Weird Axe USB audio issues with YouTube

Tiger1016

Inspired
Is anyone else having weird issues when using their Axe for USB audio with youtube videos? For example, I was in the middle of an amp demo using the headphone jack from my windows laptop and then switched on my axe to listen with my better headphone setup and the video immediately stopped being able to be played anymore. Just sits there with the spinner that also shows up when a video is loading, even though it is loaded. Turn the Axe off and the video goes back to playing just fine.

This issue has been getting progressively worse for me and has now gotten to the point of being unusable. The issue still persists after a restart. Also tried reinstalling the USB drivers. Am on FW 14.0 but had similar issues on 13.x as far as I can remember. Going to try 14.1 now and report back.

I’ve had a similar experience, even though I’m using a Mac Mini, but it seems to mostly occur for me when engaged with a live stream scenario. FYI

Have the same problem (sometimes). I just refresh the browser page and things sort themselves out.

I'm kinda conditioned now to remember to pause the YT video before turning on the AxeFX and that usually works fine too

I have the same issues. I get around this by starting the Axe before I turn on my computer. That seems to be a work around. I am using Windows 10 btw. It is hard to tell where the miscommunication between devices is occurring. Having said that, I can confirm that I can switch between two other audio interfaces without Youtube stalling or not playing sound. This could possibly be an error within your browser, to which unfortunately I can offer no help. This occurs when I am using Google Chrome. I will try to confirm whether this happens on other browsers and will report back. For now, I would suggest turning on the Axe first then your computer. I hope it fairs well for you.

+1, experienced this week. Not sure about other times, too infrequently open YouTube when Axe is on.
FW 14.01, Win10, latest FAS usb driver

Conflicting audio sample rates. Browser wants to run 44khz sample rate and Axe Fx needs 48khz
Thank you for the information. I mainly use Chrome, which unfortunately doesn't seem to have a way to change the sample rate. I'm glad that it isn't a bigger issue or one that isn't easily remedied.

It sounds reminiscent of the Core Audio issue with Logic. Usually a soft reboot should fix the issue, although it's quicker to simply unplug the Axe via USB and plug it back in. If possible, I'd recommend starting the Axe before you initiate any playback (as going back and forth between audio devices can cause interruptions and general playback errors). YouTube should tell you to restart your computer in the event that a video continues to spin. However, the issue should not persist after a restart (as the point of restarting is to reset the audio devices). Perhaps trying a different browser will help narrow down the cause. I use Chrome and still experience this from time to time. Even still, it's nothing that a simple soft reboot wouldn't fix.

Conflicting audio sample rates. Browser wants to run 44khz sample rate and Axe Fx needs 48khz
Sounds like this might help. Have been using Chrome and will look into this with a couple of different browsers if needed.

The update to 14.1 seemed to help based on very little sampling opportunities so far.

Unplugging USB and restarting did not do much to solve the problems, at least on my end when I tried this. Seemed to have the same results for with turing the Axe on before starting playback.

Hoping the 14.1 update along with looking into the sample rate mismatch will do the trick!

It sounds reminiscent of the Core Audio issue with Logic. Usually a soft reboot should fix the issue, although it's quicker to simply unplug the Axe via USB and plug it back in. If possible, I'd recommend starting the Axe before you initiate any playback (as going back and forth between audio devices can cause interruptions and general playback errors). YouTube should tell you to restart your computer in the event that a video continues to spin. However, the issue should not persist after a restart (as the point of restarting is to reset the audio devices). Perhaps trying a different browser will help narrow down the cause. I use Chrome and still experience this from time to time. Even still, it's nothing that a simple soft reboot wouldn't fix.
I just needed to reboot

I’ve been getting this issue a lot more than I ever have. I’m not sure if it’s a result of Cygnus or not. Previously, the USB audio would only disconnect if I let the mac go to sleep for a couple hours then woke it up. Now it’s disconnecting in the middle of sessions, as audio is playing. Same thing for YouTube. I just pull the USB out and plug it back in, but to have it happen daily, AS I’m recording is rather annoying.

Cliff said there was a patch or drive they made a while back to resolve this, but you had to contact support to get it. I didn’t bother because it was such a rare incident, but over the last week I’ve gotten annoyed by it.

