Weird bpm-related interference in my signal

Ztla

Hi guys, maybe you know what's going on here?

So I always have my axe II connected to the usb port on my PC. I've always had this rotor-esque noise thing going that's audible on the more distortion heavy sounds but I just figured it was just a combination of high gain + bad electronics on my guitar and it maybe picking up my PC's fans or something but today I realized that the frequency of the noise is directly affected by the BPM set in my DAW. So now I'm wondering what's actually causing it and if there might be something that I could do to get rid of it?

I hope this is the right section of the forums to post this in as I'll doubt this has to do with an actual bug or something and maybe more with me not knowing how to operate this thing :D.

As the forum doesn't seem to let me attach videos or post links as I haven't posted here much, I'm attaching a simple .txt file containing a dropbox link to a screen recording of the issue that also shows how the frequency changes when I change the tempo in the DAW.

Attachments

• noise in my axe fx.txt
    72 bytes · Views: 3
Check your midi cable(s). I don't remember the details, as my issue occurred back in my Ultra days, but at one time I had tempo dependant noise issues and I was able to isolate it to my midi cables (between foot controller and Ultra) running tightly along one of my audio cables (can't remember if it was the guitar jack cord or the audio out from tge Ultra).

I also don't remember if I fixed it by avoiding this close proximity (which led to signal crosstalk issues) or by getting better midi cables.

Sorry for the very uncertain answer but, at least, you can try to separate your audio and midi cables to see if you have a similar issue and, if so, then you will have narrowed down the problem and can try different solutions.

Check your midi cable(s). I don't remember the details, as my issue occurred back in my Ultra days, but at one time I had tempo dependant noise issues and I was able to isolate it to my midi cables (between foot controller and Ultra) running tightly along one of my audio cables (can't remember if it was the guitar jack cord or the audio out from tge Ultra).

I also don't remember if I fixed it by avoiding this close proximity (which led to signal crosstalk issues) or by getting better midi cables.

Sorry for the very uncertain answer but, at least, you can try to separate your audio and midi cables to see if you have a similar issue and, if so, then you will have narrowed down the problem and can try different solutions.

Thanks for the help!

I'll try to see if I have other usb cables around my house at some point and if changing them makes any difference. I was thinking it prolly has something to do with some midi thing getting sent from my pc to the axe but how that translates to interference like this, I have no idea whatsoever :D. I'd prefer not having to split stuff into a separate midi and audio routes into my pc just due to it being more troublesome and me not even having any midi cables lying around but that is definitely an option yeah.

I think i know what you mean. I've had this issue as well but for me i think it was more present if i had Axe Edit up and running at same time. I'll have to check. I would get it without a DAW on and it was coming from the AXE FX tap tempo

Back
Top Bottom