Weird issue after update to Big Sur

Joe Bfstplk

Legend!
I have an aggregate device set up to use Scarlett 18i8 USB and Axe-Fx III together for recording.

Since the Big Sur update, none of the web browsers I have installed will play audio or video. The audio or video in the browser just sits there like it's paused and refuses to play. The progress bar or time display don't move. As soon as I click the checkbox off on Axe-Fx III in the aggregate device, the audio or video will start playing, and if I click it back on again, it stops again.

Weird stuff. Anyone else have issues with that? I doubt it's the Axe-Fx III so much as it is some weirdness with the updated OS.

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), 2.3 GHz 8-core Intel i9, 16GB ram.

I have an aggregate device set up to use Scarlett 18i8 USB and Axe-Fx III together for recording.

Since the Big Sur update, none of the web browsers I have installed will play audio or video. The audio or video in the browser just sits there like it's paused and refuses to play. The progress bar or time display don't move. As soon as I click the checkbox off on Axe-Fx III in the aggregate device, the audio or video will start playing, and if I click it back on again, it stops again.

Weird stuff. Anyone else have issues with that? I doubt it's the Axe-Fx III so much as it is some weirdness with the updated OS.

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), 2.3 GHz 8-core Intel i9, 16GB ram.
...aaaaaaaand, a reboot seems to have fixed it. southpark_and_it's_gone.jpg

Next time, check the sample rate.
48k. First thing I checked, actually. I have noticed that the aggregate device doesn't handle the turning on/off of the Axe-Fx III very gracefully, either. I end up having to uncheck the one it remembered from the last time it was on, and select the other Axe-Fx III listed at the bottom of the list. Weird that it wouldn't even let the audio/video play at all. It didn't just play silently. It just sat there as if paused.

Ah well, reboot seems to have fixed that. Should have tried that first, I guess. Also noticed that Siri doesn't seem to be able to figure out how to listen the built-in mic in the Macbook through the aggregate interface. Not a huge loss, as I rarely use Siri, but it starts to outline a possible weirdness with the audio handling in Big Sur....

Sometimes another app will grab the audio and change the sample rate. Safari, esp. playing YouTube, iTunes, QuickTime are culprits.

hammerd_small.gif.cf.gif

I had similar issues while using a USB interface for selected multi-channel output. This may not be the same issue you're experiencing but it's worth noting. The fix is to go to Audio Midi Setup in Mac (usually in "others" folder in Launchpad, but also searchable), and click on your device, and then "Configure Speakers". That allows you to choose the channels for your output.

I havent updated yet so this thread is helpful!

Until someone comes in my house and holds a gun to my head, I’m not updating. There’s nothing contained within an update that is going to make my life easier, they really just do the complete opposite, leaving you with a headache and no noticeable changes anywhere else. No thanks!

48k. First thing I checked, actually. I have noticed that the aggregate device doesn't handle the turning on/off of the Axe-Fx III very gracefully, either. I end up having to uncheck the one it remembered from the last time it was on, and select the other Axe-Fx III listed at the bottom of the list. Weird that it wouldn't even let the audio/video play at all. It didn't just play silently. It just sat there as if paused.

Ah well, reboot seems to have fixed that. Should have tried that first, I guess. Also noticed that Siri doesn't seem to be able to figure out how to listen the built-in mic in the Macbook through the aggregate interface. Not a huge loss, as I rarely use Siri, but it starts to outline a possible weirdness with the audio handling in Big Sur....
When you use other sound devices, doesn’t that kill the built-in mic?

When you use other sound devices, doesn’t that kill the built-in mic?
Depends. You can add the built-in mic and speakers to the aggregate device. It appears Siri does not know how to access the mic that way, though. Likely the developers made an assumption when they coded it, instead of allowing the end user to choose the audio source....

FWIW, I've seen this same exact behavior from time to time on Catalina, so I don't think it just a Big Sur issue.
Never had this audio/video player blocking issue in Catalina. Had to drop and re-add the Axe-Fx III to the aggregate audio device fairly often, but never had an issue with it stopping the browsers from even trying to play media that involved sound.

Last edited:
Off topic but I’d still love for the axe fx 3 volume to be able to be controlled from my apple
Keyboard like my rme baby face pro fs

Had to drop and re-add the Axe-Fx III to the aggregate audio device fairly often, but never had an issue with it stopping the browsers from even trying to play media that involved sound.
Very much my experience as well of having to drop and re-add the Axe-FX III in the aggregate device every now and again (I sometimes wonder if it has to do with the order I unplug or plug the USB devices in, but can't ever get it to reproduce reliably). The play bar control not working in iTunes or other apps has happened maybe 2 or 3 times in the past 7-8 months that I've been using an aggregate device, not been a common occurrence for me, seems a reboot always sorts it, but it is very strange.

FWIW, all of this just reminded me of seeing a post from Cliff awhile back about a beta USB Firmware, just dug that up here...

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/macos-catalina-core-audio-issue.164422/post-1983965

... unclear from the thread if that beta USB firmware will make aggregate devices more reliable (or if that's even the issue being addressed with it), but might be worth a shot?

Back
Top Bottom