Welcome John Mayer

Hah thanks! Credit to @BBW for the rig photo that was repurposed for this abomination
Mine finally arrived last Friday, straight into a new SKB shallow case.
3wVk4ez.jpg

Yeah, I tried that as well. Delay or Filtering works but it hard to get that resonance right.
I remember the other issue with delay based versions of this. The arpeggio changes depending on what notes/chords you are playing. The Adrenaline does do that. It just plays the same arpeggio in the same key.

Not that I know of. He's got a mystery Dumble on a 2x12 and some pedals and a rack. He's playing the Silver Sky pretty much all the time though -- a big change from the 594 and the Eagle on previous tours.

Edit: Well he's playing the fancy, new 3-PU guitar tonight!

View attachment 87602

And the amp is 100% a Steel String Singer.
The amp is a Dumbleland Overdrive Special, if you look closely at this picture here:
https://www.nippertown.com/zeblog/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/20210827-Dead_And_Co-17.jpg1630237266174.jpeg

The amp is a Dumbleland Overdrive Special, if you look closely at this picture here:
https://www.nippertown.com/zeblog/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/20210827-Dead_And_Co-17.jpgView attachment 87768

Amp: Dumble "Dumbleland" Overdrive Special, serial 006 with a 1x12 Dumble cab loaded with an EVM12L speaker. The cab has a couple of "extensions" to add support to the head.
The cab is mic'ed with a Sennheiser MD421, a Sennheiser e906 and a Shure KSM313.

Will need to revisit my IR choices in the morning.

Impressed by the mic choice on the cab - but I guess you can expect good mics on a great amp. interesting placements too.

I've been supporting John Mayer on the Axe-Fx III since 2019. You may have noticed the unit with him during live appearances since then. Now he has graciously decided to appear on our web site in the Featured Artists section. This was prompted by some nice quotes that he recently provided to Guitar World about having used the Axe-Fx III on his new album Sob Rock. We're honored that he continues to be inspired by the unit!

Replaced the static image with a video of a song from the new album where the Axe-Fx was used.

Great news Matt!

And be able to play any chord progression in any key, with out it affecting the melody?

Now, having utterly butchered the playing here (and out of tune at that) I did at least dial in the sequencer-flange like so (same preset with less gainy amp settings):

https://www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/SequeLinn.mp3
Ahhh, that has potential. It has that has some of the resonance going on. It just needs to sustain itself (which should be easy enough to accomplish). The Arenalinn sequence is actually completely separate from what you play. That is why I went down the filter road you can get a oscillation going completely independent of what you are playing. I wonder if combining the two techniques may work, Get a filter oscillation for the key and the flanger for the sequence?

Well. There are the dial settings demystified. :)

1630625471427.png

I gigged the updated, ODS Clean-based, As/Is preset with the Silver Sky last night and it was freaking great. I need to work on the drive sounds. They were darker, live, and keep getting lost in the mix. But the base clean tone is fantastic now.

I gigged the updated, ODS Clean-based, As/Is preset with the Silver Sky last night and it was freaking great.

How is the Silver Sky soundwise compared to say a USA Fender strat? Curious about that guitar. The reviews are a bit mixed I think

How is the Silver Sky soundwise compared to say a USA Fender strat? Curious about that guitar. The reviews are a bit mixed I think
I had one, but sold it.
I love the crisp highs on a Strat. The Silver Sky does away with them - it's like it has a brick-wall low-pass filter on the very high chimy register. Very useful in a live band mix and pleasing to many ears, but I just love to have the chimy top end intact. Also, the pickups are super hot when compared to other strats. Oddly enough, they didn't feel as dynamic as some pickups. Feels odd to describe but it's like it was constantly feeding out a more even, kinda compressed signal than a normal strat with a lot of dynamic range. I know my technical terminology sucks here and might be totally wrong, but that's what it felt for me, haha.

Also, my Silver Sky had a really bad grounding issue. It was humming all the time when you didn't touch the neck, and did these clicks and pops every now and then. 100% rectifiable, but a lot of people had/have that as well. I have an LSL Saticoy that's great, and it's 100% vintage by design without any modern tricks, and it doesn't have this problem.

Also, the plastic pickup selector switches break, but that's an easy fix, PRS will send you a replacement.

Anyway, lovely guitar with a great neck, but for me the sound wasn't exactly what I was looking for and a couple of these irritating problems led me to sell it.

Will need to revisit my IR choices in the morning.

I made a Rumble mix which sounds really freakin' great. It's clear, into-your-face and bold, and lets the characteristics of each amp shine through. Works great with cleans, great with higher gain, great through studio monitors, great through floor monitors... It uses IRs from FAS / @austinbuddy 's Boutique pack.

I made a Rumble mix which sounds really freakin' great. It's clear, into-your-face and bold, and lets the characteristics of each amp shine through. Works great with cleans, great with higher gain, great through studio monitors, great through floor monitors... It uses IRs from FAS / @austinbuddy 's Boutique pack.
I’m using the factory RW 1x12 EV with a Rumble 4x12 IR mixed in lower. Once I push the preset let’s compare mixes?

Reactions: yek
Back
Top Bottom