Weird phasing/flanging-like noise. Help!

Brock

Experienced
A strange noise at the end sounds like flanging or phasing, but only an amp and a cab block are active.

Says video is private. Post patch maybe?

If you're using a stereo CAB block, make sure you don't have delay on either of the cabs in the CAB block. That'll introduce comb filtering if you do.

Oops, I forgot to click the Publish button. Should be viewable now. Just in case, the preset is attached below (set the Amp and Cab to the Y blocks). I'm using the F073: 4x12 USA Trad 57-122 (ML) IR.

Last edited:
Preset seems fine. I don't think the recording is anything unusual. As a note decays the tone can change, especially with distortion.

I seem to get that too on some patches, yeah mine is also with gain. Thing is though it only comes out the speaker never when in headphone use. Can't explain sorry mate but would love to know. As reply says its only of the decay of the note too.

Thing is though it only comes out the speaker never when in headphone use.

That's feedback. Even if you're not playing loud/close enough for endless sustain, it makes some frequencies decay slower and others faster than if there were no speaker-guitar interaction.

Cheers mate, like a flange or phase swoosh as note tails off....but feedback? Flanging feedback sounds like an effect pedal yet to be invented lol am I the first?

OP: I concur. Sounds fine to me. Like very natural decay. If you're not digging the decay characteristics you add a bit of compression in the AMP block on the advanced tab. That'll change it up a bit. A little goes a long way with that parameter.

Preset seems fine. I don't think the recording is anything unusual. As a note decays the tone can change, especially with distortion.

Cliff has worked his tail off bringing us a device that decays in all kinds of awesome and real ways like this! :D

It's been quite a while since I've played through a real amp, so I'm not sure - do amps with gain have those sorts of artifacts on their decays?

I'm getting phase issues and I think it's related to Axe Edit being open and used while I'm running Pro Tools 12HD. It's the strangest thing - if I put a hardware insert(compressor) after the Axe, which is also an insert and being reamped, I sometimes get an out of phase sound. If I then shut everything down and restart without using Axe Edit with everything else being the same the phase issue is fixed. Is there any info on running PT simultaneously with Axe Edit causing problems?

Nope. Axe-Edit doesn't do audio at all, so it can't cause phase issues.

Back
Top Bottom