For all Mac users:

The T2 security chip seems to cause big problems. The following models might are affected:

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/285971-apples-latest-macs-have-a-serious-usb-audio-problem

• iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020)
  • iMac Pro
  • Mac Pro (2019)
  • Mac Pro (Rack, 2019)
  • Mac mini (2018)
  • MacBook Air (Retina, 13", 2020)
  • MacBook Air (Retina, 13", 2019)
  • MacBook Air (Retina, 13", 2018)
  • MacBook Pro (13", 2020)
  • MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
  • MacBook Pro (13", 2019)
  • MacBook Pro (15", 2019)
  • MacBook Pro (15", 2018)
  • MacBook Pro (13", 2018)

So far, I talked to two customers who encountered that weird YT problem.
Audio stops during commercials.
At first glance this would be a great feature, as long Audio would return after the break ;-)

In both cases I suggested to buy a Thunderbolt to USB hub.
So far, no complains.

I have several Macs here but - fortunately - none of the above.
So can't reproduce the bug here.

The M1 silicon models (Mini and Pro13) work flawless.
Also my iMac 2017 and my MacBook Pro 2013.

Knut

Is anyone else having weird issues when using their Axe for USB audio with youtube videos? For example, I was in the middle of an amp demo using the headphone jack from my windows laptop and then switched on my axe to listen with my better headphone setup and the video immediately stopped being able to be played anymore. Just sits there with the spinner that also shows up when a video is loading, even though it is loaded. Turn the Axe off and the video goes back to playing just fine.

This issue has been getting progressively worse for me and has now gotten to the point of being unusable. The issue still persists after a restart. Also tried reinstalling the USB drivers. Am on FW 14.0 but had similar issues on 13.x as far as I can remember. Going to try 14.1 now and report back.
this happens to me if i switch audio devices. unplug the usb for the axe wait for it to boot before plugging it back in. fixed the issue for me

For all Mac users:

The T2 security chip seems to cause big problems. The following models might are affected:

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/285971-apples-latest-macs-have-a-serious-usb-audio-problem

• iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020)
  • iMac Pro
  • Mac Pro (2019)
  • Mac Pro (Rack, 2019)
  • Mac mini (2018)
  • MacBook Air (Retina, 13", 2020)
  • MacBook Air (Retina, 13", 2019)
  • MacBook Air (Retina, 13", 2018)
  • MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
  • MacBook Pro (15", 2019)
  • MacBook Pro (15", 2018)
  • MacBook Pro (13", 2018)
So far, I talked to two customers who encountered that weird YT problem.
Audio stops during commercials.
At first glance this would be a great feature, as long Audio would return after the break ;-)

In both cases I suggested to buy a Thunderbolt to USB hub.
So far, no complains.

I have several Macs here but - fortunately - none of the above.
So can't reproduce the bug here.

The M1 silicon models (Mini and Pro13) work flawless.
Also my iMac 2017 and my MacBook Pro 2013.

Knut

Hmm, mine’s a 2015 27” iMac and I have the issue. It’s possible it’s a 2017 and I’m not remembering right, but regardless, it’s not on that list.

Well, just a note for those users having a Mac on the list Rev :)

But there is another issue with my 2018 MacMini. As soon you use an USB device in one of the two USB A ports, Bluetooth devices lose their connection. In my case it's the Magic Keyboard. Occasionally the mouse. It seems that a connected USB devices leads to interference problems.

That also made my buy an Thunderbolt to USB hub and not using the USB A ports anymore.
On top of that, I have a rather disturbed relationship with USB ;-)

That's why I switched to Firewire long time ago and now using the RME UFX+ als audio device.
So in the last two years, I never encountered any issues with USB cause I simply don't use it for audio (Only for the editors).

So for a week or so , I now use the AXE FX3 and FM3 as audio devices here with my Macs. So far no problems.
Buti will keep an eye to it ;-).

I have a 2018 MacBook Pro and I had the same problem all I had to do was Unplug the USB Cable and it would work again.. Then Cliff mentioned a new MAC USB Beta Firmware and that fixed my issue...
Contact support and they'll send you the new MAC USB Beta Firmware. They sent it to me and it's working great...

Back
Top Bottom