Bug? Weird activity on Ax8

Dendrite

Inspired
So last night I was dialing in a new song. All was well, saved it. Then decided to hear how it would sound on a fractal preset. So I switched via AxEdit to Bank 1, Preset 1 (Double Verb if memory serves), unaltered from its original, which I've never had an issue with.
Once switched, I hit a note and heard a weird irregularity in the tone. It was like someone was tapping a momentary mute every half second or so. Just a little chirp of signal dropout that would resolve just as quickly. AxEdit was fine and connected. Guitar was plugged in firmly. Finally looked at the Ax8 and the screen was rapidly cycling. Really too fast to see clearly, but it looked like it was probably cycling through the pages, I could see control knobs flashing up. It was moving fast, probably 10 pages per second or so. AxEdit was still responding normally. I ended up switching to Bank 1 Preset 2 and it switched successfully but still had the same problem. I shut down AxEdit and it continued. I cycled the power on Ax8 and it went away. No more problems after that.
I'm using current version of Ax8 and AxEdit, on Win 10. Clearly a problem during rehearsal so much more recoverable than during a performance.
Ideas on cause/ how to prevent? Thanks all-

It sounds as if the AX8 is cycling through the blocks as if the EDIT button on the AX8 is being triggered. Perhaps it is a dirty switch contact.

Please try the following steps to clear the button of any dust:

1) Turn the AX8 off.
2) Press down firmly on the EDIT button for a second or two.
3) Rapidly press the EDIT button a good half-dozen times.
4) Power the AX8 back on.

Followed above instructions. The weirdness hasn't come back, so I'll assume it helped. And I went ahead and gave a quick cleaning like that to every other button on there, just in case :)
It hasn't been dirty, and I've kept it safe the whole time I've had it... But, I guess anything you're meant to step on has the potential for the occasional shoe dirt to wreak some havoc.
Thanks again-

Hi, I have also been experiencing weird issues with my AX8 which I have not seen before. This has now happened three time in last couple of months. Issue is as follows:
- am playing my own saved presets and scenes on bank 33 and had been doing so for some time; FW was 8.02,
- then after some time all the blocks on the AX8 went blank
- I did not recognise what happened the first time and could not resolve until I powered down and up again
- second time, first the preset changed from bank 33 preset 1 to bank 33 preset 2
- then the bank changed to bank 32 which was empty with no presets so all the block went blank
- switching back to bank 33 preset 1 fixed the issue
- however tonight for the third time, playing bank 33 preset 1 it suddenly switched to bank 32 again which was empty with no presets so all the block went blank again
- switched back to bank 33 and works okay again.

I am concerned that this will happen during a gig.

I have just upgraded to FW 9.02 but based on the releases notes not expecting this will resolve the issue. I am also going to copy bank 33 presets to bank 32 in hope this may lessen impact of this issue during a gig.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris P.

Running 9.03. I have had (and am still occasionally having) scenes spontaneously changing of their own accord in some of my presets. The initial occurrence was in a Marshall preset, I moved it to another location and it seems to have stopped in that preset, but it is now beginning to occur on a Dumble preset. Seems to always be a move from a higher gain (higher numbered) preset to minimum gain preset (scene 1) regardless of the preset.

I have also experienced a volume cut-out or drop (not sure which, band was playing, so if volume just dropped really low would not have been able to hear it) during a gig that thankfully was seemingly fixed by going from the preset and then back again during the song. Of course, the volume dropped out just when I was about to do a solo, so that kind of sucked. I was running it connected to FracPad on my tablet. I'm a little unhappy with these occurrences, they didn't start until last fall (version 8 something) of and have lost some confidence in the AX8 at this point, so I haven't used the AX8 at a gig since the volume cut-out back in early December, I use it just to woodshed at home, I want to see if and how often the issues (in particular the volume loss) occurs again. I'm relying on my little backup pedalboard and my Katana to get me through gigs until I can figure out what is going on and get it fixed.

Experienced the same issue on 9.03 with AX8edit. I loaded a preset from Axe Exchange, all lights around the knobs went dark, display cycling.
Changing the preset stopped cycling, but no tone (knobs kept at lowest value / no lights and won't accept any changes).

Gone away after switching off/on.

Sounds like problems on saving presets somehow.

The spontaneous scene change is happening much more frequently on the first preset I noticed it last summer, my go-to Marshall Plexi 50 - based preset. Last night I fired up my AX8 to work on some tunes and I went to my Marshall go-to and almost immediately after selecting a higher gain scene it popped back to the minimum gain scene. I was playing for about 15 minutes and it happened three times. It is also beginning to occur on another preset I created a few weeks back using the ODS amp to get the Robben Ford "Cannonball Shuffle" tone. I havent noticed it occurring in other presets. Yet.:confused: BTW, USB was not connected.

Workaround is to create a different Marshall go-to preset to use, but I am now a bit gun-shy about using my AX8 live or recording, as I don't know when a given preset may act up. The volume drop issue is also very annoying, and seemed to happen particularly when playing live, although less frequently. I may also try rolling back the fw to pre-8.02. It was early last summer when this began, about the time 8.02 came out.

In the meantime I am using my backup pedalboard and my Katana, but I have a Helix coming in a few days to try out and see how it works for me in case this is not resolved, which doesn't seem likely anytime soon...:(

Last edited:
The spontaneous scene change is happening much more frequently on the first preset I noticed it last summer, my go-to Marshall Plexi 50 - based preset. Last night I fired up my AX8 to work on some tunes and I went to my Marshall go-to and almost immediately after selecting a higher gain scene it popped back to the minimum gain scene. I was playing for about 15 minutes and it happened three times. It is also beginning to occur on another preset I created a few weeks back using the ODS amp to get the Robben Ford "Cannonball Shuffle" tone. I havent noticed it occurring in other presets. Yet.:confused: BTW, USB was not connected.

Workaround is to create a different Marshall go-to preset to use, but I am now a bit gun-shy about using my AX8 live or recording, as I don't know when a given preset may act up. The volume drop issue is also very annoying, and seemed to happen particularly when playing live, although less frequently. I may also try rolling back the fw to pre-8.02. It was early last summer when this began, about the time 8.02 came out.

In the meantime I am using my backup pedalboard and my Katana, but I have a Helix coming in a few days to try out and see how it works for me in case this is not resolved, which doesn't seem likely anytime soon...:(
i think we haven't seen your report because it is buried in some other post that was already resolved, or at least was posted 2 years ago.

can you copy/paste or similar and create a new thread please? thanks.

Back
Top Bottom