Welcome John Mayer

I've personally been supporting John Mayer on the Axe-Fx III since 2019. You may have noticed the unit with him during live appearances. Now he has graciously decided to appear on our web site in the Featured Artists section. This was prompted by some nice quotes that he recently provided to Guitar World about having used the Axe-Fx III on his new album Sob Rock. We're honored that he continues to be inspired by the unit!

View attachment 87015
Awesome! Welcome John! Your work is inspiring and such a pleasure! Watching your career has been wonderful!

So chuffed to hear this news! John Mayer is one of my favourite musicians/guitarists/song writers.

Congrats Fractal, you guys are dedicated to getting the best tone we can imagine and this is a great testament to it!

BTW, at the Guitar World article he has revealed one of the advantages of the Axe-FX III over the dumbles

"When asked about the variety of tube amps he paired with his new-look Roxy Pink PRS Silver Sky, Mayer responded, “We used different amps all the time, and the amps are tricky for me – I think the same amp sounds different on two different days"

That cannot happen with the Axe-FX and Admin M@'s assistance :D

Last edited:
BTW, at the Guitar World article he has revealed one of the advantages of the Axe-FX III over the dumbles

"When asked about the variety of tube amps he paired with his new-look Roxy Pink PRS Silver Sky, Mayer responded, “We used different amps all the time, and the amps are tricky for me – I think the same amp sounds different on two different days"

No, we have to wait for new firmware updates
for that to happen! 😂

I absolutely agree with his assessment as do most of you I'm sure. Tube amps can be finicky beasts and sound different based on temperature, how long they have been on, heat soak of the components etc. The only excuse I can have with the Axe is I may have been sleep-deprived when I set up a preset and that's why it sounds stinky the next day. Can't blame the gear anymore.

Very cool. Been listening to the new album a lot since my 3 month old baby seems to really dig it. Some great songs and playing on the record, but “All I want is to be with you” is my favorite. The solos at the end are awesome. Wonder if that is the Axe?

Very cool. Been listening to the new album a lot since my 3 month old baby seems to really dig it. Some great songs and playing on the record, but “All I want is to be with you” is my favorite. The solos at the end are awesome. Wonder if that is the Axe?

"As for when exactly the Fractal cropped up, Mayer utilized the amp modeler for the fingerpicking passages on Wild Blue, and speculated he used the Studio Clean preset for the main guitar tone."

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/john-mayer-used-a-fractal-for-sob-rock

This is great news! Here’s hoping JM will unanonymously chip in here with his cogent wit and wisdom, and more importantly, that he will allow Cliff to model his STEEL STRING SINGER ….and we
Sliver Sky users and all of us will rejoice!
It will be psychedelic to see a III on a Dead stage, if they ever tour again…………
+11111 on the Steel Singer ;-)

Dead Co tour starts on the 16th... I'm wondering if he's gonna bring the Axe along too.

Back
Top Bottom