Weird residual buzzing on palm mutes with "Intelligent" gate.

thegoose

Running into a weird buzz after the palm mute with the "Intelligent" gate with Attack and Release at minimum settings.

Attached a video of it, switched to the classic gate in the video after without that buzz, not occurring with that one.
Occurs with most amps I use (6160+, Friedman HBE, RV50) with high gain, with a Maxoff 808 swapped with SD-1 diode amounts.

Unsure if this is a bug but it sure feels like one haha.

EDIT (again): Upon further testing, also occurs with the Noise Reducer. Only the Classic doesn't have this.

Attachments

• intelligentgatebuzz.zip
    805.4 KB · Views: 8
That buzz is the sound of the intelligent noise gate closing its door gently instead of abruptly. If you turn the noise gate all the way off, you'll hear that the buzzing is constant.

You can play around with the various parameters to reduce or eliminate the buzz.

That buzz is the sound of the intelligent noise gate closing its door gently instead of abruptly. If you turn the noise gate all the way off, you'll hear that the buzzing is constant.

You can play around with the various parameters to reduce or eliminate the buzz.
I did some more testing with that, bizarrely, from OFF to about -60db, it's fine, but increasing the threshold seems to add to the noise.

Here's a recording of what I mean, I think what I'm seeking to understand is why increasing the Threshold is adding noise, but maybe that's expected and I just might not be knowledgeable enough haha.

Thanks for the speedy reply tho!

Attachments

• intelligentgatebuzz2.zip
    783.3 KB · Views: 4
That has been a common problem for awhile. There are previous threads about it. I just tend to use the classic gate instead.

FYI there have been gate improvements in the most recent III firmware. I'd imagine they'll eventually make their way to the FM-9 in a future update.

From the AxeFX III 24.03 release notes: Improved Intelligent and Noise Reducer gate types in Input block. This eliminates the slight squeaking sound as the gate releases when using aggressive settings.

FYI there have been gate improvements in the most recent III firmware. I'd imagine they'll eventually make their way to the FM-9 in a future update.

From the AxeFX III 24.03 release notes: Improved Intelligent and Noise Reducer gate types in Input block. This eliminates the slight squeaking sound as the gate releases when using aggressive settings.
I shall be patient 🙏

I did some more testing with that, bizarrely, from OFF to about -60db, it's fine, but increasing the threshold seems to add to the noise.

Here's a recording of what I mean, I think what I'm seeking to understand is why increasing the Threshold is adding noise, but maybe that's expected and I just might not be knowledgeable enough haha.

Thanks for the speedy reply tho!
Forgive me if I get this wrong...you do know that increasing the threshold means heading towards positive numbers (for example, an increasing number means from -60 to -45 dB, not increasingly negative).

Yeah, higher (more positive-leaning) thresholds will clamp down on noise more quickly, but will also reduce your dynamic range and sustain.

I usually prefer -55 dB on most all of my presets, but IIRC, you've got some high gain amps that are heavily distorted. If you don't need long sustain, you could try -45 dB and adjust to what you prefer from there...your volume will make up for the sustain difference and naturally feedback into itself...

Forgive me if I get this wrong...you do know that increasing the threshold means heading towards positive numbers (for example, an increasing number means from -60 to -45 dB, not increasingly negative).

Yeah, higher (more positive-leaning) thresholds will clamp down on noise more quickly, but will also reduce your dynamic range and sustain.

I usually prefer -55 dB on most all of my presets, but IIRC, you've got some high gain amps that are heavily distorted. If you don't need long sustain, you could try -45 dB and adjust to what you prefer from there...your volume will make up for the sustain difference and naturally feedback into itself...
The issue I'm speaking of is unrelated to dynamics and clamp, more that the clamp after a certain threshold is adding noise as it is clamping from a palm mute.

So, lower threshold = more noise idle, higher threshold less noise, but the higher threshold is causing that weird buzzing as it is reducing the noise.

Back
Top Bottom