the vintage Gibson "no-fret"-thing going on. Fantastic and beautiful guitar otherwise.
And on the same token, I had a 2016 Fender American Elite Strat. Beautiful as heck, but the whole instrument sounded tinny + the fretboard would always get kind of sticky. I've had many maple boards that were great, but that one was just kinda sticky. And no matter what I did, it always fell out of tune rather easily.

Shopping for a great Strat is hard :laughing:

Conversely, I am really liking my Silver Sky (I've had it for a week). If I have one gripe, the tone rolls off very quickly when I roll the volume back; even at 9 there's a significant lowering of the tone. I believe John has his volume knob rolled off fairly often so perhaps he dials things in around that.

I've been supporting John Mayer on the Axe-Fx III since 2019. You may have noticed the unit with him during live appearances since then. Now he has graciously decided to appear on our web site in the Featured Artists section. This was prompted by some nice quotes that he recently provided to Guitar World about having used the Axe-Fx III on his new album Sob Rock. We're honored that he continues to be inspired by the unit!

Replaced the static image with a video of a song from the new album where the Axe-Fx was used.

Welcome JM!🎵🎶🎸

Very nice Last Train Home version, I just love the guitar tone, dunno if it is the Axe of some real amp though

Yeah, it could really be that, also he has those racks facing him, so you never know but anyway, fantastic tone, delicate chorus, beautiful.

Does he have an FM3 also ?...just so good to be able to tell my friends that this great musician uses the same unit as I do haha ! (no, never mind of course).

Congrats to FAS for this asset and to John Mayer for acquiring world's best unit.

Back
Top Bottom