Weird artifact after palm mute

Narcosis

Hey guys

I was messing around with this guitar tone the other day which is also Tone Matched and I cant for the life of me get rid of this weird noise in between palm mutes...

https://soundcloud.com/jonathonxx/weird-noise

Its really bugging me! I've tried playing with all the gates, drive pedals, and amp gain and yea im stumped

chain: gate > Drive > Amp > GraphEQ > TMA > ParaEQ

Anyone come across this sort of thing??

Last edited:
Hey guys

I was messing around with this guitar tone the other day which is also Tone Matched and I cant for the life of me get rid of this weird noise in between palm mutes...

Its really bugging me! I've tried playing with all the gates, drive pedals, and amp gain and yea im stumped

chain: gate > Drive > Amp > GraphEQ > TMA > ParaEQ

Anyone come across this sort of thing??

Yeah, I get something like this as well. It may have to do with the TMA block; Im not too sure. To compound my problem I have EM or some shit feedback so that may be part of your problem but that's pure speculation. Even when I tend to limit the EM feedback I still get a weird "gritty" sound with my tone matched patches. Sorry, I can't give you a straightforward answer.

Thats all good! I thought I would just post it up anyway...who knows maybe someone can shed some light on the matter and help both of us!

yea jonny I have tried that. Im starting to think it could possibly be my pickups...I tried a few other patches of mine and boosted the treble to hear it better and the problem is definitely there... :\

does a loose grounding wire generally behave like this? I have passive bareknuckle blackhawks

It's not your pickups. I'm having the same problem with the "Djentlemanly" patch (number 88)

I get a weird squeal for a moment after palm mutes and I'm NOT using the TMA block.

This seems to be isolated to certain high gain patches. I just figured the 10.01 would fix it, so I didn't say anything.

Last edited:
Yea dude that stuff can get on your nerves. I struggled with that for a bit but now all of my tones are wicked tight. I'm not sure if this will help in your particular case but this is what I do to get rid of the noise. First of all, I use Gruv Gear Fretwraps on the headstock/nut on all of my guitars. They are amazing! I play string through guitars and they suck at keeping things tight, but the fretwraps work wonders. Also, for all of my high gain tones, I use a Gate block in the chain AND I use the In/Gate on the Main Layout screen(tab at the top)

For the Gate block I always set the threshold at -50db, ratio:3, Attack:1.00ms, and Release at 1.00ms.

For the In/Gate tab settings I set Threshold also at about -50db, Ratio at 3, Attack at 1.00, and Release at 10.

Also, I always put the Drive block 1st in the chain, followed by the Gate Block. Might help?

Like I said, may or may not work with your particular tone but my junk stays so tight it's not even funny! Hope this helps in some way.

Jalon

can hear it on your recording.
possibly something on the guitar - if you have a tremolo (floyd rose etc) the springs can ring out like crazy for chuggy hi gain riff. many players damp the springs with some tape or whatever.
to be honest though - that doesn't sound like "spring ring", but it's worth a try to eliminate that.

Thanks for the input guys. However, my guitar is completely deadened to ring. It's a heavily modded PRS custom 24. There is foam behind the nut, under the strings and a hair band for muting when sweeping etc. The trem has been blocked with mahogany and the only string in the cavity is wrapped in foam to cut unwanted noise. The pickups are BKP's Aftermaths with custom pots and wiring from BKP's themselves. The issue is definitely NOT in the guitar, as it does the same with my other PRS models too.

I've never needed to use such heavy gating to suppress noises like this. I usually just use the GLOBAL GATE set to -70db and the ratio around 1.5 - 2 and the attack and release around 3 o' clock or there abouts, as i don't play "Djent" etc and never needed a fast gate.

Never had issue in FW 9.02 with feedback or the likes.

Hmmmm....

Have you tried using an MBC block to compress stuff under ~150Hz?

Might also be that the artifacts were captured during the TM process. Does the issue persist without the TM block?

Try muting the strings behind the nut, you can get some odd overtones that are really prevalent when palm muting. Could be that?

Had a problem with my les paul, tried everything, even replaced the nut. Didn't stop it. I used a small piece of the foam you get with EMG pickups under the strings just behind the nut. That sorted it out.

It's not your pickups. I'm having the same problem with the "Djentlemanly" patch (number 88)

I get a weird squeal for a moment after palm mutes and I'm NOT using the TMA block.

This seems to be isolated to certain high gain patches. I just figured the 10.01 would fix it, so I didn't say anything.

That is actually a problem with the noise gate settings. You might want to start there. Sometimes, with really high gain patches, I end up using a noise gate between the amp and cab and it makes everything happy. Especially for muted sequences.

-Nate

Other than technique, you might also, in addition to the above suggestions, check you compressor settings. They can squeeze frequencies together; brings the lows up you didn't think we're there, or squeeze highs. Compression is an art and often not really necessary for high gain, since high gain is compressed already.

Like nateb said, check you noise gate. It sounds like your noise gate kicking in after the sound drops out. Turn off the gate, and see what it sounds like.

Guys, this is a guitar-related problem, not an Axe-Fx related one. Plug into a high-gain amp with the same guitar. Guarantee you'll hear the same thing. It's either your springs, your strings, or pickup squeal/interference.

I would be inclined to agree, however, My Uberschall and Roadking don't have this problem, even without a noise gate....

Thank you Cliff. You nailed it.

It had not occurred to me that it was a feedback issue, as usually such issues are really apparent. I moved away from the speakers and it went. Just like that.

I feel like such a noob, right now. :eek:ops

Hey guys

<Was referring to this first post with my previous comment.
Not sure what the problem with this one is (a subtle anomaly, but clearly there when monitored with headphones); as mentioned - it's worth a try taping up the tremolo springs (if present) to see if that helps.

Thank you Cliff. You nailed it.

It had not occurred to me that it was a feedback issue, as usually such issues are really apparent. I moved away from the speakers and it went. Just like that.

I feel like such a noob, right now. :eek:ops

Probably a good thing for the Wiki. This is a phenomenon unique to FRFR solutions.

Back
Top Bottom