Weird trivia moment

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
This morning I was listening to the Steven Wilson album The Raven That Refused to Sing.

I noted (not for the first time) how much I really liked the opening bass line from the opening track, Luminol.

I decided that I should really find out who was the bassist on the album, since I didn't recall.

I just discovered that it was a fellow named Nick Beggs...

Who just so happens to be originally from the band Kajagoogoo.

Random... And I would have never guessed that ;)

<Scurries to Apple Music...>

But I'm too shy.

Edit: Weirder still. The actress who played the waitress in the video later married Dennis Miller. Woo.

While were in the rabbit hole...

If you haven't checked out Steven Wilson's remix of classic albums, you may want to - especially if it's an album you like. Two of my all-time favorites, Yes "Fragile" and Tull's "Aqualung" are pretty impressive. His reworking is not subtle. You'll hear the difference immediately. I just picked up Chicago (II) and expect great things. The original was full of great songs that were poorly mixed or recorded. Hopefully, SW's magic is strong on this one.

I still remember cruzin in my VW bus with my lady in the front seat. We loved blasting Fragile through the Radio Shack speakers I installed. Dream on, on to the heart of the sunrise. Sharp, distance...

As soon as you said Kajagoogoo the first thing that popped into my head was the bassline from Too Shy. . . which I immediately had to listen to. I was into all that 80's alternative, so it was a nice trip down memory lane.
Dude seems to have a command of the bass. . .

It seems to be Yes day on the forum! ;-). I have a couple of the remixes and dig them. I didn't know he did Chicago II...

Hard to picture the guy in the Kajagoogoo video playing w/ SW but that was just a fashion thing back then. And yea, I was into all that stuff too.

It seems to be Yes day on the forum! ;-). I have a couple of the remixes and dig them. I didn't know he did Chicago II...

Hard to picture the guy in the Kajagoogoo video playing w/ SW but that was just a fashion thing back then. And yea, I was into all that stuff too.

It's pretty commonly discussed in audio circles that somewhere along the way, the drums and were mangled on the original mix of Chicago (II). I picked up the vinyl of the SW remix - and a bottle of "The Murray" a 12 year old Scotch from a client... The weekend is looking good!

Back
Top Bottom