Bug? Weird problem with tonematch exports

simeon

Axe-Master
ok, so i noticed that the cab block i was using in my acoustic patch said "high" on the axe fx, not "ultra-res". it was not in italics in the cab picker in axe edit. i thought i'd made a mistake with the original, so i did another tonematch, and exported it to a user cab. sure enough, it showed up in italics in the cab picker and the cab block in the axe fx identified it as "ultra-res". all good. so then today i fire everything up and now it shows up as "high" and not in italics. weird. i'm not sure how i can troubleshoot this, so someone will have to give it a go and see if they can reproduce it for me. i've attached the tonematch export here, so maybe someone could also drop it into their axe fx and see if it shows up as ultra-res or not?

Attachments

• U001_Acoustic TM.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 3
ok, so the export is high-res.

that leaves two questions -

1) should it be?
2) why did it show up as ultra-res after export?

no. i analysed the reference and then analysed the source separately. i'm a bit cloudy on live mode, actually...

ah, there we are. the bug must me in how axe edit displays these once they're exported.

is it actually possible to do an acoustic tonematch in live mode? when the reference is a recording?

I've always used to live mode to match an under saddle piezo pickup output with a microphone + preamp.

So I am playing one guitar and tone matching the builtin pickup to a microphone signal in real time.

yes, this makes absolute sense to me, but i'm tonematching an electric with piezos, so i don't have that option. i have to match to a good recording.

I suppose if you play exactly the same thing in sync with the recording, it would be basically the same as a live tonematch. Might take a few tries to get the timing just right, and you'll probably need someone else to hit the buttons while you play along in sync with the recording.

Even when tone matching to a recording, I usually try both modes and go with the one that yielded the best results.(usually 'Off-line' mode) But before I export it, I switch it to 'Live' mode. this causes the resulting IR to be saved and processed by the Axe-Fx as an Ultra-res IR.

Also, if you made an adjustment to the 'Amount' parameter, that will not be included in the export unless you set the 'Resolution' to low. As far as know, changes in the 'Smoothing' are not included in the export at all?

Last edited:
top tip m'man, thank you! :)
I just did some more tests..........The 'Amount' and the 'Smoothing' settings are exported! But only if the 'Resolution' is set to 'Low' and the mode is set to 'Off-line'. It won't be 'Ultra-Res', But this is useful for making temporary corrective EQ 'IR's for 'series' mixes... ;)

Too bad we can't have that function while in 'Live' mode......

Back
Top Bottom