Weird peaking issues with Mesa amp but not Marshall

Matthew Freeman

I bought the fx8 unit and set it up with a Mesa single 50 watt rectifier. I started noticing I could only use multi delay delays and not regular delays with it peaking and making a loud obnoxious glitching sound that would continue until i disabled the delay so I used multi delays at a low mix percentage as it was the only way to avoid to stutter glitching sound. I didnt think too much of it...just thought it was a digital fx8 thing so I worked around it. Then I got a second amp a Marshall duel super lead and used the exact same setting and when I used the standard delays I never ran into these glitch issues. Any idea what's happening and how I fix this so my mesa doesn't do this?

It’s the parallel loop itself. Mesa’s parallel loop on the rectifier series doesn’t allow for the killing of the dry signal, even when the mix knob is at 100%. There are decent vids online on modding it to a series fx loop, or you can take it to your amp tech and they can do it for you. It’s fast and easy (not that I trusted myself to do it.)

It’s the parallel loop itself. Mesa’s parallel loop on the rectifier series doesn’t allow for the killing of the dry signal, even when the mix knob is at 100%. There are decent vids online on modding it to a series fx loop, or you can take it to your amp tech and they can do it for you. It’s fast and easy (not that I trusted myself to do it.)
Can you maybe explain in more detail how this works and why my Mesa does this? I wouldn't object at all in getting this mod, I just want to try and grasp this first.

This is ripped from Soldano's website:

"A series loop interrupts the signal path between the preamp and the power amp and inserts the effect processor signal into that path...It’s basically a one-lane road going from one place to another...A parallel loop offers two paths from the preamp to the power amp. One path is a direct connection from the preamp to the power amp as if the amp had no loop at all. The other path sends the preamp signal to the effect processor (via the loop) and then routes it back to the power amp, mixing it with the direct (dry) signal.

A parallel effect loop is a good thing and the ability to be able to adjust the mix is nice. However, they don’t work well if you are using effects that change the volume of the signal (such as tremolo, compression, or noise gates), or when mixing the wet and dry signals causes an out of phase situation. Technically, if you turn the mix to 100% in a parallel effect loop, it should operate exactly like a series loop, although this is not the case with all amplifiers on the market."

I have a Recto Recording Preamp, which has the parallel fx loop and had the same problem. In the manual, Mesa stated that they purposefully do not allow for the dry signal to be eliminated with the mix knob, but I don't remember their reasoning or if they even provided one. I didn't have to get the mod since I ended up just putting the post effects from the FX8 between my Recto preamp and my Rectifier poweramp.

Ok thanks.
This is ripped from Soldano's website:

"A series loop interrupts the signal path between the preamp and the power amp and inserts the effect processor signal into that path...It’s basically a one-lane road going from one place to another...A parallel loop offers two paths from the preamp to the power amp. One path is a direct connection from the preamp to the power amp as if the amp had no loop at all. The other path sends the preamp signal to the effect processor (via the loop) and then routes it back to the power amp, mixing it with the direct (dry) signal.

A parallel effect loop is a good thing and the ability to be able to adjust the mix is nice. However, they don’t work well if you are using effects that change the volume of the signal (such as tremolo, compression, or noise gates), or when mixing the wet and dry signals causes an out of phase situation. Technically, if you turn the mix to 100% in a parallel effect loop, it should operate exactly like a series loop, although this is not the case with all amplifiers on the market."

I have a Recto Recording Preamp, which has the parallel fx loop and had the same problem. In the manual, Mesa stated that they purposefully do not allow for the dry signal to be eliminated with the mix knob, but I don't remember their reasoning or if they even provided one. I didn't have to get the mod since I ended up just putting the post effects from the FX8 between my Recto preamp and my Rectifier poweramp.
Ok thanks. Would you say the mod would be safe and solve this issue?

Back
Top Bottom