Weird sound when palm muting

Kasen

Hi, I've searched around and couldn't find anyone else talking about the sound I am hearing when I palm mute. I have an xl+ running firmware 19
When I palm mute a single string or power chord, there is a weird phase-like sound that occurs when the notes are about to stop ringing out.
I've only owned small solid state amps, so I don't know if this is normal for tube amps and the axe fx is just emulating it, or if this is just something it does on its own and I have to learn to deal with.

I get this or worse with too much base, imho there is never too much gain, see mark day and guitar jon

Not too much gain (although that sounds like a lot), just cut the bass BEFORE the gain. If it's a little thin because of it, add some back in with the Depth control, or the Amp's GEQ set to post-preamp.

Cutting the bass didn't really do anything, but I lowered the amp drive and put an OD in front to get the same sound (still dialing in my tone though) and it lessened it.
Thanks for the replies!

That's what amps do.

Cliff was actually being nice, it's what amps do when you have poor technique...... I use to get that a lot, but now I know how to eliminate it by not only much better technique, but using the eq to eliminate any little bit that could be left...Try to find a guitar instructor that can help you reduce string noise and improve your palm muting eliminating "poopy palm muting technique" Ect....

Just went and tried to duplicate this. The only way I could find to make that same noise was to mute way closer to the bridge than I usually do. Either use more of your palm or move closer to the neck; either one stopped it for me.

In case you cranked up gain to get a bigger tone there's a way around it. Turn the gain lower and add lows after the gain stage ( the eq in the amp block or an eq block after the amp block).
There might be a balance where the gain isn't too low so you don't have to fight for every note but low enough to allow some clarity, just as much as you want it. When you have the right amount of gain in that regard there are still enough tools to taylor the fullness by using eq blocks or some parameters like depth or dynamic depth.

Last edited:
Check if the strings are to close to the fretboard, raise the bridge a little bit. Buzzing (pressed) strings are one of the most reasons for weird sounds when ringing out.

Check if the strings are to close to the fretboard, raise the bridge a little bit. Buzzing (pressed) strings are one of the most reasons for weird sounds when ringing out.

Or, get the instrument properly set up so you don't have to tolerate high action. Even the highest-quality necks I've dealt with require some amount of attention. There are almost always a few frets that are a little proud. It only takes a thousandth or two to get you some funny overtones at best, or outright buzzing at worst. A good setup often costs less than $150, and it's money well-spent. In the grand scheme of things, that's nothing, especially if you're paying exorbitant name-brand prices.

It sounds as if you don't like the sound it's making regardless of realism....

Setting the Dynamic Depth to something other than 0 helped my sound.

Try all of the parameters in the amp block, you should be able to sort it out man.

Cutting the bass didn't really do anything, but I lowered the amp drive and put an OD in front to get the same sound (still dialing in my tone though) and it lessened it.

Cheers to you for trying this. What you replicated is actually good "new user" knowledge. If you can't get the tonal qualities you're seeking (or the droids you're looking for), then try a different approach. The amp/cab sims may not give you the sonic quality you were originally intending. But if you dial down the gain on the amp and throw a pedal in front to simulate the same thing then boo ya, keep using that method.

Honestly I feel that too many people (not necessarily you) approach the AFX grid too traditionally sometimes as amp purists then have heightened expectations of how they respond and how they are sonically represented. In reality, how many times have you turned a Fender Twin Reverb up to 10 with the gain up to 10 and reverb up to 10. Good luck with hearing in the future. With all that said, there are many ways to accomplish the tonal discoveries that you're seeking with multiple approaches. To me that's what makes the Axe-FX unique and freakin' awesome. #CarryOn.

I also believe you are basically hitting a harmonic note naturally along the string. If you listen very carefully without the axe in place you can probably still hear the this occurrence.

Yeah, that's the string ringing out. Your palm mute isn't muting enough. Try moving your hand just a hair closer to the nut.

For me it sounds just natural proving the AxeFX is replicating real behavior of tube amps. You wanted a real tube amp sound? There you have it! For me it sounds like playing technique rather than "strange" sound.

Back
Top Bottom