Weird thing happened with my LF+ JR+

vaultnaemsae

Inspired
Last week I was working with my LF+JR+ when something weird happened. My unit was working fine. I was prompted that updated editor software and firmware was available and went ahead and installed both. Immediately after my update, both my expression pedals went haywire - pedal 2 switched it's CC# to that of the 1st pedal and started transmitting data randomly. Then both stopped working entirely. I assumed it was a hardware failure and started testing to try and rule out issues with the pedals and LF etc. I finally concluded that the cables were dead...and while not completely dead at first certainly dead by the end of testing. I had two SoulPress mini exp pedals connected to the LF+JR+ Exp Ports 1 & 2.

Can anybody theorize as to how two TRS cables simultaneously die while connected to the LF? If it were one cable only, I would put it down to simply a faulty cable...bad luck. But two cables simultaneously? I can't even imagine what could kill them. I'm really careful with my gear. I've replaced the cables and all is working fine now which is great....but, why did this happen?

I have been in contact with FAMC support and while they are typically very helpful I am not really satisfied with their response this time. Although I'm not really sure what they could do without inspecting the unit firsthand.

A more plausible explanation (besides mysterious identical failures in two separate cables) is that your firmware update changed something that required you to make a programming change on the LF+. Review the release notes, starting with the version that you were running before the upgrade; see whether there's mention of a change in the way the external buttons work. (The release notes are cumulative, so you only need to consult that one file.

If that doesn't provide a useful clue, just try reprogramming the buttons.

As a last resort, roll the firmware back to the version you were using before the upgrade, then restore your programming from the backup that matches the older firmware version.

Last edited:
Appreciate your input. The problem was solved with cable changes. These same TRS cables don't work on any other device now so seems fair to assume it was them causing the problem. IN the meantime I've moved up to V5.00 on the LF+ now and not going back unless there is another problem (there have been a couple) but everything seems to be working correctly now.

Back
Top Bottom