Welcome John Mayer

Gotta say, am digging John's Wild Blue song. It's got an 80's pop feel similar to Knopfler's, but with John's own style. Could listen to this all afternoon...

Gotta say, am digging John's Wild Blue song. It's got an 80's pop feel similar to Knopfler's, but with John's own style. Could listen to this all afternoon...
Yea, the new album is a real concept album. He took the sounds of the 80s he loved and put his own spin on them in his own songs. Very nicely done.

The Atmos mix is live on Apple Music again and works very well IMHO.

Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 11.15.46 AM.png

Yea, the new album is a real concept album. He took the sounds of the 80s he loved and put his own spin on them in his own songs. Very nicely done.

View attachment 87083
Yup, the overt tonal and stylistic lifts are obviously lovingly done…the Knopfler bits were particularly on the mark.

View attachment 87083
Killer Album.
Yeah, I’m loving the lossless Atmos.
I just downloaded all my current favorite music in Atmos. If you don’t, your cell phone bill will triple 😂

No, it doesn't carry any weight. You are a very lone voice in disliking the Silver Sky. Mine is the best Strat I've ever had.

Don't derail.
Sorry to get further off base, but I keep looking at the Silver Sky and I'd buy it in a moment if that neck radius didn't bother me so much. I have a Fender reissue of a '52 Tele with a radius like that and I feel like I'm fighting the neck whenever I play it. I guess my question is this -- does the Silver Sky play like an old Tele?

Sorry to get further off base, but I keep looking at the Silver Sky and I'd buy it in a moment if that neck radius didn't bother me so much. I have a Fender reissue of a '52 Tele with a radius like that and I feel like I'm fighting the neck whenever I play it. I guess my question is this -- does the Silver Sky play like an old Tele?
Nope.

But your best bet is try before you buy one. Find a place that has a decent return policy so you can give one a proper test drive.

When John first came on the scene I thought he was really good - good songs, cool style but when I saw him playing guitar I was like "holy crap" - LOVE his playing and feel. Pretty cool that's he's a member of the Fractal family!

Not a huge fan of his solo work. I was skeptical when he got on board with Dead and Company. That gig is a wonderland for a guy like Mayer. He won me over with his improvisational chops and just chops period. I have seen DeadCo many times and haven't seen him use the Silver Sky. Played a Strat a few times. Mostly uses that Super Eagle, which gets a ton of tones and sounds really good. Also uses another PRS with 2 humbuckers that has more balls for some songs.

It's not just his chops. His playing with that band is so totally appropriate, but still fresh, and super musical. Would never have picked him out of a hat for that gig, but I gotta say, he's really done right by it from what I've heard.
It took him a year to really figure out how to fit in. And, as a testament to his dedication to the craft, he clearly took feedback from Bobby and the boys and studied hard to understand how to play with such a big band and fit into the vibe and the songs correctly. That complete commitment to finding the right place to be in genre he tackles is amazing. If you told me he has a guitar in hands 24/7 I'd believe you.

Hello John! HUGE fan! Welcome!

I was flipping through my personal bank this morning and came across a preset called Heavier Things. It was a really nice, full Twin Reverb tone. No scenes. Sounded fantastic with my Silver Sky. I think I had intended to try and figure out the rhythmic phaser stuff for Bigger Than My Body with this preset but I got distracted doing other things.

Well, a few hours later and that really nice Twin tone became the base for a big, old John Mayer tone preset. I give you: [iaresee] As/Is!

https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=9093

Loads of ¡whaaapoosh! to go around on this one. A bunch of tones not based on anything super specific. It was dialed in with a Silver Sky while I monitored, pretty loud, on my XiTone MBritt with the back panel off. Might sound a little thin on a non-XiTone rig -- that thing tends to be bass-heavy in my experience.

Enjoy!

(Sorry, I didn't get to dissecting that Bigger Than My Body Adrena-Linn sound. Maybe some other day...)

Last edited:
Loads of ¡whaaapoosh! to go around on this one. A bunch of tones not based on anything super specific. It was dialed in with a Silver Sky while I monitored, pretty loud, on my XiTone MBritt with the back panel off. Might sound a little thin on a non-XiTone rig -- that thing tends to be bass-heavy in my experience.
It's sweet, thanks!

Hello John! HUGE fan! Welcome!

I was flipping through my personal bank this morning and came across a preset called Heavier Things. It was a really nice, full Twin Reverb tone. No scenes. Sounded fantastic with my Silver Sky. I think I had intended to try and figure out the rhythmic phaser stuff for Bigger Than My Body with this preset but I got distracted doing other things.

Well, a few hours later and that really nice Twin tone became the base for a big, old John Mayer tone preset. I give you: [iaresee] As/Is!

https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=9093

Enjoy!

(Sorry, I didn't get to dissecting that Bigger Than My Body Adrena-Linn sound. Maybe some other day...)
I just re-did the preset this morning with the ODS Clean model and...oh baby. It's real, real, real good.

Listening to the new album this morning on a dog walk. That opener is just all 80s Clapton for me... "August" and "Behind the Sun"

Would love to hear Mayer cover "Hold On" ... great Phil Collins drumming on that one too.

Back
Top Bottom